BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

BHP gain with no tune but bolt on parts

Was just wondering how much, if any, BHP increase i would see from bolt on mods. I have:

supersprint cat delete DP's
Full supersprint exhaust (cat delete)
AFE stage 2 air intake
Forge Intercooler

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

You're doing things totally backwards. Unless you don't care about power whatsoever, the tune is a must. With that said, you might gain an imperceptible amount from the cat delete and the intercooler will help keep you from LOSING power due to heat soak.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
You're doing things totally backwards. Unless you don't care about power whatsoever, the tune is a must. With that said, you might gain an imperceptible amount from the cat delete and the intercooler will help keep you from LOSING power due to heat soak.
I have been running the evolve tune for a couple of years but i removed it and just wondered if the stock ECU would be able to compensate for all the mods and if the car would see an increase in BHP or not. Im thinking it may see about 10bhp.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiysersosae View Post
I have been running the evolve tune for a couple of years but i removed it and just wondered if the stock ECU would be able to compensate for all the mods and if the car would see an increase in BHP or not. Im thinking it may see about 10bhp.

Cheers
The only way to tell honestly is to dyno before and after those mods.

My intake claims 13bhp (injen) as a standalone mod. So you may total 20bhp with all of that.

I do want to ask though, why does it matter? You probably won't notice anything less than 5-10% of total HP delta. What are you trying to do? Is that 20 bhp important? Let's say you are sitting at 355 bhp now, is that worth all the mods? I am just curious.

I would highly suggest getting a proper tune for it unless the sound of a more freely flowing n54 is all you want.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 12:19 PM   #5
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
im also going to bet 15-20whp max over stock but like Venom
said, you need a dyno before and after.

The more important question, how does the car feel without a tune?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The car feels great without it and turbo spools faster than stock it also, pulls well @15psi, it idles fine, it even returns 30mpg on a motorway run so nothing seems to be different apart from the fact the tune has been removed and my turbo gauge doesn't read 18psi anymore, oh and the exit out of corner is a bit more managed.

I removed the stage 3 tune as I started getting paranoid about longevity of mechanical parts. Do far all has been great apart from clutch, car has 18000miles and us serviced all the time at BMW.

Who has the longest running tuned 1m on here and any reliability issues?

I will get the car on the dyno as my previous dyno setup was 415bhp so I have the benchmark.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 02:19 AM   #7
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

Without the evolve tune (or any aftermarket tune), your running 15psi? Thought the stock setup was max 8-10psi?

With a decatted system you'll most likely be running quite a rich airfuel mixture. There's only so much the stock ecu can accomodate.. If your worried about warranty etc, perhaps a piggyback setup like jb4 or cobb which can be removed before going to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 05:32 PM   #8
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
Without the evolve tune (or any aftermarket tune), your running 15psi? Thought the stock setup was max 8-10psi?

With a decatted system you'll most likely be running quite a rich airfuel mixture. There's only so much the stock ecu can accomodate.. If your worried about warranty etc, perhaps a piggyback setup like jb4 or cobb which can be removed before going to the dealer.
Stock on n54 1m is 14.5psi on overboast. The car is not running rich, iI can tell by mpg and smel.
If an
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #9
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

Ok,
Firstly, after 200 miles the stock ecu will flag up a warning code due to the de cat pipe.
I have to remove my tune for BMW services and some times dont get my tuner to retune the car within 200miles and so have experienced this a few times.
Secondly, Why?
Why would you run the car with those mods without the tune?
The car is louder and has is slightly more punchy( more torque) under load, however the stock set up is way better unless you choose to remap.
Get a live re map done and you'l not put your car under any worrying amounts of stress but will benefitt from having the correct fueling etc to compensate for your mods.

cheers Jamie
      07-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #10
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

You are correct it does light up the engine light but I just check the code with p3 gauge and reset it, it takes about 30 sec so it's not to much of as hassle.

My car runs great with and without the tune, when I had it. Without the tune it returns 32mpg at 70mph on long drives and pulls like a train when wot and I think it's a better car to drive, at times, on tight twisty roads with stock tune. So I don't see no real reasons not have these parts alongside stock tune. Where I live it's mostly twisty bumpy B roads and the car is a handful with full tune on the uneven roads.

I'm would love a live remap but there is no where within 600miles of where I live that would do it. And since I don't have the facility, for the mean time I'm looking at rolling stock and wondered what bhp I would get just doing this. I can't be arsed sticking the stock kit back on.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
OneM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

My car is pretty much like yours ;

- decat mids / test pipe
- Afe stage 2 CAI w scoop
- BMS charge pipe
- Clutchmaster FX350 + CDV removed
- Michelin PSS

I can contest the car pulls like a freight train n perfect for street driving ..honestly I've been contemplating an Evolve stage 1 tune for sometime now. With the car performing as such, I can't see the point of a tune. As it is, off the line (from idle) there's wheel spin 1st & 2nd gear with PSS tyres, ..with a tune (i.e. more boost) it's gonna be worst getting traction. I'm guessing the tune is more for high speed performance, track work or rolling starts..
I drive with 'M button ON' all the time and also after switching to Shell V-power noticed substantial performance difference.
Of all the bolt on mods the biggest performance noticed was the decat mids / test pipe. Stock was extremely restrictive above 4000rpm. 2nd would be Shell V-power fuel (~105RON)
The only way to know 'bolt on' performance gains is to do a dyno before n after. What a dyno won't tell you though is improved throttle response & drivability (i.e. < WOT) which may be gained with stuff like performance airbox .. so numbers aren't everything

Last edited by OneM; 08-02-2015 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #12
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I've got a dyno session on Monday so we will find out how much bhp stock tune makes with these parts and, I've kept it stock for over 500miles so any adaptation of ecu will be as per my driving style wich is lots of b roads and wot overtaking.

Il also be doing some other power runs with a piggy back ecu to see the difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 04:47 PM   #13
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneM View Post
My car is pretty much like yours ;

- decat mids / test pipe
- Afe stage 2 CAI w scoop
- BMS charge pipe
- Clutchmaster FX350 + CDV removed
- Michelin PSS

I can contest the car pulls like a freight train n perfect for street driving ..honestly I've been contemplating an Evolve stage 1 tune for sometime now. With the car performing as such, I can't see the point of a tune. As it is, off the line (from idle) there's wheel spin 1st & 2nd gear with PSS tyres, ..with a tune (i.e. more boost) it's gonna be worst getting traction. I'm guessing the tune is more for high speed performance, track work or rolling starts..
I drive with 'M button ON' all the time and also after switching to Shell V-power noticed substantial performance difference.
Of all the bolt on mods the biggest performance noticed was the decat mids / test pipe. Stock was extremely restrictive above 4000rpm. 2nd would be Shell V-power fuel (~105RON)
The only way to know 'bolt on' performance gains is to do a dyno before n after. What a dyno won't tell you though is improved throttle response & drivability (i.e. < WOT) which may be gained with stuff like performance airbox .. so numbers aren't everything

Agree with all your comments. I always run shell v power.
For me, Stock tune is ace fun with these mods, the only time 415bhp + etc is good is on motorway or track. For UK roads 380 390bhp is best for this car in my opinion..

Anyways the car is ace

Last edited by kiysersosae; 08-11-2015 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #14
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

OK I have the dyno run. Stock was impressive 365 at crank and final run with my custom evolve tune where I was looking for 400hp produced 389hp so I'm well pleased. Give the car a chance to adapt after just uploading the file before the run and we could be looking at 400hp. Torque was 408ft/lbs.

Afr was spot on too.

Il post graph when I get in.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #15
OneM
Private First Class
Rep

Well done! Those are nice figures
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #16
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneM View Post
Well done! Those are nice figures
Cheers. and by the way the final run was with m button on and it makes absolutely no difference in power.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 06:27 AM   #17
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Set up:
supersprint cat delete DP's
Full supersprint exhaust (cat delete)
AFE stage 2 air intake
Forge Intercooler

2 power runs with Evolve custom tune and setup above and 1 power run on stock map with the setup above.

Quote:
OK I have the dyno run. Stock was impressive 365 at crank and final run with my custom evolve tune where I was looking for 400hp produced 389hp so I'm well pleased. Give the car a chance to adapt after just uploading the file before the run and we could be looking at 400hp. Torque was 408ft/lbs.

Afr was spot on too.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 07:13 AM   #18
OneM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Cheers. and by the way the final run was with m button on and it makes absolutely no difference in power.

If you did a dyno with traction control OFF and then ON you wouldn't see a difference either ..but while driving there's a real difference, same with M button, CAI ..etc
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 07:21 AM   #19
OneM
Private First Class
Rep

From Supersprint website:

OEM:
Claimed data:
Horsepower 340 Hp @ 5900 rpm
Torque 500 Nm @ 1500 ⇒ 4500 rpm

Actual data:
Horsepower 359,0 Hp @ 6160 rpm
Torque 533,9 Nm @ 2105 rpm
Download pdf chart (189 Kb)

Supersprint:- Rear exhaust Right OO80 + Left OO80

Actual data:
Horsepower 360,9 Hp @ 5680 rpm
Torque 542,0 Nm @ 2120 rpm

Supersprint:
- Turbo downpipes kit (repl. pre-cat.) 980211
- Front pipes kit + Metallic catalytic converters 100CPSI 980902
- Centre exhaust 985903
- Rear exhaust "racing" Right OO80 + Left OO80

Actual data:
Horsepower 370,7 Hp @ 5720 rpm
Torque 544,7 Nm @ 2090 rpm

http://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bmw...-hp-2011-.aspx
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 04:14 AM   #20
Shooto82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m

Quote:

Afr was spot on too.

365 whp with the bolt on's and stuck tune?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 06:43 AM   #21
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

365 crank hp so subtract 12.5% and you will get whp. But yes, Stock tune, Bolton parts only
Appreciate 0