08-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #23
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
what is required with the BMW Apps to get the iPhone to integrate properly. Is that $255 cradle required, or as written above just your USB charging cable?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #24
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Cradle not required.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #25
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Get it! Here's why I'm getting it:

BMW apps allows you to interface with Pandora, in which case you can skip the Satellite Radio price plus its service monthly fee. So you'll have amazing radio plus the ability to interface with other apps for a 1-time fee of $250. Way worth it to me!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #26
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Get it! Here's why I'm getting it:

BMW apps allows you to interface with Pandora, in which case you can skip the Satellite Radio price plus its service monthly fee. So you'll have amazing radio plus the ability to interface with other apps for a 1-time fee of $250. Way worth it to me!
But you can already do it for free with a cable. BMW apps just let's you control it from iDrive correct?

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #27
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
This is a drivers car, bla bla bla bla......

Half the time I'm stuck in traffic, behind a tractor or learner drive or waiting at traffic lights.

At least reading FB and Twitter on the iDrive is (a bit) safer than checking the iPhone.

I personally love the tech in the 1M, I work in IT and am almost a geek.

Connected drive should be on the same menu as Navigation and Cd/Multimedia etc and you need to have the Connected drive app running on he iPhone so that the status is connected.

Under Connected drive on the screen you should then have BMW Apps under which will be FB, twitter and web radio.

You can read through all posts forwards and backwards whilst moving, seems like the only thing it won't do is page down.

Hope this helps

Mark.
So does the ConnectedDrive menu come up even if no phone has been paired? If so, I just got screwed.

Related question: anyone know if it can be retrofitted?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #28
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

In the UK I cant see BMW Apps on the options sheet, the only thing I can see is Internet for £95, is this it?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #29
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
But you can already do it for free with a cable. BMW apps just let's you control it from iDrive correct?
I believe so...but the few times I've connected my iPhone to my car via cable, it tells me that it cannot be charged, and blah blah blah. Maybe if it were an iPod Touch or something else, but iPhone definitely acts a little weird when using the cable.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #30
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

So you dont need the craddle at all because i was told that you need the craddle for full compatiblity with the bmw apps
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #31
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M///1rider View Post
So you dont need the craddle at all because i was told that you need the craddle for full compatiblity with the bmw apps
You do. The cradle is the hardware for the interface. As I just said, the cable does not offer me full functionality and it does not seem to charge the phone either.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #32
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You do. The cradle is the hardware for the interface. As I just said, the cable does not offer me full functionality and it does not seem to charge the phone either.

Sounds like you may have a bad cable. The newer cables should charge the phone. The main problem is that Apple keeps changing the iPhones and their charger requirements. The way I understand it is if the cable is supplying the exact voltage (no engineer, i think thats the right term) it will charge, if not, the phone says the accessory is not compatible and it will not charge. The last cable I had for my 135 worked correctly and I could listen to Pandora, or any thing else from the phone in the car system.

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #33
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you may have a bad cable. The newer cables should charge the phone. The main problem is that Apple keeps changing the iPhones and their charger requirements. The way I understand it is if the cable is supplying the exact voltage (no engineer, i think thats the right term) it will charge, if not, the phone says the accessory is not compatible and it will not charge. The last cable I had for my 135 worked correctly and I could listen to Pandora, or any thing else from the phone in the car system.
No, my cable is fine. You got the terminology right (voltage), engineer here , however, if Apple changes the charging pins in regards to the cable that's charging the phone, then it will not charge. Remember, these cables have pins that have been allocated for charging, as well as pins that have been allocated for data transfer.

There may be multiple versions of this cable, and I know there definitely are multiple versions of the phone (3, 3G, 3GS, 4), so I may not have the "right combination". There is also the possibility that the phone is designed to display the message about incompatibility, and it could still be charging anyways; I haven't left it connected long enough to find out. But in regards to the sound, I can definitely play whatever I want from my phone. I just think BMW Apps will turn it into a smoother experience with a much better interface.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #34
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, my cable is fine. You got the terminology right (voltage), engineer here , however, if Apple changes the charging pins in regards to the cable that's charging the phone, then it will not charge. Remember, these cables have pins that have been allocated for charging, as well as pins that have been allocated for data transfer.

There may be multiple versions of this cable, and I know there definitely are multiple versions of the phone (3, 3G, 3GS, 4), so I may not have the "right combination". There is also the possibility that the phone is designed to display the message about incompatibility, and it could still be charging anyways; I haven't left it connected long enough to find out. But in regards to the sound, I can definitely play whatever I want from my phone. I just think BMW Apps will turn it into a smoother experience with a much better interface.
I think the combination of phones and cables may definitely have something to do with it. I've gone through every iteration of the iPhone and there were definitely times when it wouldnt work. The crazy thing is that it is inconsistent, sometimes the same phone/cable combination would work fine then others it would pop up the message. I am guessing a bad connection could throw off the voltage long enough to make the phone pop the message?

Anyway, I agree that the BMW apps would probably make the user experience better. I would just be curious to see if the dock really gets rid of the error and I also hate having to buy a new connector every year a new phone comes out in a different form factor.

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #35
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I think the combination of phones and cables may definitely have something to do with it. I've gone through every iteration of the iPhone and there were definitely times when it wouldnt work. The crazy thing is that it is inconsistent, sometimes the same phone/cable combination would work fine then others it would pop up the message. I am guessing a bad connection could throw off the voltage long enough to make the phone pop the message?

Anyway, I agree that the BMW apps would probably make the user experience better. I would just be curious to see if the dock really gets rid of the error and I also hate having to buy a new connector every year a new phone comes out in a different form factor.
Absolutely. As far as I know from those who have it, the cradle solves the issue. It is designed to work with our phones (Phone Integration). We'll find out when I get my ride
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #36
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Would you surf the web in an Ariel Atom? Update your "status? Some vehicles are meant for driving, not playing Farmville.
      08-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #37
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

Any idea if the iphone will fit it's cradle if it's in a skin-type case? I like the idea of the cradle, but not if I have to remove the case everytime I want to drop it in.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #38
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Here is my experience. My iphone charges and has full functionality with bmw apps with just the iphone cable. I bought the cradle because my dealer said I "had" to have it. What a waste of money (glad I bought it on ebay not for the dealers ridiculous price) The cable does not make a difference. It is supposed to add use of the roof antenna but I can not tell a difference. The only thing I notice is I must remove my cover or not use a cover at all to put the iphone in the cradle. No thanks! I will just use the cable.

In regards to should you get apps, I say absolutely if you are loading the car up. I think it is great. Much easier and safer to control than looking down at your phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #39
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Here is my experience. My iphone charges and has full functionality with bmw apps with just the iphone cable. I bought the cradle because my dealer said I "had" to have it. What a waste of money (glad I bought it on ebay not for the dealers ridiculous price) The cable does not make a difference. It is supposed to add use of the roof antenna but I can not tell a difference. The only thing I notice is I must remove my cover or not use a cover at all to put the iphone in the cradle. No thanks! I will just use the cable.

In regards to should you get apps, I say absolutely if you are loading the car up. I think it is great. Much easier and safer to control than looking down at your phone.
How's the quality of the video playback?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #40
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post

Is it possible to do a google search with BMW apps, through the iDrive screen.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #41
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

Through the BMW App? No. Not at present anyway. If I remember right, it's part of the BMW connected drive stuff that is in the car, though. Even without the phone. But... try using the I-Drive wheel to enter serious text i.e. to the browser... to me it's a pain in the a**! Me personally, I'm faster if I stop the car, take the phone out of the cradle and do the stuff on the phone. And since (when I'm playing with my geek stuff) the car is parked anyhow... why use the I-Drive in the first place?
      08-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #42
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Here's a little preview of why you might want this feature.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/12/b...-your-desktop/
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #43
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
In the UK I cant see BMW Apps on the options sheet, the only thing I can see is Internet for £95, is this it?
Option 6NR is mobile application preparation @ £130. Think it's conditional on some other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
How's the quality of the video playback?
Good except I'm not sure if I have an issue with mine as there some flicker.

I think the cradle might also be needed for video playback.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 01:15 AM   #44
rusty racer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB, 2011 R8 v10 spy

Anyone know if the option for BMW apps can be added after the fact? I did not get to pick out all the options on my car as it was already ordered when I learned of it. It is fully loaded except no apps and no cradle. I don't want to facebook and drive but I like the expandability of what might be coming to BMW apps in the future.
Appreciate 0