BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #1
Baileythebimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i 1M conversion

The Unsolvable VANOS issue.

Repost from N54tech: Hey guys so if anybody can remember my previous issue with VANOS on my engine, I have been issues that have kept my car undrivable for months now. After swapping on brand new turbos and clutch, car gave numerous VANOS codes such as 2A87. After cleaning and then eventually buying new VANOS solenoids and still having same symptoms, it was recommended to lift valve cover and check the camshaft bearing ledges. Low and behold they were scratched, mech recommended replacing them. While there we discovered the issue with my chronic smoking (cracked piston).

Fast forward a couple months till now.

Car started up finally with the parts in Tuesday. Sounded good and idled fine for about 20 minutes then turned off went home to button her up next day. Next day put car down and set her on the streets. Car started running bad, stalling out unable to maintain idle. Pulled code 2A9A along with some misfires in 1 and 6. Swapped in brand new sparks and coils. Issues persist. Started looking for fuel issues. Emptied tank and put in new fuel with additives(e85 been sitting for a while). Issues persists. Data logged for fuel pumps and even swapped LPFP buckets anyways with good working 450. Issue persists. Now leaning to once again VANOS issue. Idled car multiple times and never fails to do so. I have videoed the issue along with data logging it. Any and all opinions are welcomed. Have two working donor cars that can swap parts from so don't be shy with ideas. Thanks all!
Edit/Delete Message
      10-21-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
Baileythebimmer
Private
Rep

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsF0MhbV4NnUkBoDy_DCxhMEC0bJ

Video of cars idle and stall.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsF0MhbV4NnUkBtldQ5POwJc8vob

Datalog of car start, run and stall out
      10-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i LeMans Blue/Terracota

What codes are you throwing now? Can you post them?

Also, do you have MHD? I'd like to see an MHD log/code list
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

After some searching I found this:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27725

Camshaft bearing ledge was the culprit.

DIY to fix:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973045
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
Baileythebimmer
Private
Rep

Hey thanks for a reply but as you see in the original post I already did that, both of them thanks!
      10-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
Baileythebimmer
Private
Rep

Update: I would like to mention that earlier today the mechanic suspected the timing was off by a little. He then reset timing with a different set of VANOS gears/sprocket/bolts. Car is now staying on and idling however as I went to drive the car, it has a very noticeable shudder under light acceleration from about 1500-2000rpms ish, all the gears same thing. They tried swapping coils same issue and put in new sparks same issue. No codes either. Any thoughts on this issue guys?
      10-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #7
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

I'm a Bmw tech... when I have 2a87 or 2a82 the first thing I check is the oil filter to make sure it's a Bmw original one, make sure the stem on the oil filter cap is still there and attached to the cap, and make sure the green o-ring on the end of that stem is still there and in good shape.

The reason for this is if the oil pressure is outside of tolerance the vanos (which as you know is activated via oil pressure) cannot function correctly.

If the oil filter is good then the next thing I would do since you already ruled out most of the vanos system, is check the oil pressure at the oil filter housing and make sure it's within spec.

Fwiw I find in my daily work probably 8 out of 10 cars with those faults have an aftermarket (non Bmw style) oil filter in them, or the filter stem is broken/missing.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10531.50
      10-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #8
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
I'm a Bmw tech... when I have 2a87 or 2a82 the first thing I check is the oil filter to make sure it's a Bmw original one, make sure the stem on the oil filter cap is still there and attached to the cap, and make sure the green o-ring on the end of that stem is still there and in good shape.

The reason for this is if the oil pressure is outside of tolerance the vanos (which as you know is activated via oil pressure) cannot function correctly.

If the oil filter is good then the next thing I would do since you already ruled out most of the vanos system, is check the oil pressure at the oil filter housing and make sure it's within spec.

Fwiw I find in my daily work probably 8 out of 10 cars with those faults have an aftermarket (non Bmw style) oil filter in them, or the filter stem is broken/missing.
Do you often see failed camshaft bearing ledges?
      10-27-2016, 03:11 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

What kind of oil (brand & viscosity) are you running? I sould start with fresh oil and a factory filter.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #10
andysantoro
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport

Gizmo135i, I guess you recommending replacing that little green o ring each oil change. I've been leaving it alone. Did the same with my E36 after a while. I guess I'll pay more attention to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:46 PM   #11
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
Do you often see failed camshaft bearing ledges?
Not that often... I wouldn't take them apart to check until after the solenoids and oil/filter were ruled out
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #12
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysantoro View Post
Gizmo135i, I guess you recommending replacing that little green o ring each oil change. I've been leaving it alone. Did the same with my E36 after a while. I guess I'll pay more attention to it.
Some people don't... and get away with it, but after a while like any other rubber seal, it's going to wear out and oil will leak past it... the way I see it is it takes 2 seconds to change so why not?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #13
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post

Great information. Thanks for posting this. I was at the dealer a while back talking to the SA (friend of mine). He was explaining how someone left out the o-ring and wiped out a V10 M6 engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 08:14 PM   #14
Baileythebimmer
Private
Rep

Hey guys I've since fixed most issues with the car, the timing was off by a hair causing the codes after putting the head back on.
      Today, 02:27 AM   #15
BMWISLIFE
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88,e90,e39

What was done to fix timing?
Appreciate 0