BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM e82 135i

130i N54 upgrade

Just wanted to sound out people's thoughts on upgrading to the N54?

I've heard it's doable but fiddly at best due to wiring?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
xcharles1
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

You read my mind, BMWlady. I was just thinking about that the other day. Can't wait to hear some thoughts from other members.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
Newby
1Mtech
Rep
Drives: BMW

Engine+gear box will be a bolt in affair, I'm unsure about the prop shaft. Run N54 DME+CAS(and engine harness) and key set plus locks barrels from a 135i. You would need to get the car programmed, I suspect the JBE and DSC will be ok.

Would be advantageous to buy a 135i that had been rear ended so you could fit all the front end items(cooling system, intercooler etc) too.

This conversion would be costly and could turn into a shit fight without dealer resources. I havent personally looked into this conversion, but there is no reason it wouldn't be easy enough to achieve with some forward planning.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Its been done before. Last year a 1Addict member from Sweden(?) finished a black e87, 1M hatch conversion. It was a black car and had some seriously flared rear fenders. The whole car was very hot looking!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
ALEJANDRO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 1M 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Its been done before. Last year a 1Addict member from Sweden(?) finished a black e87, 1M hatch conversion. It was a black car and had some seriously flared rear fenders. The whole car was very hot looking!
any way we can see a pic of the car?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #6
Newby
1Mtech
Rep

Fairly sure the N54 powered E87 Dack speaks of was in an issue of Performance BMW mid way through this year?

Update - you would also need JBE from doner N54 vehicle along with CAS and DME
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Here you go http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...light=1m+hatch
Simple search of 1m and Hatch turned it up
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWlady View Post
Just wanted to sound out people's thoughts on upgrading to the N54?

I've heard it's doable but fiddly at best due to wiring?
I'm doing it myself, New engine, gearbox, custom driveshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
Engine+gear box will be a bolt in affair, I'm unsure about the prop shaft. Run N54 DME+CAS(and engine harness) and key set plus locks barrels from a 135i. You would need to get the car programmed, I suspect the JBE and DSC will be ok.

Would be advantageous to buy a 135i that had been rear ended so you could fit all the front end items(cooling system, intercooler etc) too.

This conversion would be costly and could turn into a shit fight without dealer resources. I havent personally looked into this conversion, but there is no reason it wouldn't be easy enough to achieve with some forward planning.
Yep, perfectly 100% bolt on, driveshaft lengths depend if you swap out the diff and halfshafts too, for a 130i though, custom driveshaft yes, not too exxy though.

The DME, i'm currently looking through BMW TIS stuff just to confirm it's all perfectly PnP.. i'm 99% sure, it's a cakewalk.. only coding is AT>MT if that's the job.
don't need new lock barrels if you keep your old key, just swap the physical key into the new fob lol

i didn't know enough when i started, but really nothing has come up that's TOO hard so far, everything is pretty smooth.

it's a good chance to 'upgrade' things like that intercooler, if you don't get a full halfcut... things like radiator/PS/etc. all fit on as same parts.

you NEED the new gearbox, starter motors are 100% opposite sides of the bellhousing, as well as bolt patterns differing.

Quote:
Fairly sure the N54 powered E87 Dack speaks of was in an issue of Performance BMW mid way through this year?

no you don't, the JBE between models has the same things.. you'd be surprised at how many parts are IDENTICAL between models

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/09/87/85

ED: ok, it depends what module you're talking about, and what side f the swap it's on

anything on the car side of the ECU, don't matter, it'll work with all your auxiliary stuff no worries...

engine side, of course it matters and it should come with the engine!, it's more a part of the ECU than anything else in that case...

Last edited by flinchy; 12-13-2012 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Newby
1Mtech
Rep

^^ wow awsome swap to undertake man!!!

I think N54 powered E87 is the best swap around atm. In regards to JBE, the JB(junction box) itself should be fine, I wasnt sure whether the JBE(junction box electronics control unit) would need to be swapped. It would plug into the E87 JB tho if it was required. It was just a thought, Id be interested to know what you did here?

LOL about Key, I must have been having a moment... not sure what i was thinking haha. Just need FOB to match dme/cas, which im sure would come with your engine/half cut/wreck you would buy.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #10
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
^^ wow awsome swap to undertake man!!!

I think N54 powered E87 is the best swap around atm. In regards to JBE, the JB(junction box) itself should be fine, I wasnt sure whether the JBE(junction box electronics control unit) would need to be swapped. It would plug into the E87 JB tho if it was required. It was just a thought, Id be interested to know what you did here?

LOL about Key, I must have been having a moment... not sure what i was thinking haha. Just need FOB to match dme/cas, which im sure would come with your engine/half cut/wreck you would buy.
where abouts is the JBE located?... i found the part numbers/what it looks like blah blah.. i'm still trying to get the TIS software working, it's a huge PITA..

all i have here is the CAS module (6943830) and the DME (inc the white plastic box it sits in, 7604567 ) as well as the 335i dash cluster.. plus the fully wired up engine of course

and the key fob, yeah

the guy who did the full 1m style swap, there's no real 'details' on it, nor does he reply... everythign i do, will be well documented.. any hurdles i find, i'll put em on the internet for anyone else that wants to swap in an N54 >_<
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #11
Newby
1Mtech
Rep

JBE is in LH front passenger footwell mounted on firewall. The JB Incorperates the fuse box, and the JBE( this control unit is the "gateway" module on e8x,e9x, etc). It slides into the junction box and there is 2 x plugs on the front of the control unit.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #12
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM e82 135i

Flinchy,

Where are you getting the driveshaft done? I'm having trouble sourcing somewhere in Australia for a custom job

I've sourced an engine from a 135, the original owner is upgrading his engine, I assume it will still have the same issues you've mentioned?
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #13
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWlady View Post
Flinchy,

Where are you getting the driveshaft done? I'm having trouble sourcing somewhere in Australia for a custom job

I've sourced an engine from a 135, the original owner is upgrading his engine, I assume it will still have the same issues you've mentioned?
i know who you are now, just stumbled on this thread lol

heaps of places, like hardy spicer, driveline services aus etc. easy to find on google lol

Quote:

and since i just stumbled on this thread, i just re-read this post and as always, worry about things i haven't checked --

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...93&hg=61&fg=25 - list of 130i JBE part numbers

and if you search globally for any of those part numbers, it shows various 3 series (inc 335i/335xi) and 1 series (e87 at least, not E82).. hard to find much on the JBE, but even when it needs replacing, it's not a module that needs coding it seems, it's just a quick replace.. i gathered all it does it

and
http://www.bawarec.ru/manuals/3er/e9...3er-e90-12.pdf

is a training document for the electronics system, basically says the JBE can be configured as per equipment loadouts... so keeping my current JBE is the best idea since it's going to be set up for the same equipment (it means my rear windows and doors should still work as it's THIS module that knows they're there.. i think lol)

and upon further reading, it's what bridges the internal electronics with the DME, so thanks for making me look it up.. eventually. haha. i was still kinda wondering how it all hooked up.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 03:34 PM   #14
Marshan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

2006 130i n54 swap

Hey , guys need detailed info on swapping my wrecked 2006 335i motor into a 2006 130i

Cheers
Appreciate 0