BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #23
Bimmerguy3
Private
Rep
Drives: E82 128i 6 Speed Sport & Tech

So about to order all the parts and tools I need to get the job done, $1,300 and keeping everything OEM, must say the BMW dealership was much better to deal with than any dealership I've dealt with here. Hoping the West Palm dealer will at least try to do something about programming the headlights. Hopefully I'll have a car in about 8-9 days.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #24
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

This reminds me... for most of my DIY stuff, I buy OEM parts from the dealer. If an OEM part fails within 2 yrs (I think it's 2 yrs), BMW will replace and install it at no cost. So I bought an alternator for my car a few years ago, and installed it myself. When it failed I took it to BMW, and they said no probs with replacement. But - it turned out not to be the alternator, and I got the $200 diagnosis charge and an outrageous repair estimate. Buyer beware...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #25
tomahawk997
Private
Rep
Drives: Slow Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerguy3 View Post
Hey guys so in the middle of a crisis which I didn't see coming. So last night at around 9 pm my headlights just cut off after a car wash and "Adaptive Headlights!" come up on my check. I get the car back home and take it to the dealership today. So symptoms:
1) Xenon's are out, Low and High
2) Driver's side metal clip came out on bottom
3) Driver's side halos; only inner halo comes on.
4) All fuses are good
So the dealership wants $4,145.72 to replace both control modules, headlight assemblies, bulbs and ignitors. However the passenger side drivers assembly is perfectly fine. So my first step was tomorrow check to see where there is water as tonight my driver's side started fogging up.
So how do I prevent this from happening to me? Don't go through a car wash, don't drive in the rain?

Is there anyway to improve the existing sealing to prevent water from getting in? I am now paranoid.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #26
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
This is what made me kind of angry, they said oh yea not a problem they take it back, I'm expecting worse $50 deductible, the SA I had only been there for about a few weeks and came back and told me now it's $170. And I'm going to go talk to an indie shop to see what they think I should replace, the actual replacing isn't too difficult.
i don't think you should pay $170 at all......maybe talk to the manager.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #27
lakylester
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i, A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk997
Quote:
Hey guys so in the middle of a crisis which I didn't see coming. So last night at around 9 pm my headlights just cut off after a car wash and "Adaptive Headlights!" come up on my check. I get the car back home and take it to the dealership today. So symptoms:
1) Xenon's are out, Low and High
2) Driver's side metal clip came out on bottom
3) Driver's side halos; only inner halo comes on.
4) All fuses are good
So the dealership wants $4,145.72 to replace both control modules, headlight assemblies, bulbs and ignitors. However the passenger side drivers assembly is perfectly fine. So my first step was tomorrow check to see where there is water as tonight my driver's side started fogging up.
So how do I prevent this from happening to me? Don't go through a car wash, don't drive in the rain?

Is there anyway to improve the existing sealing to prevent water from getting in? I am now paranoid.
As op said, the metal clipped popped off of the headlight cover. Check these guys every so often and before washes.

I went through the same thing. I am happy to say that I only spent $300.

I had a headlight, loose seal from ae install so water got in. Took the assembly out of the car, took off the xenon ballast, and the adaptive control module. They were both fried. I bought a used xenon headlight in eBay for 300 (missing bulbs, big chance is your bulb is fine. BMW said I would need to replace that as well, lol). Took out the ballast and module out of the used assembly - into the new. Works like a charm now. I really don't think anything is harmed inside your assembly besides the ballast & module.

Take a peek at my thread; FS Euro lights, will show you how to get at both ballast & module. I think I posted the damage there too. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #28
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Nope, everything is stock. Only thing I've touched are rims, exhaust and fogs.
You have a CPO? I'd be willing to bet that the PO did an AE "upgrade" when they had the car. That seems to be how most (if not all) of these headlight failures come from.
      09-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #29
Dream1
Rep
Drives: 135i - 2012

If there is no luck with the warranty and you are inclined to mechanics, given that the pcs will cost you $1200, you can try almost 3 times to get it right for the price the dealer is giving you...I would say DYI

JB
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #30
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
You have a CPO? I'd be willing to bet that the PO did an AE "upgrade" when they had the car. That seems to be how most (if not all) of these headlight failures come from.
I'll have to check mine, but I'm kind of glad my AEs are still the yellow HIDs. I think the only thing the PO on mine did is get blacked out grills, which I like. I'll have to check some other things to make sure nothing was done or was done wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #31
Bimmerguy3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakylester View Post
As op said, the metal clipped popped off of the headlight cover. Check these guys every so often and before washes.

I went through the same thing. I am happy to say that I only spent $300.

I had a headlight, loose seal from ae install so water got in. Took the assembly out of the car, took off the xenon ballast, and the adaptive control module. They were both fried. I bought a used xenon headlight in eBay for 300 (missing bulbs, big chance is your bulb is fine. BMW said I would need to replace that as well, lol). Took out the ballast and module out of the used assembly - into the new. Works like a charm now. I really don't think anything is harmed inside your assembly besides the ballast & module.

Take a peek at my thread; FS Euro lights, will show you how to get at both ballast & module. I think I posted the damage there too. Best of luck.
When yours went bad did only one side go out? I'm trying to figure out why both of mine did.. They said water got in both even though my passenger clip was fine. And yes I checked today the AE are not oem bulbs
And now the ones I were going to buy ended on eBay and they just relisted it for $250 more.. Frustrated with this so far.. Anybody know of any good suppliers for the assemblies?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #32
Bimmerguy3
Private
Rep

Wait so do you guys think there's a chance my assemblies are fine? Should I try just doing just the module? From what the dealership told me the module is the ballast, then there's an igniter then the bulb.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #33
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomnad View Post
Damn! Glad I have regular old halogen bulbs! You know what BMW stands for: Bring Money Withya!
In no way does this thread make a justification for desiring the terrible stock halogens.
      09-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #34
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Had the same issue with my Z4, After a wash my left side HID went out, Dealer wanted to replace everything, Took the light out and found the seal had opened up allowing water in, found the ballast was located at the bottom of the headlight housing, water had trickled down into the ballast and shorting it out. Replaced ballast and all worked great. Also resealed light.
Check to see if water had made it into the ballasts. Theirs no reason to replace light and igniters.

CPO only covers engine and trans stuff basically.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #35
Bimmerguy3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Had the same issue with my Z4, After a wash my left side HID went out, Dealer wanted to replace everything, Took the light out and found the seal had opened up allowing water in, found the ballast was located at the bottom of the headlight housing, water had trickled down into the ballast and shorting it out. Replaced ballast and all worked great. Also resealed light.
Check to see if water had made it into the ballasts. Theirs no reason to replace light and igniters.

CPO only covers engine and trans stuff basically.
Thank you for the response, I'm going to try and fix the seal tomorrow if not might have to replace that one side. After more hours of research this is basically what I'm thinking happened to mine because the tech said the bottom of both were opened but I went through an undercarriage wash so I just got unlucky and fried both of my control modules/ballasts. I'm ordering them right now and tomorrow going to check if my ALC boxes are ok.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 01:33 AM   #36
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

REplace your bulb if that doesnt help try swapping ignition blocks if then it will not work replace lights module. Try to look for parts on ebay or crashed car.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #37
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

$1k+ because of a $0.20 bit of rubber? WTF!
So to sum it up...if you own a 135i do not drive it in the rain, the snow or the fog.
Buy said car, wrap it in plastic and place it in the garage and drive a Toyota? WTF!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #38
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
LONG shot here but if you have Geico, chances are you might be paying for MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance) which basically covers EVERY repair outside of normal wear & tear, with a $200 deducible. I've only kept MBI on my policy for BMW's knowing how costly repairs can be outside of the 4yr/50k.
      09-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #39
awns729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
LONG shot here but if you have Geico, chances are you might be paying for MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance) which basically covers EVERY repair outside of normal wear & tear, with a $200 deducible. I've only kept MBI on my policy for BMW's knowing how costly repairs can be outside of the 4yr/50k.
was about to consider this, but its only for newer cars. can't purcahse if its > 15 months old or > 15k miles
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #40
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by awns729 View Post
was about to consider this, but its only for newer cars. can't purcahse if its > 15 months old or > 15k miles
Yea was thinking maybe you has this policy on since day 1, sorry man.
      09-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #41
Bimmerguy3
Private
Rep

I ordered the lights module. If the bottom of the headlight assembly was leaking then it took those out as the water would run down the bottom and short them. If that doesn't work I'll do the bulbs and igniters, then last step would be assemblies.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #42
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
In no way does this thread make a justification for desiring the terrible stock halogens.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #43
Bimmerguy3
Private
Rep

^+1 and even upgraded projectors assemblies not OEM, completely different. OEM is just so much better, I would never rather have halogens than this situation even though it sucks, freak accident.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #44
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

As i read this here in NJ...it is raining outside......
So apparently this car is made for Germany...where it never rains and there is no snow?
Appreciate 0