BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Feels Like the Power Steering Cuts Out - Thoughts?

I've had my 2011 135i vert since new. Almost no problems, but something has cropped up recently. Three times in the past few months, it's felt like the power steering has dropped out. It's not extremely difficult to steer when it happens, but it's definitely much heavier than normal. When I turn the car off, and restart it, the problem goes away.

The first time, it just happened as I was driving to the dealer for routine service (good timing!). They said they captured a fault code, and IIRC, they replaced a sensor or somesuch. But it's happened twice since - once when I hit a major pothole (and destroyed a runflat), and the other time when the car was in a fender-bender.

The car has Active Steering.

I need to call the dealer, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. Thanks.
      04-28-2014, 05:28 AM   #2
135i_N54_GUY
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M Performance

My baby (also a 135i) tends to do this every now and then. Try checking the power steering fluid. :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #3
Brewer Bill
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Reviving this thread because the same thing happened to me today. Hit a serious pothole quite hard, then it felt very heavy when turning. Pulled over, restarted, and it seems to be ok other than the occasional vibration that I am pretty sure is just in my head...
      07-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep

Will be taking my car into the shop soon - hopefully, they can diagnose it.
      07-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
Brewer Bill
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I will definitely be interested in hearing what they have to say about it.

I just noticed you are in Arlington, what shop do you use?
      07-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep

I use Passport in Marlow Heights. They replaced the steering angle sensor, which I believe is what they replaced last time, too. Funny thing: I was just doing some online research about BMW's Active Steering, and now I'm not so sure there was a problem in the first place - BMW says "...at the first sign of any problems, an adaptation mechanism blocks the Active Steering immediately using a pivot so that the driver is permanenty in control of the situation." Hmmm....

Here's the full BMW description:

"The new dimension in steering comfort: Active Steering offers precision, agility and comfort in every driving situation.

At the heart of the new Active Steering system is the planetary gear set integrated into the steering column. An electric motor in the joint adjusts the front wheels' steering angle in proportion to the Sedan's current speed.

When driving at lower speeds - such as in city traffic, when parking or on winding mountain roads, Active Steering increases the size of the steering angle. The front wheels respond immediately to small movements of the steering wheel, enabling the driver to manoeuvre through tight spaces without needing to make multiple turns of the steering wheel. Parking is easier and agility enhanced.

At medium speeds, steering is also easier. And to ensure smoothness at higher speeds, as of around 120 to 140 km/h (depending on the model) Active Steering becomes more indirect.

Active Steering therefore reduces the amount of change in the steering angle for every movement of the steering wheel. This gives the driver the advantage of more precise steering at higher speeds, and ensures great stability and more comfort.

If the vehicle is threatened with instability, such as by oversteering or braking on a changeable surface, DSC identifies the problem and can use Active Steering to help overcome it. For example, in order to reduce unsafe yaw, Active Steering can increase the angle of steering wheels faster than even the most expert driver.

Active Steering does not interrupt the direct connection between steering wheel and front wheels, so that even in the unlikely event of a complete failure of the electronic systems, the BMW remains completely controllable at all times. This is because at the first sign of any problems, an adaptation mechanism blocks the Active Steering immediately using a pivot so that the driver is permanenty in control of the situation."