BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-23-2016, 12:07 AM   #1
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

PRICE DROP! - FS in SoCal: 2013 128i 6MT 21K - Loaded w/Suspension, Wheels & Tires

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
Sold

Or Best Offer

Item Interest
It is with much regret that I put my beloved Ruby up for sale. After many years of driving manual transmissions, I started a new job last year that includes a lot of freeway and city driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I finally gave in and purchased a car with an automatic transmission, and I don't have the space and time to keep and drive another car. Rather than have her sit idle, I want Ruby to find a good home.

I brought Ruby to life in 2013 by ordering a 128i to my specs:
  • Vermillion Red Metallic Exterior / Taupe Leather Interior
  • 6-Speed Manual
  • Premium Package
  • Technology Package
  • Lighting Package
  • Harmon-Kardon Stereo
  • Sport Seats
  • Heated Seats
  • Park Assist
  • Anthracite Wood Trim
  • Anti-Theft Alarm System

When she arrived, I transformed her by swapping the stock suspension, wheels and run-flat tires with the help of HP Autowerks in Santa Barbara, CA, replaced with:
  • BMW Performance Suspension (a step further than M-Sport)
  • Apex AERO-7 wheels in HyperSilver (18 x 8" all around, flow-formed, 19 lbs. each)
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires (225/40-18 all around)

A few other included perks:
  • Since I ditched the run-flats, I added a spare setup consisting of a 5th AERO-7 wheel and Michelin PSS tire that I keep in a clean tote bag in the trunk
  • Custom black sisal Cocomats (front and rear)
  • The original taupe BMW mats (unused)
  • Side and rear windows are tinted with 35% Johnson Films Silhouette
  • BMW jack kit

Ruby has just 21,200 loving miles and she's great fun to drive. The BMW Performance Suspension is progressively firm, even ready for occasional track duty, but the ride with the lighter wheels and tires (I dropped 8 lbs. per corner) is still compliant enough for enjoyable daily driving. The square setup makes for a more neutral handling car and tames the stock understeer tendencies.

I don't have many recent pictures (I can take some soon), but I included some pics I've taken along the way, and here's Ruby's original 1addicts debut thread from when everything was completed in May, 2013: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837863

She still looks almost new minus some very minor wear and tear. All 5 wheels have zero scratches/scuffs, and she has always been garaged. The tires will need replacement relatively soon (I'd estimate that they have ~5K miles left), but I'm leaving it up to the next owner to decide what he/she wants to fit. But really, can you do better than Michelin PSS? She also has the remainder of the factory warranty (a little under 14 months left).

As the last new BMW that came with hydraulic assist steering, a natural aspirated engine, and a manual transmission, I see the E82 128i as the last of the breed of BMWs that really appealed to me over the last few decades. I love this little car -- maybe that's obvious -- and it took me many months to make the tough decision to sell her, so I would appreciate hearing from any potentially serious buyers who appreciate the 128i like I do.

Please PM with any interest or questions. Thanks!

Attached Images

Last edited by simianspeedster; 05-27-2016 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

I never like that red.....until now!! That is a the perfect combination of interior exterior and wheels.

Then the BMW Performance suspension to boot!

That should sell quick. What a great car!

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 12:08 AM   #3
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Thanks, Ric. I have "classic tendencies" -- I love the metallic burgundy, deep blue, and forest green metallic German cars that I drooled over in the '80s with tan interiors -- and my inspiration was to match that look with the approximate size and specs of an E46 3 Series, but in 2013. Maybe that sounds odd, but I think the finished product works!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
squidge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 Porsche 911

Definitely a solid old school color scheme. Nice car, reasonable price, GLWS! This 128 is more optioned up than many, strikes a nice balance of luxury and sport.

Side note: would you recommend the Cocomats? They look nice in your photo and on their website. Feel free to PM me if you want to keep the banter out of the FS thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 11:41 PM   #5
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidge View Post
Definitely a solid old school color scheme. Nice car, reasonable price, GLWS! This 128 is more optioned up than many, strikes a nice balance of luxury and sport.

Side note: would you recommend the Cocomats? They look nice in your photo and on their website. Feel free to PM me if you want to keep the banter out of the FS thread.
Thanks, man. She really is a great little car and I wish I could keep her, but my wife and I keep our cars garaged, and I have no space and no time for a another car. But I know someone will find her and love her like I do.

Cocomats: highly, highly recommended *IF* you know what you're getting. They are a bit old-school, very well constructed, and incredibly durable with strong natural fibers and a thick, gum rubber backing. They are thick and heavy, and they do not move around at all or warp. This is my 3rd set, and I'd surely buy a 4th.

The 1st set I bought for a Z4 Coupe many years back were the traditional Cocomats (i.e. woven coconut fibers) - black with a silver dot. For my 2nd set (3 Coupe), I moved to the black sisal mats which I prefer, so I got the exact same for my 3rd/current set. The sisal mats have a tighter, harder weave and a more modern look.

My only advice: the sisal mats don't feel great on bare feet, so if you have a passenger who cares about such things, there you go. Maybe they shouldn't be in your nice ride with bare feet anyhow.

Lastly, one great thing: since the driver's mat will surely wear faster than the rest, especially with a manual transmission, know that you can order just one custom replacement mat in any location.

More pics from my last 2 sets of sisal mats:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
squidge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 Porsche 911

Cool, thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 12:39 AM   #7
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quick price drop bump before I post to Cars.com and AutoTrader this weekend. Also, I just paid her 2016-2017 registration.

Ruby needs a loving home, people!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 12:02 PM   #8
BillDaCat8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
I never like that red.....until now!! That is a the perfect combination of interior exterior and wheels.

Then the BMW Performance suspension to boot!

That should sell quick. What a great car!
I'm not a red car guy. But, that thing is puuuurdy.

I'd love those wheels on my car. The spare too.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 12:07 AM   #9
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Bump for another price drop.

She's up on Cars.com now and I've had a couple bites, but no takers yet. Might go the Beepi route in a couple weeks, but I'd rather she go to a forum enthusiast.

PM with any questions/interest.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #10
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

If it gets much lower I will ship you my 2012 perfect OEM Aero wheels with new tires and some cash for a wheel swap....not like you are getting any money for those if you get any lower.

I can't believe it hasn't sold.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 12:15 AM   #11
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Hey Ric,

I appreciate the idea, but I can barefully find enough time to drive the car let alone carry out a cross country wheel swap. But feel free to buy the car, take the parts you want and sell the rest.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 12:52 AM   #12
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Beepi is confirmed tomorrow for an inspection and listing, and I might drop by the local CarMax for kicks this weekend, though I can't imagine they'd offer a competitive price.

Open to reasonable offers, folks.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 01:12 AM   #13
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

CarMax offered me more than I expected once I talked then through Ruby's details, so here's the final price drop on the forums to see if I can find a serious private buyer.

I'd much rather sell her to a forum member/fellow enthusiast, but my work and life are both quite busy, so I'm giving it a few more days before going the CarMax route.

Thanks for the positive comments and interest to date.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 09:58 PM   #14
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Sold -- will have a couple accessories for sale soon
Appreciate 0