BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-04-2024, 09:57 PM   #1
Childish_cambino
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [9.25]
Track pad recommendations?

Wondering what the current consensus is on track focused pads that are tolerable on the street? I’m currently running Hawk HPS 5.0 pads on my factory brembo setup and the pads have been fading pretty hard after a few laps, even on my street tires. Hoping to upgrade pads again before my next weekend out to hopefully fix the issue
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 01:12 PM   #2
rackhenry
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 128, Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish_cambino View Post
Wondering what the current consensus is on track focused pads that are tolerable on the street? I’m currently running Hawk HPS 5.0 pads on my factory brembo setup and the pads have been fading pretty hard after a few laps, even on my street tires. Hoping to upgrade pads again before my next weekend out to hopefully fix the issue
What does tolerable on street mean to you? noise , dust or stopping friction on street?

Pagid rs29 worked great for me on my previous track car, but are pricey. They are an endurance pad and last a long time as well. I sold my previous track car few years ago. But if I recall they were kinda noisy cold. However stopping power cold was pretty good. Its a very consistent pad as well. In other words the characteristics cold vs hot don't change super drastically.
2007 Exige - Sold - Double Dang it!!
1990 M3 - Sold - Dang it!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 01:19 PM   #3
Childish_cambino
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [9.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackhenry View Post
What does tolerable on street mean to you? noise , dust or stopping friction on street?

Pagid rs29 worked great for me on my previous track car, but are pricey. They are an endurance pad and last a long time as well. I sold my previous track car few years ago. But if I recall they were kinda noisy cold. However stopping power cold was pretty good. Its a very consistent pad as well. In other words the characteristics cold vs hot don't change super drastically.
Dust and noise are sort of inevitable right? I’m not worried about the dust, and I think I’d be ok with the noise so long as it quiets down when they’re hot, but I definitely want something that has at least SOME stopping power cold. Sounds like Pagid is the way to go 🤟🏻
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 09:41 AM   #4
rackhenry
Private
Rep

Quote:
Dust and noise are sort of inevitable right? I’m not worried about the dust, and I think I’d be ok with the noise so long as it quiets down when they’re hot, but I definitely want something that has at least SOME stopping power cold. Sounds like Pagid is the way to go 🤟🏻
The friction coefficient , seems to be fairly consistent from cold to hot.. not like say other pads that had zero stopping when cold then, when hot were a completely different pad.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 06:18 PM   #5
Brian_
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 128i, '18 VW Golf

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I've been pretty happy with the Hawk ER-1 pads.
Has good consistent friction levels across the temp range and still has plenty of stopping power cold.
Also feel like they have better modulation than the DTC-60 pads I used previously with a lower peak friction which is just fine for the lower tier 200 TW tires I typically run

https://www.hawkperformance.com/er-1
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 09:31 PM   #6
autobahn_don
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

I run EBC Yellowstuff pads and they are actually surprisingly good for the price point. Great bite from cold, little noisey on the street, don’t seem to destroy rotors, definitely some dust.

My 128i is converted to 135i brembo calipers. I only ever run for about 20 minutes at a time on the track, but never have any fade issues. We will see how they do with 200TW tires this season.

Some of my friends who are much more avid and experienced track drivers favor the Carbotech XP8 pads, but I’ve never run them personally and cannot comment on their street or track manners.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 09:40 PM   #7
Childish_cambino
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [9.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn_don View Post
I run EBC Yellowstuff pads and they are actually surprisingly good for the price point. Great bite from cold, little noisey on the street, don’t seem to destroy rotors, definitely some dust.

My 128i is converted to 135i brembo calipers. I only ever run for about 20 minutes at a time on the track, but never have any fade issues. We will see how they do with 200TW tires this season.

Some of my friends who are much more avid and experienced track drivers favor the Carbotech XP8 pads, but I’ve never run them personally and cannot comment on their street or track manners.
I’m torn between the EBC yellowstuff and Pagid yellow at this point; a buddy of mine was running the Pagids on his 911 at my most recent weekend and he said they did really well. That said, they’re something like 700 dollars for all 4 corners which I don’t love.

And I’m going 200tw too, I destroyed my MPSS in 3 weekends which isn’t ideal. Thinking about picking up the Conti EC Forces, out of curiosity what are you planning on running?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 04:48 PM   #8
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i coupe

I would highly recommend the Ferodo dsunno. I was able to hot lap endlessly with no fade for as long as 45 minutes straight, with no cool down, and on the street, they aren't very noisy and have a good bite even when cold.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 04:51 PM   #9
rackhenry
Private
Rep

Quote:
I’m torn between the EBC yellowstuff and Pagid yellow at this point; a buddy of mine was running the Pagids on his 911 at my most recent weekend and he said they did really well. That said, they’re something like 700 dollars for all 4 corners which I don’t love.

And I’m going 200tw too, I destroyed my MPSS in 3 weekends which isn’t ideal. Thinking about picking up the Conti EC Forces, out of curiosity what are you planning on running?
Cambino,

Yes the Pagid are pricey but they are extremely easy on rotors as well. That may or may not be a consideration for you. If you are going to do a few track days a year, then perhaps a less expensive pad may be great, but if you are track junky, then the longevity of the pads and the gentleness on the rotors pay for themselves imho. Im going to be running the same pads on my 128 btw.

Good luck whichever option you chose!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 07:14 PM   #10
Childish_cambino
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [9.25]
Quote:
Cambino,

Yes the Pagid are pricey but they are extremely easy on rotors as well. That may or may not be a consideration for you. If you are going to do a few track days a year, then perhaps a less expensive pad may be great, but if you are track junky, then the longevity of the pads and the gentleness on the rotors pay for themselves imho. Im going to be running the same pads on my 128 btw.

Good luck whichever option you chose!
This is actually a really good point to keep in mind; I’m still relatively new to the hobby, but I’m absolutely positively fully addicted. I’ve only done 3 weekends so far but they’ve all been in the last month 😂 I’ll probably be somewhere like 10-12 weekends a year… need to nut up and do it right.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 08:43 PM   #11
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

Switched recently to pagid rs1 in the front and 29 in the rear, after years using EBC yellow.
Pagid is sofar in all elements an upgrade.
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 11:03 AM   #12
rackhenry
Private
Rep

Quote:
This is actually a really good point to keep in mind; I’m still relatively new to the hobby, but I’m absolutely positively fully addicted. I’ve only done 3 weekends so far but they’ve all been in the last month 😂 I’ll probably be somewhere like 10-12 weekends a year… need to nut up and do it right.

FYI,, some new pads as well from pagid

https://www.pagidracing.com/en/produ...sl/rsl-29.html
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 09:45 PM   #13
Childish_cambino
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [9.25]
Quote:
FYI,, some new pads as well from pagid

https://www.pagidracing.com/en/produ...sl/rsl-29.html
Just ordered these, super stoked
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 11:42 AM   #14
autobahn_don
Registered
Rep

Quote:

Sorry the late reply - I see you purchased the Pagids, keep us updated on how they do. I’ll probably burn up another set of Yellowstuff, but I’ll be looking to upgrade towards end of season probably.

I’ll be running Falken RT660s this season. I’m able to get them at wholesale cost so the price is hard to beat despite any inherent pitfalls of that particular tire. Last season I ran the FK510 which wasn’t terrible for a 300TW. Could only get 5-6 fast laps at my local <1.5mile track before they got greasy.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 01:42 PM   #15
Childish_cambino
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [9.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn_don View Post
Sorry the late reply - I see you purchased the Pagids, keep us updated on how they do. I’ll probably burn up another set of Yellowstuff, but I’ll be looking to upgrade towards end of season probably.

I’ll be running Falken RT660s this season. I’m able to get them at wholesale cost so the price is hard to beat despite any inherent pitfalls of that particular tire. Last season I ran the FK510 which wasn’t terrible for a 300TW. Could only get 5-6 fast laps at my local <1.5mile track before they got greasy.
I’ll definitely let you know how the brakes hold up. My next weekend is in early May at Road Atlanta again.

I also ended up ordering some 17x8.5 Apex ARC-8s with Hankook RS-4s at 245 width, so hopefully the endurance tire marketing holds true and they last me a good while longer than my MPSS did
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 02:22 PM   #16
autobahn_don
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I’ll definitely let you know how the brakes hold up. My next weekend is in early May at Road Atlanta again.

I also ended up ordering some 17x8.5 Apex ARC-8s with Hankook RS-4s at 245 width, so hopefully the endurance tire marketing holds true and they last me a good while longer than my MPSS did
Nice. I’ve heard good things about RS-4s. I opted for a 235 section width (also on 17x8.5) since RT660s run super wide. Still on B12 suspension so I’m a little worried about clearance.

You’re lucky to have Road Atlanta near you. That’s a bucket list track for me. All the bigger tracks are a 2.5hr+ drive away from me. My local track only has 2 hard braking zones and caters heavily towards momentum cars so its not super hard on brakes. Good fun in a 128, no doubt!
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2024, 06:08 PM   #17
rackhenry
Private
Rep

Quote:
Just ordered these, super stoked
Let us know how you like them!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 10:24 AM   #18
ByeByeVTEC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Why not try the EBC Bluestuff (the newer NDX ones)?

From everything I've read they are fine for street (but more of a drive to track and a few days before / after) and also much better than EBC Yellowstuff for track days.

I'm happy to see a +1 for the EBC though as I had seen mixed reviews online. I believe I'll be going EBC Bluestuff on all 4 corners.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 06:49 PM   #19
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

Have been using yellow and blue, both fine for the street and not dramatic on the track, however the pagid rs1/rs29 combo is far superior, however they do make squeezing noise when cold, as soon the temps are up, the sound is gone.
They give me much more trust on the track.
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 10:27 PM   #20
ByeByeVTEC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Interesting, that is great feedback!

Sounds like the Pagid do what you pay for but not sure if I can handle then price difference for the 1-2 events I'll do per year. Will keep it in mind though! With all the online retailers offering lifetime replacement on consumables like these I feel like I'll be stuck with whatever choice I make!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rismo View Post
Have been using yellow and blue, both fine for the street and not dramatic on the track, however the pagid rs1/rs29 combo is far superior, however they do make squeezing noise when cold, as soon the temps are up, the sound is gone.
They give me much more trust on the track.
Appreciate 0