BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Triangle BMW Dealer Service?

I've started getting long cranks on cold starts (at 3881 miles). Not horribly long cranks yet, but I know what's coming. I have not taken my car into any dealer for warranty work (and it's not due for regular maintenance till Nov 2010), so I'm wondering if folks can recommend either BMW Performance in CH or Leith in Raleigh? To be candid, I've not heard anything good about either service shop. 2010 BSM 135i (Nov 09 build). Thanks!!

pge
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
Mutilator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 AW 135i

I don't have any experience with Performance so I can't say good or bad things about them other than what I've seen online.

I've been dealing with Mark Aliano @ Leith BMW since I got my car and haven't had any problems. My HPFP actually went out the day I had my exhaust installed - no warning signs just a long crank and immediate check engine/half engine light that afternoon. When I took it in I told them that I had just installed an exhaust that morning and at lunch I had a very long crank and immediate CEL. They agreed that the 2 shouldn't/couldn't be connected and took a look at it and determined it was the HPFP and replaced it under warranty same day - no questions asked and no hassles about the exhaust. They also don't seem to care about the Injen intake. Of course I've also made it very clear my car isn't tuned and probably won't be unless I get a 2nd car and/or my warranty expires.

On a side note when I had to send my exhaust back to CP-E to have the stealth pipe welded on I actually stopped by Leith and got the box to ship it in - they walked me back showed me the boxes they had and said take your pick.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilator View Post
I don't have any experience with Performance so I can't say good or bad things about them other than what I've seen online. ...
I've been dealing with Mark Aliano @ Leith BMW since I got my car and haven't had any problems. ... .
Thanks for the info! I've heard one first-hand horror story about Performance from a person I've known for years such that I recommended he call BMW NA and complain (he owns a 2010 5-series).

I still want to hear those cp-e pipes! And the lunch offer still stands. The only day generally not good for me is Thursdays, otherwise with a little notice I can work around most other times. Tralii at Brier Creek would be convenient for me.

pge
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
Mutilator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 AW 135i

Yeah, yeah I knew that was coming but I haven't been in CH or near Brier Creek in several weeks and during the week I never know how my service calls will be spread out or if my lunch will be at 1:00 or 5:00.

You must know someone at Trali, or really like your Irish food.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilator View Post
... You must know someone at Trali, or really like your Irish food.
Maybe the Irish stout? Food's not bad either. Seriously, if you around this area and it's convenient give me a call (PM me if you need a number). I came within an inch of getting the same cp-e midpipes you originally had, but went with a Meisterschaft axle-back at the last minute, so I really curious.

pge
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
richsnuc
Retired USN LT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M60i Avus Blue/Coffee

I took my 135 to Performance for intermittent SES and the reduced power warning light. They diagnosed it to be "wallered out" bearing ledges, as other N54 owners have experienced...replaced without issue and rented me a car to get back and forth to work (no loaners available). I'll go back.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsnuc View Post
I took my 135 to Performance for intermittent SES and the reduced power warning light. They diagnosed it to be "wallered out" bearing ledges, as other N54 owners have experienced...replaced without issue and rented me a car to get back and forth to work (no loaners available). I'll go back.
Good to know. Did you purchase your 135 there?

pge
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
For those with the "long cranks".....

I had the first pump replaced after the now-standard long crank/cut in hp experience.

But recently, I was getting them again. Turns out that it can happen with HPFP's that are fine. If you get the long cranks, have the BMW Service Technician load the current software upgrade. It specifically fixes a "fault" that causes the long cranks.

Then, if still long cranks, you know for sure it is a bad pump.
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)