BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #45
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Why are you guys so stuck on this CF roof ? It is not that big of a deal, at the end it is still given you as an option. Grow up
      10-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #46
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
Peoples... it is not how much weight, but WHERE that weight is located and the premium it takes to remove it. Changing the center of gravity can have a drastic effect on how a car rotates, or handles.

Horsepower doesn't matter if you can't apply it. Thus, 8lbs can matter in a turn...
8lbs is such a small change, it's completely irrelevant. It's actually funny how big a deal folks talk it up, on a 3300lb+ vehicle.

Yea, it's the 0.2% that'll make you a canyon carver. So the 5'6" dude in the one next to you should be able to CRUSH, with that fat noggin of yours rubbing the headliner, so far up in the stratosphere, ruining the car's balance.

If it's such a big deal, I'm SURE there are C&D, Motor Trend, Road & Track . . . SOME legit source has tested it and found out exactly what it offers. Please cite the documentation!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #47
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
8lbs is such a small change, it's completely irrelevant. It's actually funny how big a deal folks talk it up, on a 3300lb+ vehicle.

Yea, it's the 0.2% that'll make you a canyon carver. So the 5'6" dude in the one next to you should be able to CRUSH, with that fat noggin of yours rubbing the headliner, so far up in the stratosphere, ruining the car's balance.

If it's such a big deal, I'm SURE there are C&D, Motor Trend, Road & Track . . . SOME legit source has tested it and found out exactly what it offers. Please cite the documentation!
Hey now!
Some of use want it for looks and potentially a bit of extra headroom!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 08:05 AM   #48
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Understanding that removing the weight (especially from the top of the car) matters, I'd have to agree with Kurt on this one that in the grand scheme of things, it won't have that big of an impact on the car's overall performance and handling. I think the people who are saying the CF roof is a deal breaker are a bit narrow-minded and rushing to judgment about the 1M.

Maybe someone has done a comparo between current M3 with CF roof and with the sunroof to either confirm or disprove my conjecture.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #49
niuniu
NO DOGMA
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: baby bimmer

Really just makes your car look more exotic - that's why I want the cf roof. I'm honest about that - looks are just as important as performance to me so I'll happily pay a premium for a cf roof with the weight saving (modest as it is) as justification. It will counter the load of goods I put in the car somewhat I guess.

If it was possible to have a cf roof, hood, boot lid, boot floor etc and stack the weight loss, then it'd be something to get really excited about in terms of maxing performance.
      10-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #50
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
Really just makes your car look more exotic - that's why I want the cf roof. I'm honest about that - looks are just as important as performance to me so I'll happily pay a premium for a cf roof with the weight saving (modest as it is) as justification. It will counter the load of goods I put in the car somewhat I guess.

If it was possible to have a cf roof, hood, boot lid, boot floor etc and stack the weight loss, then it'd be something to get really excited about in terms of maxing performance.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #51
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderz17 View Post
Ok, I must be missing something. I can't find mention of carbon fiber anywhere in the article. Was it mentioned only in the magazine article, not online?
Thanks to Dackelone here's the scan mentioning the CF roof:

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #52
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

That is avery poor photoshop and very out of date - compare with official pictures. So maybe the cf info is also rubbish
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #53
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep

Yeah, if that was the only indication of an optional CF roof, then I think we may be getting spun up over nothing.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #54
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, if that was the only indication of an optional CF roof, then I think we may be getting spun up over nothing.
That's why there's a question mark in the title.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #55
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep

Ok, I see it now. I interpreted it as a statement from Autobild. Also, it's now on Bimmerpost's front page, and it just says, "Carbon fiber roof to be available as a factory option." No question mark there.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #56
treehacker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

But the Autobild also stated that there is no M-LSD in the Optionlist. Shure its not in the option list.. its standard.... tztztzt... they not very up to date...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #57
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
Ok, I see it now. I interpreted it as a statement from Autobild. Also, it's now on Bimmerpost's front page, and it just says, "Carbon fiber roof to be available as a factory option." No question mark there.
A good note!

Anyway, more options is good way to go in M-cars. Without current safety legislation, BMW could have a very deep option list. Think this from totally new point of view. You take a base car certain engine and transmission. Then, you could choose your package ground up. No dashboard, no rear seats, no carpets, no seats, no interior trim. All options if you want. And of course dealers had "Basic package" and "luxury package" to sell but for example track oriented persons could order the car stripped off already.

I think it wouldn't take extreme moves to deliver cars from very individual basis, but law is the major problem.
      10-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #58
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitkis View Post
A good note!

Anyway, more options is good way to go in M-cars. Without current safety legislation, BMW could have a very deep option list. Think this from totally new point of view. You take a base car certain engine and transmission. Then, you could choose your package ground up. No dashboard, no rear seats, no carpets, no seats, no interior trim. All options if you want. And of course dealers had "Basic package" and "luxury package" to sell but for example track oriented persons could order the car stripped off already.

I think it wouldn't take extreme moves to deliver cars from very individual basis, but law is the major problem.
Not sure I agree.

There's nothing stopping a person from ordering a "base" M3 or 1M, then simply pulling the dash/rear or passenger seats/headliner/carpet/trim.

The fact is, almost NO ONE wants that, or they'd do what I said.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #59
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Well, it is a statement from Autobild. The picture title says that CF roof would be available as an option, so it's not just the Photoshop indicating so. The Bimmerpost frontpage says "Report: 1M Coupe Carbon Fiber Roof to be Available as a Factory Option", and even the subtitle mentions that there are doubts about this. Hence I think it's pretty clear that this isn't something as clear as other details on the 1M.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #60
Shinobi
Addicted to AutoX
Rep
Drives: Modded e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
It saves 3.7 kg or 8.2 lbs over a steel top (without sun-roof) on the E92.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
OK, I'm confused here. 8lbs is the difference between a steel roof without a moon-roof and a C/F one. So is that what the 1M will have standard? Just a steel roof, no moon-roof? To keep costs down? I don't think I saw anything definitive on that.

If not, and it does have a moon-roof standard, then the weight savings with a CF roof are much greater than 8lbs...more like 50+ right?
      10-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #61
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
OK, I'm confused here. 8lbs is the difference between a steel roof without a moon-roof and a C/F one. So is that what the 1M will have standard? Just a steel roof, no moon-roof? To keep costs down? I don't think I saw anything definitive on that.

If not, and it does have a moon-roof standard, then the weight savings with a CF roof are much greater than 8lbs...more like 50+ right?
I seriously doubt a glass moonroof weighs 42 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #62
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post

Exactly, I just found the official figures for the E92 M3 again: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107142

It saves 11 lbs. over a standard steel roof w/o moonroof and 44 lbs. over a steel roof with moonroof. I guess it would be a little less for the E82.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #63
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
I'd gander that they might include the CF roof as a performance package option (CF lip spoiler, splitters, diffuser, etc.). It'd be easier for them to include everything in one package and more marketable. This way they could charge more for everything but offer something more enticing. Just my opinion.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #64
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Exactly, I just found the official figures for the E92 M3 again: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107142

It saves 11 lbs. over a standard steel roof w/o moonroof and 44 lbs. over a steel roof with moonroof. I guess it would be a little less for the E82.

Best regards,
south
Truth be told, an 8 lb reduction as well as the added aesthetic of a CF roof would be enough for me to get this option. But a ~44lb weight savings makes it an absolute no brainer for me. Only thing that remains to be seen is what the cost of this option will definitively be.

On this topic... it makes me wonder... what will the car come with bone stock? From what I've read so far... this car is coming pretty stripped. I think we're looking at another 12-15k in possible add-ons & options.

- esquire

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #65
Shinobi
Addicted to AutoX
Rep
Drives: Modded e46

Quote:

Ah, cool, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Truth be told, an 8 lb reduction as well as the added aesthetic of a CF roof would be enough for me to get this option. But a ~44lb weight savings makes it an absolute no brainer for me. Only thing that remains to be seen is what the cost of this option will definitively be.
+1
      10-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #66
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
U serious..?

Even a child understands the weight of your head, is resting on your seat. If you don't even acknowledge, or understand the simple fundamental reason why there are carbon fiber roofs, than anything you say is unfounded.. & u cannot even be taken seriously.
WHAT? You think that "weight resting on your seat" is somehow lower in the car than weight at the same elevation NOT resting on the seat?

BTW, keep it about the CAR, not me. Want to take ME on? PM me for your butt-whipping.
Appreciate 0