BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
snowfro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1991 318i

Drive from Munich to the Ring

Hey guys I'm picking up my car June 17th at 4:00pm @ Welt! I'm thinking about my itinerary I wonder if any of you have some advice?

Here's the plan:

Arrive in Munich around 8am on June 17th. My friend will be joining me from Koln at the same time. We will go to the factory tour and the BMW museum and then go to my 2:30 appointment to pick up the car.

The plan is to stay in Munich and have some beers that night. So we'll probably head to a couple of bars but if you have any recommendations I'd love to hear about it. I wonder if there are any festivals that night in Munich?

Next morning we would like to wake up and drive to the ring, but we are in no rush. I was thinking we can take a long way around through the Swiss alps maybe? I would love to get some great pictures of the 1m in the countryside.

We do not plan on driving the ring until Sunday so we literally have ALL DAY Saturday to make this drive. Does anyone have any scenic recommendation as to how we should drive from Munich to the ring? I would love to meet some of you fellow enthusiasts along the way if you're interested, of course if there was an opportunity to take photographs with some other 1ms in the alps I think that would be incredible!

Finally, I will be at the ring on Sunday June 19th and if any of you out there plan on being there please let me know we should meet up.

Looking forward to hearing your recommendations!

Erick
2004 x3 manual
2011 1m
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

First let me ask you this: how many hours do you plan on driving that saturday?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

FYI, from Munich to the Ring is around 5 Hours according to Google Maps.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

I won't take the trip through Switzerland, as long as you don't nececcarily want to do that. First of all it's a big detour and you'll face mostly boring highways, speed limits and plenty speed cameras. And if they get you on picture it's gonna be expensive.

So, what I would suggest instead: Black Forest. You can take nearly any route there (especially the smaller roads) and you will face some fantastic driving pleasure there. Speed limits aren't as harsh, you are allowed to do 100kph instead of 80kph in Switzerland and if you go 120 in Germany, you'll pay 30 Euros (43 $).

If you do 100kph instead of 80kph in Switzerland you'll have to pay 273$ and above 20kph you'll get into serious trouble that could lead to thousands of dollars. Switzerland is very nice, but if you want to enjoy your 1M a little bit, give it a wide berth.

Here's a little route form Munich to the Nordschleife through black forest. You won't drive such a big detour and you'll just not take the highway and go on the windy roads. That would be my recommendation.

http://maps.google.de/maps?f=d&sourc...8,5.163574&z=8

But keep in mind: That trip takes twice the time than the direct way would (10h vs. 5h). I don't know if you want to drive 10h? 5h would be more than plenty for me. But this would be highway only!

Last edited by skyphab; 04-27-2011 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphab View Post
I won't take the trip through Switzerland, as long as you don't nececcarily want to do that. First of all it's a big detour and you'll face mostly boring highways, speed limits and plenty speed cameras. And if they get you on picture it's gonna be expensive.

So, what I would suggest instead: Black Forest. You can take nearly any route there (especially the smaller roads) and you will face some fantastic driving pleasure there. Speed limits aren't as harsh, you are allowed to do 100kph instead of 80kph in Switzerland and if you go 120 in Germany, you'll pay 30 Euros (43 $).

If you do 100kph instead of 80kph in Switzerland you'll have to pay 273$ and above 20kph you'll get into serious trouble that could lead to thousands of dollars. Switzerland is very nice, but if you want to enjoy your 1M a little bit, give it a wide berth.

Here's a little route form Munich to the Nordschleife through black forest. You won't drive such a big detour and you'll just not take the highway and go on the windy roads. That would be my recommendation.

http://maps.google.de/maps?f=d&sourc...8,5.163574&z=8

But keep in mind: That trip takes twice the time than the direct way would (10h vs. 5h). I don't know if you want to drive 10h? 5h would be more than plenty for me. But this would be highway only!

Do you really think snowro: / Erick is able to do the trip in one day?

You know best, he's practically passing thru your backyard

Last edited by Grey Dove; 04-27-2011 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post
Do you really think snowro: / Erick is able to do the trip in one day?

You know best, he's practically passing thru your backyard
if you are talking about the long distance then I can safely say that if he is serious about it then it shouldnt be a problem. Ive driven 14 hours from NY to Fl when I went to pick up my dads 911 carerra...If hes gonna be enjoying himself, 10hrs isnt that bad
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

@Gtrain: Munich to the Nordschleife in 5 hours? On a Saturday? No way! Not even if you stay on the Autobahn.

@Snowfro: How "touristy" do you want the trip? You'll pass Ingolstadt (Audi), you can go to the West, to Stuttgart (Porsche and/or Mercedes) or you can hit Rotenburg ob der Tauber (basically Germanys best known medieval town). Spend 2-3 hours looking at cars or the city and then just go West until you hit the River Rhein and follow that all the way to Koblenz (lots of castles along the way), hit the Autobahn there and you'll be at the ring in under an hour. I would guess, that will give you about 7-8 hours of pure driving time if you keep it rolling at a serious pace.

As far as 1Ms go... I'm sure you'll automatically meet some at the ring. I know four or five guys that regularly drive the ring, that have one ordered and will have it by then. Just don't underestimate a Sunday on the ring. If the weather rocks, you'll feel like a mobile chicane in the traffic there!

@Skyphab: Black Forrest on a Saturday/Sunday in the summer? I wouldn't do it. There'll be motorbikes swarming all over the place trying to kill themselves and others. And the more interesting the roads get, the more of those you'll meet.

@torquedemon: Don't confuse stateside driving with the driving in Germany! 10 hours serious driving on German roads and someone not used to that type of traffic will drop dead! No joke! And as far as the beers the night before go... beware of the plural! It's real beer.
      04-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Well, it depends. But I would say its doable and still fun.
You'll drive about 3.5 hours to Waldshut-Tiengen where the fun begins. So 3.5 hours highway is not a big problem. I don't know about the break in, but it's mostly unrestricted highway.

Then you do a little break and then begins the fun. Through black forest you can go always back to the highway if you're fed up. If you do the full trip through black forest (4h) you end up with 2.5h highway left to the Nuerburgring.

Sounds ok for me, but still a long trip

@EmmDrei: Well, of course there will be more traffic but if you just have the Saturday there is no option. Or skip the trip, but it's an special experience. Just my 2 cents.
      04-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
snowfro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Awesome advice! Thanks!

So... YES I think I want to drive 10 hours no problem. My friend will be with me and I'm sure he will want to drive as well. I assume if we leave Munich at 8am, drive 10 hours with various stops along the way, we will surely be able to be at the ring by midnight allowing us a good nights rest before fun on the ring on Sunday.

Skyphab - thanks for the route. Actually I wish you all could see the smile on my face get larger as I zoom in and see the curvy twisty lines everywhere get even more curvy and twisty! Looks like an incredible route!

I appreciate the information also about the speed limit. I will feel compelled to push it (when appropriate) and definitley don't want to get into a lot of trouble in case I push a little too hard!

Thanks! You guys are great.
2004 x3 manual
2011 1m
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
snowfro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Haha EmmDrei I read your post after I responded! Yikes!
2004 x3 manual
2011 1m
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...45,7.13562&z=8

According to that it shows 5 Hours.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

@skyphab - That route does look awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
snowfro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

OK so I am a little worried about agressive bikers... They make me nervous on normal driving situations. I love motorcycles but they always seem to sneak up on me! And I'm looking at my mirrors all the time too.

I do love to drive, and enjoy extended trips. If there are places to stop along the way I'm OK with it, I also like that I could always head back to the Autobahn if I get tired of the little roads.

I would probably stop to check out some sightseeing that was on the way, as in on the side of the road. At this point I think I am more interested in putting some KM on the car before the ring than sightseeing, and I can always come back and do that with a rental car.

I love beer! But yes due to the rarity of the opportunity that I will have to drive my car in Germany I will have to take it easy to ensure I'll be ready and fit for the experience the next day.

So the black forest route, are we talking about bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic or just some slow moving?

As far as meeting people on the ring, that would be great to run into a few fellow members (not just 1m) also to some 1ms. If any of you live along the route that I end up taking let me know!

THANKS GUYS.
2004 x3 manual
2011 1m
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

No stop & go traffic
Well, you got to know that black forest is THE place for people who want to enjoy their motorbike or car. There are normal people that just drive through this area, there are tourist that drive with 50kph and try to enjoy the view (GO HOME!! ) and there are sportcar drivers and mostly motorbike drivers that are on a fast run.
You'll meet bike drivers that drive like on a race track with their machines. It's crazy and that is what EmmDrei ment.

I did several thousands KM in the black forest but never had any problems. You got to stay concentrated and watch out for other cars. There are wider roads and there are tiny and small ones. It differs very much.

Just searched for some videos and that's what I would could a small to narrow road in black forest (it has no road marking in the middle):
      04-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
snowfro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

^^^
2004 x3 manual
2011 1m
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #16
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfro View Post
OK so I am a little worried about agressive bikers... They make me nervous on normal driving situations. I love motorcycles but they always seem to sneak up on me! And I'm looking at my mirrors all the time too.

I do love to drive, and enjoy extended trips. If there are places to stop along the way I'm OK with it, I also like that I could always head back to the Autobahn if I get tired of the little roads.

I would probably stop to check out some sightseeing that was on the way, as in on the side of the road. At this point I think I am more interested in putting some KM on the car before the ring than sightseeing, and I can always come back and do that with a rental car.

I love beer! But yes due to the rarity of the opportunity that I will have to drive my car in Germany I will have to take it easy to ensure I'll be ready and fit for the experience the next day.

So the black forest route, are we talking about bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic or just some slow moving?

As far as meeting people on the ring, that would be great to run into a few fellow members (not just 1m) also to some 1ms. If any of you live along the route that I end up taking let me know!

THANKS GUYS.
Please one last advice, if you are on the smaller winding roads in the black forrest (especially in the middle) keep as tight as possible to your right.
Cuz if it's bizzy outthere you will not now what you'll see.
Been there done that
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #17
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

^^^ What a great road.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #18
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Ah, you said you like beer?
I did a slight modification to your () route, so it does drive by Rothaus brewery.

Very most famous beer from black forest, but of course not as famous as beer from Munich

http://maps.google.de/maps?f=d&sourc...,0.080681&z=14
      04-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #19
BimmerJim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Garage List
Finally, someone from the U.S. doing a ED on their 1M. It was getting a little boring with only Canadians taking ED since we all know that the U.S. is BMW's best market.

"M-the most powerful Letter in the World"!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #20
TobiasMUC
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Coupe E92

Garage List
2009 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
Hi Erick,

if you want to explore munich by night to have some drinks, then the "Platzl" ist a good place to start.
http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&sourc...,0.008234&z=18

You will find a lot of bars and clubs around there, the Hofbräuhaus and you can achieve anything without a car.

In my opinion the trip from Munich to the Ring on an Saturday is a challenge.
I hope you won't have to many tourists on the road.

Greetings from Munich!

Tobi
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Erick - you should reconsider your trip plans. Anything more than driving four hours per day and you will be wiped DEAD. I have driven 14 hours in one day in the states... it is NOTHING like driving over here. Probably after thre hours you mind will be mush. EmmDrei is right! Plus driving on the 'Ring on a weekend is nuts. There are soooo many fast cars and crazy race car drivers there. You will be way over here head. It is far better to go there during the week in the afternoon/evening.

Don't drive anywhere on Fridays on the AUobahns. There are always huge stau's on Fridays. My advice would be to head South of Munich - see the Alps or Garmisch. Then maybe drive to Stuttgart (Porsche & MB Museums) and then on up to the Ring. Or you could go to Austria's Gross Glockner Pass or Italy? You really should wait until you get some miles 800 or so before hitting the Ring.

Also... did I understand you first post... you will fly into Munich and then in the afternoon pickup your car? Are you nuts? I know after I fly eight plus hours the first thing I want to do is take a nice shower and a nap. I would pick up your car the following day.

Maybe this will help give you some ideas...

Dackel's European Delivery Museum Guide

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494657

Dackel

Last edited by Dackelone; 04-28-2011 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #22
AW 1M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I picked up a car in Stuttgart last year. For the first three or four days after delivery, the only place I wanted to be was driving that car. We drove to the Swiss Alps for the night. I awoke at 6 the next morning and went for a short drive before my wife woke up. I only stopped for gas and returned 6 hours later to pick her up. I then drove another 5 hr and was not ready to get out of the car. The traffic didn't bother me. It made it easier for me to follow the recommended break in.

Later in the trip, I drove some mountain roads in Italy on a weekend with lots of bikers. I actually found it enjoyable. They knew the roads and were more predictable that drivers here. On one straight, they all slowed down for no reason I could identify. About 1/2 km down the road were a few police just waiting. One was standing on either side of the road with hands on hips and a few were in cars. It was like a scene out of a movie. If it weren't for the bikers, I would likely have been talking to them.

I would recommend getting a good nights sleep and enjoy the mountain roads. The traffic will be good for the break in. I found driving in europe was much easier because the drivers are more predictable.

Your timing sounds perfect to enjoy the autobahn as it should be. Some locals advised me that the time to really enjoy no speed limits is either late at night or early on a Sunday morning. There are no trucks on Sunday and the morning traffic is light. It gave me a chance to really open her up, as they say.

You are going to have the time of your life.

Last edited by AW 1M; 04-28-2011 at 02:22 AM..
Appreciate 0