BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-26-2015, 12:45 AM   #1
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3

Gruppe M intake vs AFE Stage 2 vs all the rest

Hey guys,

Considering a new intake for the 1M. Initially I dismissed the Gruppe M due to price, but after seeing one in person it changed my mind a little. The build quality look superb, and given I'm not planning on moving the car on anytime soon I feel I might be able to justify the cost...maybe.

I've read all the threads on them, but still can't ascertain what sort of induction noise difference they produce. Can anyone shed light on this?

The other option is am AFe Stage 2 dual cone intake. I'd rather not go for something that looks so aftermarket, but I like the semi-enclosed design and it'll definitely add some induction noise. Anyone running one want to share their opinion?

Dinan is out due to modifications needed.

Arma is out as I'm not so sure on the company.

Cheers,

Dane
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 02:00 AM   #2
nesnah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2C

ive got the afe dual cone. I expected it to be louder than it is (maybe because i was used to my Gruppe M intake on a previous car i had, or my akra is droning it out abit lol), but i like it, the sound is refined and not over the top.
Didn't feel any difference in response, but i noticed car breathes better in higher rpm.
As for the looks, i also didn't want something looking so aftermarket, but i think it goes well with the engine bay.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2015, 02:11 AM   #3
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the quick response Nesnah.

As far as dual cones go, I actually think the AFe looks quite good. Glad to hear the induction isn't over the top either, last think I want is for it to overpower the exhaust. Just looking for a nice balance between induction and exhaust, and if I get a few extra HP or mildly better throttle response out of it I'll be happy.

What did you have the Gruppe M on, and what did you think of it?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 04:08 AM   #4
nesnah
Private First Class
Rep

You might not feel any difference in response or any power gains without a tune but you should feel in the upper rpms the car does feel like it's pulling better as it's breathing better.

I had the Gruppe M on a Nissan Silvia s15 at the time. It was loud and unique sounding in a way.. I liked it on a JDM but I wouldn't want such a loud induction sound on my 1M.

By the way where abouts are you in Melbourne? Don't see many 1Ms around but when I do majority are AW. Would love to see a VO up close in person
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's interesting, as I would have thought a semi-enclosed dual cone would be much louder than a fully enclosed airbox.

I'm in the South East mate, what about yourself? I think there's a 1M meet being organised in the Vic forum if you're keen. Mine has to go into BMW tomorrow for some diagnosis due to water getting into the boot, so hopefully it's back up and running in time. Would love to see what the AFe sounds like first hand.

I've owned a couple of 180SX's myself, love the S-Chassis
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:31 PM   #6
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

Forget gruppe m, afe, etc. and get a VRSF or tft inlet system. They run for like 280 new and way more gains. Only downside is install.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 11:23 PM   #7
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kong24680 View Post
Forget gruppe m, afe, etc. and get a VRSF or tft inlet system. They run for like 280 new and way more gains. Only downside is install.
Thanks for the suggestion, but looks way too aftermarket for my likings. Only really interested in bolt-on options at this stage.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 11:24 PM   #8
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

VTT and rb have silicon inlets that utilize the stock location, but it's more pricey.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 11:41 PM   #9
totti84
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i 6MT

Garage List
I would recommend Dinan CF intake.. half the price of Gruppe M.

If money is no issue, definitely go VTT/RB inlets with Gruppe M intake.. loved mine on my S15!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 01:50 AM   #10
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The Dinan is a nice looking bit of kit too, but I can get the Gruppe M for the same money and after seeing one in person I was very impressed by the build quality. I think if I'm spending north of $1500 I'd go that route...it's just deciding if I can justify that cost!

Keen to hear what feedback people may have on the induction sound with one fitted, but seems not a lot of people on here have taken the plunge??
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #11
nesnah
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
It's interesting, as I would have thought a semi-enclosed dual cone would be much louder than a fully enclosed airbox.

I'm in the South East mate, what about yourself? I think there's a 1M meet being organised in the Vic forum if you're keen. Mine has to go into BMW tomorrow for some diagnosis due to water getting into the boot, so hopefully it's back up and running in time. Would love to see what the AFe sounds like first hand.

I've owned a couple of 180SX's myself, love the S-Chassis
Im in the East. Yeah i read about that one but not sure if i'll make it.

I recently put on a cp and turbosmart diverter valves and coupled with the afe, the diverter valves, even though plumb back, sometimes makes a additional faint noise too.

as for the Gruppe M, you are really just paying for the design and carbon fibre (but how often do you look under the bonnet), and maybe lower IAT as its closed.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:15 PM   #12
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnah View Post
Im in the East. Yeah i read about that one but not sure if i'll make it.

I recently put on a cp and turbosmart diverter valves and coupled with the afe, the diverter valves, even though plumb back, sometimes makes a additional faint noise too.

as for the Gruppe M, you are really just paying for the design and carbon fibre (but how often do you look under the bonnet), and maybe lower IAT as its closed.
Well if you ever want to check out my car just drop me a line and we can catch up. Sounds like we're not all that far from each other most likely.

I was going to go the DV route, but the maintenance was a concern. I wanted to 'set and forget', and the Tial seemed to have the best reviews in that regard. I've heard some cars with the Forge DV's on Youtube, and you can definitely still hear them.

The AFe does sound like the smart money, considering the semi-enclosed is $600 as opposed to 2k.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 11:03 PM   #13
totti84
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
The Dinan is a nice looking bit of kit too, but I can get the Gruppe M for the same money and after seeing one in person I was very impressed by the build quality. I think if I'm spending north of $1500 I'd go that route...it's just deciding if I can justify that cost!

Keen to hear what feedback people may have on the induction sound with one fitted, but seems not a lot of people on here have taken the plunge??
Last time I checked Dinan was $1300US and Gruppe M $2300US excluding shipping. Have prices changed??
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #14
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by totti84 View Post
Last time I checked Dinan was $1300US and Gruppe M $2300US excluding shipping. Have prices changed??
It's cheaper to buy directly from Japan for us here in OZ. Seems we can get Gruppe M from $2000-$2100 AUD, hence why I'm leaning that way.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 04:02 AM   #15
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Quote:
It's cheaper to buy directly from Japan for us here in OZ. Seems we can get Gruppe M from $2000-$2100 AUD, hence why I'm leaning that way.

The prices are extreme for something that will be out performed by a $99 dual cone setup.

You could buy the tft for cheaper. Especially for US members.

I personally have rb inlets and afe dual cone stage 2 but have always wanted an enclosed setup to reduce iats a bit.

If you like the enclosed oem look why not do a mr5 intake? And add inlets for power? That could be done for 500, then give me 1500.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #16
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, it may be out performed by a Dual Cone, but I'm not interested in having a couple of filters sitting exposed in my engine bay. Firstly for looks, and secondly for iat's.

mr5 could be interesting. I'll have a poke under there with the Tial fitted and see if there's room to make it work.

I'll give you $1500 if you stay under the bonnet and making whooshing sounds as I accelerate. Deal?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 03:43 AM   #17
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Seen the new ecs intake? Looks good and is enclosed
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 11:33 PM   #18
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post
Seen the new ecs intake? Looks good and is enclosed
I hadn't seen that yet, looks pretty good!

I can't seem to find anyone with real-world results as yet. I'll do some more research and see what I come up with. Looks like a nice compromise between something like the AFE dual cone and the Gruppe M.

Nice to see it's a fair bit cheaper than the Gruppe M. I don't think the inlet needs to be CF as its the same design anyway, and the standard item looks fine so probably a good part to save money on.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #19
xjan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Anyone running the BMC carbon kit? Cost around 1000eur

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/eng/crf...22-01/1142/art
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #20
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjan View Post
Anyone running the BMC carbon kit? Cost around 1000eur

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/eng/crf...22-01/1142/art
Looks like it's just one of their 'Carbon' filters and the top of the airbox. Pretty exxy for just that, be interested to see if anyone is running one.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #21
xjan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Looks like it's just one of their 'Carbon' filters and the top of the airbox. Pretty exxy for just that, be interested to see if anyone is running one.
Found some more pics and dyno charts here:
http://www.kfzteile-mayer.de/luftfil...lter-crf722/01
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 10:32 PM   #22
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjan View Post
Found some more pics and dyno charts here:
http://www.kfzteile-mayer.de/luftfil...lter-crf722/01
That's the one I saw which made me realise it was just a replacement filter and cover. Doesn't seem like great value...though I winder how well it works in independent tests?
Appreciate 0