BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #23
nicoz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
I installed mine this past weekend. The install went smoothly. The only slow part was removing the strange hose connections on the OEM tube.

Also, I found it easier to remove the 45° elbow on the intake tube and then install the u-bend hose instead of installing it while in place.

I cut the tab on the plastic engine cover. It's so far back there that no one will ever see it, and it really does make a huge difference as far as room goes.

Here are some pics:
Do you think it will still fit even without cutting the engine cover?
Do you think you will need to take to cowl out again to empty the can?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoz View Post
Do you think it will still fit even without cutting the engine cover?
Do you think you will need to take to cowl out again to empty the can?

Thank you
It's possible it will fit without the tab being cut off, but it would probably require alot of adjusting of the hoses to get it to land in just the right spot. And even then I think the tab would be putting some amount of pressure on the hose.

I am hoping I will be able to fit my hand in there to remove the bottom can, but I am sure it will be very difficult, especially when it is full of oil. Removing the cowl isn't that bad, but I would worry that the screw threads are not made to handle the constant in and out.
      03-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #25
nicoz
Private First Class
Rep

Ok... thanks... mine's going in very soon!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #26
steve457
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I was able to install mine without cutting the engine cover. The hose is pinched just slightly, but not enough really to be concerned about IMO. It was a bit difficult getting the hoses positioned correctly in order to get the catch can in place, but it definitely can be done. I felt if the J-hose was about 1/2" longer it would make it easier to position the catch can. If you were to trim the engine cover than the hose is plenty long, but with the cover untrimmed it is a tighter fit.

Here's a picture of my install.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #27
nicoz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve457 View Post
I was able to install mine without cutting the engine cover. The hose is pinched just slightly, but not enough really to be concerned about IMO. It was a bit difficult getting the hoses positioned correctly in order to get the catch can in place, but it definitely can be done. I felt if the J-hose was about 1/2" longer it would make it easier to position the catch can. If you were to trim the engine cover than the hose is plenty long, but with the cover untrimmed it is a tighter fit.

Here's a picture of my install.
Thanks for the input!!
Any tips on the install?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #28
steve457
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Here are some tips that may or may not help.

1) In order to remove the clips on the wires to the sensors (on shroud) you need to apply a fair amount of force. They have barbed type teeth that bite into the plastic, so the only way to remove them is really to pull them back towards you hard. I had originally cut the tape holding the wire and only later realized that I could have just pulled the clip off all together. Fortunately I had some gaffer tape laying around so was able to retape the wires back on just like new.

2) The instructions say to connect the catch can to the hoses and remove the air inlet line so that you can swing the can into place. I found you don't really need to remove that air inlet line as you can just push the hoses on the catch can with it pretty much in place.

3) Don't drop any tools into the engine bay! I managed to drop the catch can clip and had to remove part of the bottom pan in order to retrieve it. I also managed to drop a socket with extension attached that to my surprise did not end up landing on the ground. I couldn't find the lost socket for 1/2 hour or so and ended up having to jack up the car and remove the entire lower pan. A total waste of time that could have been avoided!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #29
Bdh821
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

So I have the whole catch can installed and was going to put back the air cowl and noticed it was sticking up. Took off the cowl and noticed the screw heads that hold the catch can to the bracket are hitting it. Is anyone else having this issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #30
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdh821
So I have the whole catch can installed and was going to put back the air cowl and noticed it was sticking up. Took off the cowl and noticed the screw heads that hold the catch can to the bracket are hitting it. Is anyone else having this issue?
Nope no issues with that on mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #31
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve457 View Post
Here are some tips that may or may not help.

1) In order to remove the clips on the wires to the sensors (on shroud) you need to apply a fair amount of force. They have barbed type teeth that bite into the plastic, so the only way to remove them is really to pull them back towards you hard. I had originally cut the tape holding the wire and only later realized that I could have just pulled the clip off all together. Fortunately I had some gaffer tape laying around so was able to retape the wires back on just like new.

2) The instructions say to connect the catch can to the hoses and remove the air inlet line so that you can swing the can into place. I found you don't really need to remove that air inlet line as you can just push the hoses on the catch can with it pretty much in place.

3) Don't drop any tools into the engine bay! I managed to drop the catch can clip and had to remove part of the bottom pan in order to retrieve it. I also managed to drop a socket with extension attached that to my surprise did not end up landing on the ground. I couldn't find the lost socket for 1/2 hour or so and ended up having to jack up the car and remove the entire lower pan. A total waste of time that could have been avoided!

Oh Gawd, good humor.

Were we separated at birth? The trials and tribulations of the home mechanic. I respect your honesty and relate to your mishaps
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #32
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

lol...i dropped a tool in-between the engine and intake manifold...good thing i had the snake magnet to get the tool out.

drace1, maybe you could move the bracket further down the brace to clear the cowl?
I didnt have any issues with fitment, but it was pretty darn close.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #33
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Installed mine last night, just in time for a track day next week! Also gave my FMIC a very good clean which will go back in soon. Highly recommended after doing this, so much gunk came out. I couldn't put the engine cover back on so I'll need to modify it sometime very soon if I get time. Overall, very happy with the fitment, looks very stealth. Hope to catch some oil soon Pics to come...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #34
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
We installed Franklin's catch can on my 1M last night and had no fitment issues and didn't have to cut the engine cover. We did have to play around with the can location in order for the wind cowl to fit.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #35
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Trimmed back my engine cover, fits perfectly now. Haven't tried putting the cowl back on as I usually run without it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #36
Keanu111
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW M4C, 2014 AW X6M

Hey how do you take off that top piece in the engine so I can access all this?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #37
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

there should be a diy somewhere on removing the cowl.

Here's a quick guide.

Remove 2 covers on each end. 6 8mm bolts that holds the cabin filter. 2 8mm bolts that hold the cowl. Remove 1 or 2 sensors on the cowl. there's a wire harness that's clipped onto the cowl up front, remove those. Gently pull the cowl out, it touches the brake reservoir.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #38
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

For those of you who have had the can on for a while, is it catching oil? If so, how much?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #39
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Catchings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshanny View Post
For those of you who have had the can on for a while, is it catching oil? If so, how much?
Yes, it is catching oil. After 5,000 miles the catch can caught about a tablespoon of oil. The catchings appear to be a little thinner than the engine oil and the color is black.
Attached Images

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #40
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Sorry to revive an old-ish thread, but I tried to install the BMS OCC on my 135i and failed miserably.

Got the cowl off fine, but couldn't for the life of me get those stupid clips off at either end of the stock hose. What's the trick to doing it? I was using small screwdrivers to wedge both clips up, then htrying to pull the tube off, but it wouldn't budge. In the end I had to give up as I ran out of light. It didn't help that I lost the screwdrivers down into the bottom of the engine bay 3 times and had to get the jacks out to retrieve them. Grrrr.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #41
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Anybody? Sorry to keep on, but. Really wanna get my OCC installed, so any tips on getting those clips off the stock hose would be great. Spent ages trying to no avail last time.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #42
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Is anyone getting any good results with their unit?
A tablespoon of oil over 5000 miles doesn't sound like much at all
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #43
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
Anybody? Sorry to keep on, but. Really wanna get my OCC installed, so any tips on getting those clips off the stock hose would be great. Spent ages trying to no avail last time.
I remember fighting something or another when I installed mine. Let me know which one you are talking about from the install directions. Ill go and look on my car this weekend and let you know.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #44
SteveAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i Cab

Figured I'd put this out there for people looking.

I got my OCC 3050 miles ago. I pulled it off after 1600 miles and it only had a residue. However, I wasn't fully tuned yet.

Just pulled it off again after another 1450 miles. Fully tuned now and frequently hitting 18psi and tapering to 15psi.

Here are the pics of what I discovered today.

2013 F10--JB4/BM3
2015 F82--Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP & PI--PS2 Turbos-- JB4/BM3-FBO
Appreciate 0