BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #617
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

enjoy. it was my first warm up lap. so I was kinda of scared of some of the traffic my adrenaline was out the roof. lol

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #618
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

@ kobe.....I could only imagine how much fun that experience was....
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #619
shadowiix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

once i get my hid problems fixed, perhaps i will get that intake manifold everyone seems to be interested. giving some life to a dead horse me thinks.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #620
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Hey guys, I'm new on here, and to the bimmer world. I traded in my 04' Rsx-S for an '08 Sedona Red 128i. So far I love the car, its a perfect commuter, kind of want some opinions on where I could find maybe a different set of headlights other than factory that would look good? I restored the stock ones yesterday wet sanding the fog out, but I still feel theres a little more to be desired.

I've looked through quite a few of the pages on here, but I figured it might be easier if I just asked out right. Maybe any other little cosmetic changes I could do to add some spark to the exterior?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #621
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye DC5 View Post
Hey guys, I'm new on here, and to the bimmer world. I traded in my 04' Rsx-S for an '08 Sedona Red 128i. So far I love the car, its a perfect commuter, kind of want some opinions on where I could find maybe a different set of headlights other than factory that would look good? I restored the stock ones yesterday wet sanding the fog out, but I still feel theres a little more to be desired.

I've looked through quite a few of the pages on here, but I figured it might be easier if I just asked out right. Maybe any other little cosmetic changes I could do to add some spark to the exterior?

Thanks!
welcome! i used to have a ep3 back in my day with the DC5 swap what are you looking to do to them? the euro look with clear corners? what do u have? HIDs or halogen?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #622
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

At a base level, aftermarket headlights tend to be much worse than the stock BMW units(these aren't Fords).

That said, there are companies like Lightwerkz who perform TSX projector retrofits into BMW housings. If you are looking for more functional light output, something like that would be your best bet.

BMW Performance rear CF winglet adds quite a bit to the exterior.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #623
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Yep^ i have Depo v1's with SMG dual firing LED's replacing the crappy stock LED's and my passenger side lets water in for seemingly no reason. Other than that they're fantastic and susbtantially better than the shitty OEM halogens.
      06-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #624
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
Yep^ i have Depo v1's with SMG dual firing LED's replacing the crappy stock LED's and my passenger side lets water in for seemingly no reason. Other than that they're fantastic and susbtantially better than the shitty OEM halogens.
Yeah, the OEM hologens are crappy by design to make you feel the pain of not optioning in Xenons.
      06-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #625
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hey, if i ordered the car myself i'd always get xenons. The sad thing is the previous owner didnt agree.

I still long await the day i find euro non AHL headlights that are reasonably priced.
      06-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #626
Dafttt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

What Gray_Panther did is nothing short of impressive. I'd contact a shop and see what they could do if I had stock housings. That being said, resale value does apply.
Depo's look nice and I've owned a set prior. They started to spiderweb crack along the corners pretty quick unfortunately. Not a bad cosmetic upgrade for a couple years, but know what you're buying.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #627
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Auto View Post
What Gray_Panther did is nothing short of impressive. I'd contact a shop and see what they could do if I had stock housings. That being said, resale value does apply.
Depo's look nice and I've owned a set prior. They started to spiderweb crack along the corners pretty quick unfortunately. Not a bad cosmetic upgrade for a couple years, but know what you're buying.
All that and he left the orange corners.

Powerbulbs.com 85w H7 is where I would start if I had the halogens. That said, TFX or FX-R projectors are some of the best in the market.

Frankly it is criminal that xenons aren't standard in these cars.
      07-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #628
128IB
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNEM_128i View Post

I wish the 128i had more threads etc....i always see the same exact threads. Nothing really new. Is there another forums dedicated to the 128i? that has more of an audience.

I dont know if this is just me but I like the 128i more then the 135i.... way more reliable, might not be as fast but so what? lol

More 128i performance parts please?!?! lol
I love the 128i so much I have two of them! I agree that the reliability and performance are excellent. The power is ideal for my type of driving which consists of tight twisty mountain roads. Like the Lotus Elise I used to drive, it is all about the handling. Lighter weight with the M Sport package are the key to getting the most out of the car. On both my 128s, I opted for no frills. Manual with M Package only. That way there is no heavy sunroof at the top of the car, no unnecessary electronics to go wrong, and no marshmallow seats to slide out of. The inline NA 6 cylinder motor is everything I could ever want from the car for immediate throttle response, great torquey pull, and smooth transitions during gear changes. It is such a gem of a motor, I wanted to order my second car before they stopped offering it and go to a 4 cylinder in the 2 Series. My second car will get a few upgrades such as the BMW Performance brakes, and I did put on a set of 18" BMW 113 M series rims and tires, but all in all, I do not think they are necessary to enjoy the car beyond most people's driving ability. My totally stock 128 still blows my mind every time I get it into the corners on Mulholland or Hwy 33. I think the best thing you can do to make the car close to perfect is to simply stiffen the rear suspension bushings. So as far as I am concerned, I have enough love for the 128i to go around.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #629
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128IB View Post
I love the 128i so much I have two of them! I agree that the reliability and performance are excellent. The power is ideal for my type of driving which consists of tight twisty mountain roads. Like the Lotus Elise I used to drive, it is all about the handling. Lighter weight with the M Sport package are the key to getting the most out of the car. On both my 128s, I opted for no frills. Manual with M Package only. That way there is no heavy sunroof at the top of the car, no unnecessary electronics to go wrong, and no marshmallow seats to slide out of. The inline NA 6 cylinder motor is everything I could ever want from the car for immediate throttle response, great torquey pull, and smooth transitions during gear changes. It is such a gem of a motor, I wanted to order my second car before they stopped offering it and go to a 4 cylinder in the 2 Series. My second car will get a few upgrades such as the BMW Performance brakes, and I did put on a set of 18" BMW 113 M series rims and tires, but all in all, I do not think they are necessary to enjoy the car beyond most people's driving ability. My totally stock 128 still blows my mind every time I get it into the corners on Mulholland or Hwy 33. I think the best thing you can do to make the car close to perfect is to simply stiffen the rear suspension bushings. So as far as I am concerned, I have enough love for the 128i to go around.
Skip the brakes and do the manifold.
      07-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #630
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
^yep, the factory performance brakes are pretty rubbish, whereas the factory 3 stage manifold is kickass.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #631
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep

SO after a day of living with my newly installed SSK(just the shaft+new bearing and clips and fresh grease) and my stock 135i exhaust mated to 128 mids.. i've determined the that the exhaust sounds great, albeit WAY quieter than my AA(welcome to my ears after all the drone), and i also have a bit more low end torque in the lower rev range. The SSK is amazing, the throws are much shorter than i expected but extremely nice. The only downside is it requires a bit more push to get into each gear, but nothing noticeably different. My manifold comes sometime this week or early next week, and hopefully i can get a dyno before i lose my patience and install it.
      07-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #632
Badabing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 228xi Vert. Black on Blac

Glad it sounds good! You have any audio?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #633
Dafttt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
SO after a day of living with my newly installed SSK(just the shaft+new bearing and clips and fresh grease) and my stock 135i exhaust mated to 128 mids.. i've determined the that the exhaust sounds great, albeit WAY quieter than my AA(welcome to my ears after all the drone), and i also have a bit more low end torque in the lower rev range. The SSK is amazing, the throws are much shorter than i expected but extremely nice. The only downside is it requires a bit more push to get into each gear, but nothing noticeably different. My manifold comes sometime this week or early next week, and hopefully i can get a dyno before i lose my patience and install it.

Sounds like you're paving a path for me to follow!

I know a few of us here would love a sound clip if you got the time or equipment
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #634
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Auto View Post

Sounds like you're paving a path for me to follow!

I know a few of us here would love a sound clip if you got the time or equipment
intereted too, hope its near the levels of the german 125i's

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #635
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Off topic, but I wanted to thank all of you folks for helping to solidify a recent but great decision.

Wanting to get into something new, I tried a number of new things, a C class, something Hondacura, and a 3 series, or as I learned here a E92. Yes, other than the used 318 "Rick Astley edition" I had for a limited time back in the early 90's's I am new to BMW.

I read the crap out of this board over the past months and gleaned tons of great information from some really knowledgable people about what I wanted.. A simple car that makes me want to drive the crap out of it.

As my local dealership is a hundred miles away in a huge traffic nightmare, I did most of my inquires via e-mail, drove a 328 and a 135i and settled on a 28i.. Mostly from the pride I recognized from the people on this board.. I ordered it from the Fatherland and it showed up last weekend.

The car is amazing and everything you folks say it is.. Effortless and smooth speed, predictable and forgiving handling from stock suspension, a "sound" that brings a modest smile and no regrets when you hop in it and hear it climb through the gears..

I can't wait to start considering where I want to take it performance wise, but for now, I'm just enjoying the hell out of a really well designed and simple vehicle..

Thanks again for the push over the edge and I look forward to learning a lot from everyone here.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #636
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsche-Broke View Post
The car is amazing and everything you folks say it is.. Effortless and smooth speed, predictable and forgiving handling from stock suspension, a "sound" that brings a modest smile and no regrets when you hop in it and hear it climb through the gears..

I can't wait to start considering where I want to take it performance wise, but for now, I'm just enjoying the hell out of a really well designed and simple vehicle..

Thanks again for the push over the edge and I look forward to learning a lot from everyone here.

Steve
Congrats...!

Hope we'll get to see some pics in the near future... In the appropriate thread, of course.
      07-05-2013, 01:27 AM   #637
Dafttt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsche-Broke View Post

Steve
Welcome!
Well said. If it weren't for the members here, I'd be dead in the water without a clue.

EDIT: You should immediately jump on a CDV delete if you have a manual trans. Best mod.

Last edited by Dafttt; 07-05-2013 at 02:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #638
Badabing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 228xi Vert. Black on Blac

The members on here have helped me tremendously as well. Finally starting to figure out exactly how I want my car to look and perform. Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0