BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #1
pilotcorky
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i (6MT, M Sport)

Smile Feedback on tuning plan?

Hi folks,

I recently bought a 2009 135i (6 speed, M sport) with 70k on it after owning a 2001 330i for a few years. I think I'm ready to cave and tune the thing... But I'd love some feedback on my plan to make sure I'm not making any monumentally stupid decisions! Here's the deal:

Pre-mod maintenance:
- Water pump (not by choice..)
- Plugs/Coils
- Accessory belt, pulleys
- Brakes
- New rear tires (not for the last time, I'm sure...)
- Walnut blasted intake ports (that was fun!)

What's on the shopping list:
-Cobb turbo back exhaust, catted downpipes ($1645 from their website)
-Burger dual cone intake ($110 from their website)
-Burger oil catch can ($179 from their website)
-Burger aluminum charge pipe ($239 from their website)
-Active Autowerke FMIC ($499 from their website)
-MHD with all flasher/maintenance modules and the stage 2 map pack ($267 + cabling)

Somewhat reasonable? Also, perhaps a noob question, but is there software I can use to mess with MHD maps myself? Any thoughts appreciated, absolutely loving the machine so far!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

With MHD you can use Tuner Pro (not for amateurs).

I wouldn't say I "don't" recommend anything on your list but I'd likely go different routes personally.

For example, do you insist on Catted downpipes? VRSF catless offer great performance, fitment and cost.

Also AA FMIC, do you know that's very similar to the Phoenix FMIC for $299 - not exactly the best FMIC either.

I'd choose a laundry list of other FMIC before those two.

The BMS DCI is good enough but there are better performing intakes, like the AFE Stage 2 Momentum GT.

BMS OCC is fine.

BMS CP is fine, although I prefer ER.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 10:09 PM   #3
pilotcorky
Rep

Thanks for the reply! Interesting tips all around. I ended up ditching the cat back portion of the exhaust for the moment to cut the cost down. I'm stuck with catted downpipes for now, feel too guilty cutting them out and I'd have to keep the stock ones to pass emissions in MD.

The burger intake did look a little crummy compared to the AFE, but I assumed it didn't matter since it's forced induction... I take it that isn't true?

I also changed to a VRSF intercooler and a Cobb charge pipe (the latter was just to cut down on the number of orders..)

Everything is on its way... Ridiculously excited to get it all installed!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 11:08 PM   #4
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I believe this is a fairly accurate link --> https://www.armmotorsports.com/Articles.asp?ID=255
Keep in mind brand names aren't very important. Generally speaking, most offerings are an improvement over stock in some regard.

Also, 6speed is ambiguous. Both the manual trans and auto are 6 speeds.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 01:02 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotcorky View Post
Hi folks,

I recently bought a 2009 135i (6 speed, M sport) with 70k on it after owning a 2001 330i for a few years. I think I'm ready to cave and tune the thing... But I'd love some feedback on my plan to make sure I'm not making any monumentally stupid decisions! Here's the deal:

Pre-mod maintenance:
- Water pump (not by choice..)
- Plugs/Coils
- Accessory belt, pulleys
- Brakes
- New rear tires (not for the last time, I'm sure...)
- Walnut blasted intake ports (that was fun!)

What's on the shopping list:
-Cobb turbo back exhaust, catted downpipes ($1645 from their website)
-Burger dual cone intake ($110 from their website)
-Burger oil catch can ($179 from their website)
-Burger aluminum charge pipe ($239 from their website)
-Active Autowerke FMIC ($499 from their website)
-MHD with all flasher/maintenance modules and the stage 2 map pack ($267 + cabling)

Somewhat reasonable? Also, perhaps a noob question, but is there software I can use to mess with MHD maps myself? Any thoughts appreciated, absolutely loving the machine so far!!!

Mod list looks good

I recommend checking the vendor section for combo deals, you can save a lot of money vs going direct to the manufacturer

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #6
pilotcorky
Rep

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

A couple weekends and beer bribes later, and everything is installed... Couldn't believe the FMIC fit!!! Sounds great with the new downpipes, too.

Haven't done the flash yet, as I've had one issue come up. I drove the car for around an hour immediately after installing the downpipes, but the second time I drove it, it threw a 2c24 code right on startup. It's idling okay... I cleared the codes and fired it back up, they didn't come back immediately. Is it still possible I plugged the pre-cat 02 sensors into the wrong sockets? If so, can I swap the connectors at the other end, or am I gonna be putting the car in the air again? I've tried researching this but haven't had too much luck.

Thanks for the help, still learning the ins and outs of this thing
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #7
pilotcorky
Rep

Update: Code came back... Looks like it happens every other cold start. Guess they're swapped... Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 10:45 PM   #8
rominun
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 135i

Quote:
Update: Code came back... Looks like it happens every other cold start. Guess they're swapped... Any ideas?
here's a pic of what the downpipes should look like. make sure the gray and black o2 sensors are in the right place. that's most likely your problem. if they are in the right place, then something might have happend with it while it was out of the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 10:56 PM   #9
pilotcorky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominun View Post
here's a pic of what the downpipes should look like. make sure the gray and black o2 sensors are in the right place. that's most likely your problem. if they are in the right place, then something might have happend with it while it was out of the car.
Thanks, I forgot the front ones don't actually get unplugged, just removed from the pipes. Crap. Guess I need another weekend and more beer bribes to check this out!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 10:58 PM   #10
rominun
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rominun View Post
Thanks, I forgot the front ones don't actually get unplugged, just removed from the pipes. Crap. Guess I need another weekend and more beer bribes to check this out!
they're most likely switched with one another. that happend to me and had to take them off again
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #11
pilotcorky
Rep

Update: They were swapped! Got them in the right spot and the car runs fine... The tune, however, apparently needs some work. I logged the first real pull I did, and not only is the boost super laggy, it's not hitting anything close to what it should be... Probably a boost leak, or something else?

Anyway, step in the right direction log below

http://www.datazap.me/u/pilotcorky/f...=0&data=3-5-22
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 12:22 AM   #12
pilotcorky
Rep

Pretty sure this post describes my issue... http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1248784

I've had a rattle since I installed the downpipes that I assumed was the pipe hitting something, but I guess it could very well be the wastegate actuators getting interfered with by the V band bolts. Arg...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #13
pilotcorky
Rep

Update: That was it! One of the actuator rods actually came off, too. Got it all back together, warmed it up, and hit the gas.... Holy crap!!!!!!!! Utterly ridiculous machine now! Love all the fun new noises, too

Thanks for everyone's input, and sorry for constant posts... Bit excited, if you couldn't tell!
Appreciate 2
1and11858.00
      09-19-2022, 07:59 PM   #14
SMartinR
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Coupe (N54)

This post literally saved my from a heart attack. Thank you SO MUCH!
Appreciate 0