BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
denfion
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Finally long cranks.. HPFP??

Recently the 135i has a strange long crank, as long as I drive the car everyday, the engine start is ok and quick, but if I leave the car in the garage couple days, I will get a really long cranks and sometime couldn't even start.

I've sent the car back to Autoclassic, and the service rep did mention that there is some issue with the HPFP for the 1ers and they will look at it.

Leaving the car at the dealership for two days and the rep called and explained they have performed all test and even check up the parts number for the HPFP, and found out that the HPFP is fine, so they can't replace it because there is no fault and did a software update.

Today I tried to start the car after leaving in garage for two days, a tiny long cranks happens, as I can see the rev is trying hard to go up from 0 during start up.

For those of you with the HPFP issue, do you have the long cranks everyday?
      05-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
The way I found out was to take the car onto a highway onramp, slow down, drop it into second and then floor it, running high into the revs. Probably best to ensure that there aren't any cars directly behind you, as, if your HPFP is cactus, the car will fart and drop into limp mode.

I never got any long cranks but the onramp trick worked well enough that the dealership knew there was something drastically wrong.
      05-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I found out when my car wouldnt start and I was stuck in my office car park and had to call BMW roadside assist.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
denfion
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

What I'm planning to do is leave the car in garage for couple days, then I will try to start up the car and if it fails, I will call up Auto classic and tow the car to them. Then I think they should be able to find out something.

Agree?
      05-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

Ive had similar issues before with my car when I travelled overseas. When I came back to Perth around 2 weeks I had a long crank the first time i tried to fire it up, and basically not long after the HPFP died on me, ironically I was actually on my way to autoclassic

They saw my car on limp mode and Im pretty sure they replaced my HPFP. I haven't had any issues since then and my car is a daily driver too!

Is this your first HPFP? or has it been replaced before??
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
denfion
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Still the first and factory HPFP. Honestly this long cranks issue has been happening for quite some time, I would say more than couple months, but sadly the car is still ok to drive..