BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

What exhaust?

Should I do a full berk street set up or race set up? The muffle delete wont give me fits when going to get an inspection done right? I want something loud! I hear everyone say that berk and madad are quite till you really get on it? Any other options out there?
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks bro searched a million times

Quote:
Originally Posted by P7X View Post
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1
Should I do a full berk street set up or race set up? The muffle delete wont give me fits when going to get an inspection done right? I want something loud! I hear everyone say that berk and madad are quite till you really get on it? Any other options out there?
Do you plan on running catless downpipe(s)?

I have the berk sport catback, and agency power straight mid pipes with no resonators, with my cats in, I love the sound, when the cats are out, it's a different sound that I'm still extremely fond of

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'd most likely keep the cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
Do you plan on running catless downpipe(s)?

I have the berk sport catback, and agency power straight mid pipes with no resonators, with my cats in, I love the sound, when the cats are out, it's a different sound that I'm still extremely fond of
Thanks for your personal experience much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Top thread stickyed in this section.....

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211676

All the exhausts ppl have put on and opinions / discussions.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I have catless downpipes with the berk street exhaust (with muffler). It's pretty loud. I had just the berk race axleback on at one time, and imho it's too loud. I thought I wanted loud, but I was getting pulled over too much with just that. The street exhaust with the muffler, berk mids with the resonators, and raceland 2.5" downpipes make it sound loud as hell when I want it to, but I can also feather the throttle and keep the volume reasonable.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

I have the full CP-E turboback exhaust with AR DPs. It includes straight through CP-E mids (no resonators), and their axleback with a "silencer" pipe. To be honest the silencer pipe probably does nothing at all because it's really really loud. Cold starting is ungodly loud. I even set off a workmate's car alarm once cold starting at the end of the day .

Once it's all warmed up it's reasonably tame when idling but as soon as you're on the throttle it gets pretty loud pretty quickly. Only problem is the drone/rasp between 1500 and 2500 RPMs which are likely due to the lack of any cats or resonators. Thinking of getting some resonators welded into the mids.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quiet? I had AR catted DPs, Berk mids, and Berk street performance exhaust and it was pretty loud, albeit not as loud if I had catless DPs and the Berk race exhaust. A couple of guys I met when selling my 135 said they could hear me coming from a few blocks away. I still long for that sound and cannot find anything close for the 335i. You want loud? Buy the HPF full exhaust, it's about the same price as the Berk mids + Berk exhaust.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
potxoli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F80

I just installed the bert street cat back. No other mods whatsoever. I can't say I'm 100% happy. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I wanted something that was more raspy and that would really wail near redline. The berk street is OK. Makes plenty of noise, but it is more boomy than raspy and it actually appears to be less loud as I go through the RPMs. Kind of pewters out on the top end. Then again the whole engine pewters out on the top end.... my last car was a 1990 Ferrari with Tubi and rev limiter moved to 8K, so I have an entirely unreasonable comparison in my mind

Having said all of that, the berk street does not drone and is loud enough. I certainly would not want louder for my 135 since it is a daily driver. And it is much better than stock with the golf tee mod. I think the core issue I have is that these turbo engines can't replicate the sound of a V8 or V10 in the M3s or M5s which is what I'd love to have in terms of sound.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #11
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks and it does

Quote:
Originally Posted by potxoli View Post
I just installed the bert street cat back. No other mods whatsoever. I can't say I'm 100% happy. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I wanted something that was more raspy and that would really wail near redline. The berk street is OK. Makes plenty of noise, but it is more boomy than raspy and it actually appears to be less loud as I go through the RPMs. Kind of pewters out on the top end. Then again the whole engine pewters out on the top end.... my last car was a 1990 Ferrari with Tubi and rev limiter moved to 8K, so I have an entirely unreasonable comparison in my mind

Having said all of that, the berk street does not drone and is loud enough. I certainly would not want louder for my 135 since it is a daily driver. And it is much better than stock with the golf tee mod. I think the core issue I have is that these turbo engines can't replicate the sound of a V8 or V10 in the M3s or M5s which is what I'd love to have in terms of sound.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
MIAblu1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Monaco Blue 135i

Anyone try going with catless downpipes, N55 mids (no secondary cats) and just keep the stock muffler? I like the black tips i have now and I have catless AFE 3" down pipes and she's pretty loud on start up and sounds reasonably stock during driving just a tad more aggressive...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I would love to go catless but I'd hate to change it out once a year for a emissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAblu1 View Post
Anyone try going with catless downpipes, N55 mids (no secondary cats) and just keep the stock muffler? I like the black tips i have now and I have catless AFE 3" down pipes and she's pretty loud on start up and sounds reasonably stock during driving just a tad more aggressive...
but ice heard a similar set up its a perfect blend
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
Kdiddy007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: *135i N55 Msport*

I have a 3.5 inch custom setup with an AR DP and the BMW Performance muffler which makes it sound far more exotic than the berk/maddads grunt. More exotic in the higher RPM's.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Anyway we can see some pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdiddy007 View Post
I have a 3.5 inch custom setup with an AR DP and the BMW Performance muffler which makes it sound far more exotic than the berk/maddads grunt. More exotic in the higher RPM's.
Or a video!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #16
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Just curious if you made a decision

@potxoli - I'm sorry you're disappointed with just the street exhaust! With my berk midpipes on top of the street exhaust, it sounds pretty throaty and it LOVES to gurgle and pop. This was even before I added catless downpipes, which made the sound a little raspy in the 1.5-3K RPM range.. but up top it sounds as close to a ferrari as I think this car could reasonably get. The inline 6 exhaust note does sound great sometimes (especially with an upgraded exhaust), though you're right it'll never ever sound like an exotic or a 8 or 10 cylinder engine. I've heard a car with just the downpipes in, no mids or axleback at all... and it was surprisingly quiet. It's pretty subdued because the turbo(s) really muffle the sound. If anyone has JB4, they can run map 8 and turn off the turbos and the exhaust note sounds much deeper and louder than with them turning... but now that I added downpipes as well, that map 8 sound is just too loud for me, though I like to play with it once in a blue moon.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #17
potxoli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F80

As a follow-up I've had it for 10 days or so and it is sounding better. I might have to go the midpipes route as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post

@potxoli - I'm sorry you're disappointed with just the street exhaust! With my berk midpipes on top of the street exhaust, it sounds pretty throaty and it LOVES to gurgle and pop. This was even before I added catless downpipes, which made the sound a little raspy in the 1.5-3K RPM range.. but up top it sounds as close to a ferrari as I think this car could reasonably get. The inline 6 exhaust note does sound great sometimes (especially with an upgraded exhaust), though you're right it'll never ever sound like an exotic or a 8 or 10 cylinder engine. I've heard a car with just the downpipes in, no mids or axleback at all... and it was surprisingly quiet. It's pretty subdued because the turbo(s) really muffle the sound. If anyone has JB4, they can run map 8 and turn off the turbos and the exhaust note sounds much deeper and louder than with them turning... but now that I added downpipes as well, that map 8 sound is just too loud for me, though I like to play with it once in a blue moon.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #18
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Looks like berk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post

Now the next question is do I go with a catless down pipe or high flow ?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #19
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

:)

Just ordered berk down pipe back exhaust I'm pumped
Appreciate 0