BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Double-sided tape mark removal?

All,

I recently removed the performance spoiler off the trunk lid of my car, and installed the OEM back on. Since the performance spoiler covered a larger area, now that the stock one is back in place, I can see a very faint mark where the other double-side tape used to be, since the area is now exposed. I tried ScratchX lightly, but that did not remove it entirely. It is difficult to see and takes the right light and angle for it to be visible.

Does anyone know of a way to completely get rid of the mark without damaging the clear coat in that area? I also have a product from Chemical Guys for etching/waterspot removal which I am thinking about trying briefly. Or should I continue to use ScratchX until completely gone? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Juicehead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
All,

I recently removed the performance spoiler off the trunk lid of my car, and installed the OEM back on. Since the performance spoiler covered a larger area, now that the stock one is back in place, I can see a very faint mark where the other double-side tape used to be, since the area is now exposed. I tried ScratchX lightly, but that did not remove it entirely. It is difficult to see and takes the right light and angle for it to be visible.

Does anyone know of a way to completely get rid of the mark without damaging the clear coat in that area? I also have a product from Chemical Guys for etching/waterspot removal which I am thinking about trying briefly. Or should I continue to use ScratchX until completely gone? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
"goof off" adhesive remover or similiar....

Wash thoroughly after application then promptly wax.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicehead View Post
"goof off" adhesive remover or similiar....

Wash thoroughly after application then promptly wax.
That's what I used to remove the left-over tape after removing the spoiler, and the faint mark is there...should I go back and use some more and simply rub over it? I would assume if this were to be effective then it would have taken care of it on the first try?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Get some Stoners Tarminator. This stuff is very strong, yet safe for the clearcoat. Spray some on a MF and lightly rub the mark.

If this doesn't get it off, chances are that it's etched into the clearcoat. The only thing that will help at that point is a polish (such as your ScratchX). Don't be afraid to use a little elbow grease with the polish, when polishing by hand you must use more pressure to get results.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

3M Adhesive remover and a heat gun (or hairdryr) allow remover to dwell and using low heat and a plastic razor (or credit card) gentl 'scrape' off
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
3M Adhesive remover and a heat gun (or hairdryr) allow remover to dwell and using low heat and a plastic razor (or credit card) gentl 'scrape' off
This is good for when there is still adhesive left on the surface. What I was describing was a faint/transparent/extrmely light mark where the tape was (but there was no tape anymore.

By the way, I got it done without issues for those who care to know how I did it, I simply rubbed more ScratchX on the surface, applying a little more pressure than before. It was gone in a matter of minutes, I reapplied 2 coats of sealant, and it looks like the double-sided tape was never there to begin with

I want to thank those who took their time to read my thread and recommend advise
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:49 AM   #7
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Ghost marks after the removal of badges or emblems is a common problem; try a chemical paint cleaner or a light abrasive polish
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Mr Sheen. It works on EVERYTHING.

This one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Sheen

Not this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Sheen

The 2nd one will just leave more of a mess... and drink all your booze