BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
billy s
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 123d

Front suspension noise driving me crazy, please help!

Hi everyone,
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction as to where my front suspension clunk noise is coming from.
My 123 has Bilstein B12 suspension & for the last few months I have had a clunk noise from the drivers side front at slow speed, I hear it whenever I come to a stop & when I pull away. I have replaced the anti roll bar links on both sides & I have also had both strut top mounts replaced by my local indy. The clunk is more pronounced after a drive & the car has warmed up. All other ball joints & bushes appear to be in good condition with no excessive play.
If I get under the bonnet & push down on the area at the top of the suspension strut I hear the clunk noise, the noise appears to be coming from somewhere at the top of the suspension. I have disconnected the brace that goes from the top of the strut to the bulkhead & the noise is still present so it's not related to the brace.
Any ideas anyone?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

The only thing really at the top is the top of the strut and the upper mount. Maybe a bad strut making noise and transferring to the upper mount? Would make sense with the change in hot to cold. Shock oil gets thinner as it warms up.

Could also be the body where the strut mounts are attached has mushroomed up a bit and is no longer flat, causing the upper mount to sit with a bit of a gap, which could cause a clunking noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
billy s
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 123d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Could also be the body where the strut mounts are attached has mushroomed up a bit and is no longer flat, causing the upper mount to sit with a bit of a gap, which could cause a clunking noise.
Thank you for the quick reply. I've just put a straight edge across the top of the body where the strut top mount attaches & it appears to be flat. I cannot get all the way around the top due to the bolts & brace but it appears flat where I can check & is identical to the other side which doesn't make a noise.
Appreciate 0