BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #45
vma1788
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36s, 997, CT9a, AP1, F31

On the contrary, I feel that the 1er market will be pretty stong. Its demographic is the people who want a late model enthusiast vehicle. My two previous "fun" cars have been an e46 m3 and an Evo 9, when shopping for a new toy the 335 wasnt even an option. No electric power steering, lighter and more enthusiast oriented, the 1er will be a sought after for a long while.

All just my opinion. To most its just awkward looking (acquired taste) and small (not actually as small as one would believe). I overlooked them for years.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #46
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

All we need is for a 135i to be predominantly featured in one of The Fast & Furious movies. It sure helped me when I owned a Supra Twin Turbo in 2001. CHA-CHING!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #47
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
All we need is for a 135i to be predominantly featured in one of The Fast & Furious movies. It sure helped me when I owned a Supra Twin Turbo in 2001. CHA-CHING!!!!
check out fast 7 one of the members cars will be featured.
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #48
UT09
Rep
Drives: 135i Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Looks like there are A LOT of 1ers for sale in here.

Is anyone having luck selling theirs?

I would imagine resale of this car would be very difficult for the following potential reasons:

1. It is a very niche car. Not a broad target market for this car, very narrow. Two doors, two seater (for all intensive purposes) small sports coupe.

2. Economy. Not many people are really eager for self indulgence to buy a small sporty little two door rocket ship.

3. Financing. Not sure how many banks are providing favorable interest rates and extending financing for private party sales in this down economy.

That being said, I am considering selling mine, but am kinda shy. I'm not liking the idea of losing my shirt on depreciation. So are these things really selling on the resale market?

for the love of god, its 'intents and purposes'

That being said, just totaled my car. Will be buying a 135i, manual within 2 weeks. Cash. 2011 or newer. If yours fits the bill, let me know.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #49
killerhurtalot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Well. I just bought my 135i through a dealership after about 3 months of looking on the forums and also dealerships around the country (was willing to ship it)

I feel like a lot of the BMW 135i on this forum is pretty over priced and the people are kind of slow to respond to replies/pms... Every single person I PM'd, it usually takes days to respond about the car and get more specific pictures... I don't think I made unreasonable demands for pictures... (like picture of each wheel close up, close up pictures of the leather seats and etc...) and people usually say they'll get to it later that week or something like that... (seriously... is it THAT HARD to take like 5 minutes to take a couple pictures to help selling your car? just take a few casual pictures when you're getting out of the car after work or something...)

And pricing wise I feel like is really out of touch with what the market is selling at or is willing to accept... I saw and was in contact with a dealership that had a 2011 Sedona red and beige leather interior with almost EVERY option with like 24k miles for around 28.5k. And this is out of a dealership with fees and all that shit.

I get that it was during winter, but people are selling cars on here for WAY more than what dealerships are selling and they really need to realize that it's private sale... they should be selling it for literally $1000-500 less than what dealerships are trying to charge for the car... Especially when many of the BMW Dealerships are selling cars with similar options but they have CPO WARRANTY for similar prices...

I bought a BMW 2011 135i DCT with 43k miles, M sports package, Premium package, Navigation, HK audio, and pretty much everything without Comfort access and the rear parking sensors... And it also came with the BMW performance Exhaust... a few chips on the paint and a small accident in the front that had the bumper removed and repaired and repainted for $25000...

There's a market for the car... just not at the prices of what members are listing at 90% of the time...

And there's still a good reason for buying cars at dealerships... most of them WILL go above and beyond to actually do the right thing for you because bad reviews/bad impressions are terrible for future sales... Found out that there was a leak in the window and it caused the blower motor to short and this was within a month of buying the car. Warranty won't cover leaks and shit and the dealership fixed it out of good will... private sellers won't do any of this...

Last edited by killerhurtalot; 05-11-2014 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #50
Canefan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Monaco Blue 135i

I just sold my '08 Convertible. Took about 3 weeks to sell and I got pretty close to my asking price. I had it on here and it had 570 views and not one comment or anyone showing the slightest interest. I also had it on Autotrader (where the eventual buyer found it), and Craigslist. The Craigslist ad produced a serious buyer who would have bought it had the other deal fallen thru. Both of those ads were at the same price as what I had it listed for here. I'm not sure why the ad on this site generated no interest on a board where people supposedly were knowledgable about the car. The price was very realistic, and as I said, was very close to my final sale price. It's not the easiest car to sell, but there are buyers out there who know what they are and are looking for them. You just have to be patient.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #51
killerhurtalot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canefan View Post
I just sold my '08 Convertible. Took about 3 weeks to sell and I got pretty close to my asking price. I had it on here and it had 570 views and not one comment or anyone showing the slightest interest. I also had it on Autotrader (where the eventual buyer found it), and Craigslist. The Craigslist ad produced a serious buyer who would have bought it had the other deal fallen thru. Both of those ads were at the same price as what I had it listed for here. I'm not sure why the ad on this site generated no interest on a board where people supposedly were knowledgable about the car. The price was very realistic, and as I said, was very close to my final sale price. It's not the easiest car to sell, but there are buyers out there who know what they are and are looking for them. You just have to be patient.
Well. most people that's on this forum already has the car or had the car. Most buyers of the car aren't exactly enthusiasts...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #52
soupy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

I'm noticing that alot of these asking prices are way too high as well, but that seems to be the case with most of these enthusiast forums with folks trying to make back as much as they can with their mods. Mine will be listed pretty soon as well and it'll be listed for KBB Fair Value because I'm giving myself realistic expectations due to normal highway chips, dings, tire condition, etc.

Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, Sport Package, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 01:26 AM   #53
RaidersFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerhurtalot View Post
a few chips on the paint and a small accident in the front that had the bumper removed and repaired and repainted for $25000...
That is a damn expensive front bumper paint job. Hopefully the car was free!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 03:13 AM   #54
berne
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

how mutch dose a bmw 135 cost i usa? if it have navi, and some more nice stuff?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #55
killerhurtalot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by berne View Post
how mutch dose a bmw 135 cost i usa? if it have navi, and some more nice stuff?
We don't sell it anymore lol. We only got the 2 series now.

But before it was discontinued, it was around $39000 MSRP for a base model. the 128i was like $31000
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #56
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
We don't sell it anymore lol. We only got the 2 series now.

But before it was discontinued, it was around $39000 MSRP for a base model. the 128i was like $31000
Yeah with every option but comfort access, sticker on mine was around $47k, although I bought mine 2-years old for around $33k.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #57
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I see a lot of unrealistic expectations from sellers trying to unload cars with huge mod lists. That's ubiquitous to selling cars, though, not something specific to the 1er crowd. I think it's really hard to sell a car with mods and get much of any of the value of the mods back out. I think you're doing well to get 20% of the value of the mods on top of the car, but many people will not be willing to pay any more than 0%. There are a number of reasons why, such as their ability to get a loan, and the mod list including a fraction of items that might be of interest (eg. I could care less if a car has a $1500 carbon fiber lip).

When the thread started it was discussing 1-2 year old cars. Now 4-5 year old cars are at a price point where someone shopping a WRX, Evo, BRZ, 370Z ,Miata, etc. might think a used 135i with low miles makes a lot of sense. It's really a great platform besides some maintenance issues. Sell it after HPFP work is done and with fresh water pump, coils, plugs, and carbon blast and it should be a great buy. I think depreciation should slow down a bit at the 3-5 year mark as the car's value is in more of a sweet spot for enthusiasts. I do think it has as I check bluebook every once in a while.

Also worth noting the new MSRP on the 1er has gone up quite a bit in the US since introduction. The ~$36k 135i standard is gone, essentially replaced with the M235i starting at $43k. Makes a used one look a lot more attractive as a new one is further out of reach.
      05-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #58
killerhurtalot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
I see a lot of unrealistic expectations from sellers trying to unload cars with huge mod lists. That's ubiquitous to selling cars, though, not something specific to the 1er crowd. I think it's really hard to sell a car with mods and get much of any of the value of the mods back out. I think you're doing well to get 20% of the value of the mods on top of the car, but many people will not be willing to pay any more than 0%. There are a number of reasons why, such as their ability to get a loan, and the mod list including a fraction of items that might be of interest (eg. I could care less if a car has a $1500 carbon fiber lip).

When the thread started it was discussing 1-2 year old cars. Now 4-5 year old cars are at a price point where someone shopping a WRX, Evo, BRZ, 370Z ,Miata, etc. might think a used 135i with low miles makes a lot of sense. It's really a great platform besides some maintenance issues. Sell it after HPFP work is done and with fresh water pump, coils, plugs, and carbon blast and it should be a great buy. I think depreciation should slow down a bit at the 3-5 year mark as the car's value is in more of a sweet spot for enthusiasts. I do think it has as I check bluebook every once in a while.

Also worth noting the new MSRP on the 1er has gone up quite a bit in the US since introduction. The ~$36k 135i standard is gone, essentially replaced with the M235i starting at $43k. Makes a used one look a lot more attractive as a new one is further out of reach.
well. the new m235i does include the m sport package and the adaptive suspension standard... which was worth roughly 4k. and the overall cost went up by 2k so it still sits in line with the msrp costs... but the dealerships want to get rid of the 1ers cause it doesn't sell that well anymore so they're heavily discounting the new 1ers like 4-8k off of msrp.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #59
berne
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

i went to de dealer and askt how mutch he will pay for my car, i have the bus navi, lether seat, and the M and he said he can pay 28.593dollar and it has 6213miles on it
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #60
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

I've done a few HPDEs and every time the instructor is blown away by my 135 M-Sport w/BMW PPK. I tell them they can be had for the low 20s and they are even more blown away.

Like someone else stated, I think the depreciation will slow significantly over the next few years as people realize this is more of a driver-oriented car than what is available now. Will it ever become a niche collector like the air-cooled 911s? I highly doubt it, but it should still be somewhat desirable.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #61
ba83
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

I was at a bmw dealer recently and even low mileage 135is from 2011 and 2012 are not fetching any reasonable amount compared to a 335i coupe . The 2011 135i average trade in value was between 22-25k depending on options and they had a 2012 135 for 31k with low miles for sale.

Its a buyers market for sure, these cars are great used car buy compared to an evo or wrx which retain very good resale but we all know how they are driven
      05-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #62
killerhurtalot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba83 View Post
I was at a bmw dealer recently and even low mileage 135is from 2011 and 2012 are not fetching any reasonable amount compared to a 335i coupe . The 2011 135i average trade in value was between 22-25k depending on options and they had a 2012 135 for 31k with low miles for sale.

Its a buyers market for sure, these cars are great used car buy compared to an evo or wrx which retain very good resale but we all know how they are driven
I figured with the prices now, even with a high mileage 2011 135i, I'll only be taking like 2k hit from depreciation a year since the 08/09 high mileage ones with 60-70k miles are still selling for 17-18k...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #63
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep
Drives: from Spartanburg

Quote:
the 08/09 high mileage ones with 60-70k miles are still selling for 17-18k...
The trick is finding one that hasn't been abused. Lots of those cars have wreck histories.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #64
CageFighter
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i Sport / 2009 328i M

I've had my 2012 128i on sale for a couple of months and not much interest. It has sport/ premium/ nav and looks and drives practically new. I just recently subscribed to this forum for more exposure. I also own a 2009 328i m-sport that might go up for sale as well if I don't get any bids. I bought the 1 series for the wife 3 months before finding out she's expecting. Now that the baby turned 1, we need more room and the 1 series is not cutting it.
Appreciate 0