BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2017, 10:48 PM   #1
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Oil change via oil extraction

Recently bought the oil extractor from Bav Auto. Yes, I cannot use it on my E82 but I have other cars. Used it today on wifes Audi TT. Now the TT has a large plastic belly pan that must be removed & it has about 20 attach points using 3 or 4 different screws/bolts. The oil filter is right up top on the engine. Oil extraction was incredibly easy/simple with this tool and with the filter right there, the oil change went quick. Now I fully understand the thinking that residue in the bottom of the pan will not all be removed (but most of us do so many oil changes that there should not be any appreciable residue) but most here should be doing 2 or 3 changes a year. In that case, 1 of those 3 could be done the old way. I can see cases (track day) where you might want to change the oil but not the filter.
Additionally, I am considering buying a mid size cruiser boat, one which will likely have 2 engines. Boat engines always have their oil removed by this extraction method. I hope to do most of my own boat maintenance so this new tool will pay for itself with just 1 oil change.
Hell, I can even use it on the lawnmower.
Motorcycle - TBD
Bav Auto have a video in their "blog" or DIY section.
Appreciate 0