BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-08-2010, 04:18 AM   #1
tmos
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver 135i

Update on HPFP failure - advice needed

Hi and happy 2010 to all fellow SA 1 addicts out there!

Back in September 2009 I posted a thread regarding suspected HPFP failure with some similar symptoms as described by numerous members on this forum. There was however a slight twist to the scenario as there was no visible error indication on the instrument panel and the car did not enter limp mode. Performance was way down with terrible throttle response and massive turbo lag.

I have been struggling with Northcliff Auto’s Workshop all this time to get my car repaired.

Long story short, after 3 return visits and many arguments over an 8 month period, I managed to get a PUMA case opened on 22 December 2009. After two weeks of waiting for my car, the HPFP and pressure regulator was replaced on Tuesday 5 Jan 2010, at last!

They were then instructed by BMWSA’s technical advisor, to use onboard diagnostic equipment and to take readings on the road under normal driving conditions. The tests revealed that the HPFP was producing 220 milli bars less than the recommended pressure. According to them this disparity is not enough for the ECU to log an error code and hence the reason for them not being able to locate the fault previously with their standard workshop equipment……

Now after the repair I find that throttle response has been resorted to pre failure levels but there seems to be quite a bit of lag when I pull off fast or accelerate hard. The car definitely feels sluggish compared to pre failure conditions when it was new in April 2009.

Is this normal after HPFP replacement and will the ECU adapt itself back to pervious response levels after a few days of driving or is there something else wrong with my 1er?
Can anyone recommend where I can go for a second opinion?
      01-08-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
As a result of repeated failures of the generation 1 and generation 2 HPFP, BMW issued a software update which changed the low-end boost and wastegate control to try and preserve the life of the HPFP's for as long as possible (in effect, trying to limit the number of warranty replacements they'd land up paying for).

With generation 3 HPFP now proving reliable and a huge volume of complaints about their software change introducing lag and degrading performance (not to mention a class action suit against BMW recently launched in California), they have finally conceded and amended the latest software to handle boost and wastegate control more similarly to the way it was in older software.

BMW USA issued a press release which acknowleged the turbo lag although steered clear of any admissions in respect of the HPFP, claiming that the change (introducing the lag) was introduced to remove noise (referring to a metallic wastegate rattle noise on take-off) associated with the old setup. Lies, damn lies, but nonetheless it would be naive to expect them to confess their sins in the media.

You need to get the latest software loaded onto the car AND on top of that, you need to get the dealer to configure the wastegate control to original state.

Here is the BMW TIS report that I'd suggest you print and provide to your dealer:

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B111307g.htm

Note in particular that you need them to load software ISTA/P 2.32.1 or a more recent version first. Thereafter: select "Conversions", and then select "Wastegate valve conversion". Follow the on-screen prompts to reinstall the original waste gate operation.

BTW, it is normal for there to be some additional waste gate related noise after the change. This can sound like a metallic clanking. It is a minor trade-off well worth the benefit of nuking the lag.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
tmos
South Africa
Rep

Thanks for your detailed response gmza!
The info you provided is most appreciated.
I am experiencing great difficulty with my dealer as they are not forthcoming with any technical info I request. Can you recommend a good dealer in this regard?

BTW, has anybody here had vacuum tubes, injectors or cams replaced under warranty yet? Oh, don’t forget the HPFP….
I was confidentially informed by a very reliable source within the BMW dealer chain that all these items on our cars are problematic and need to be replaced at some point as they eventually fail and cause performance related issues on the N54 engine. Apparently dealers are instructed to withhold this info from clients. My source has further revealed that they have had numerous cases of the above and those replacements are only done upon failure (PUMA case has to be initiated) thus no up front replacement.
These issues are clearly design blunders which they will not openly admit to. So Guys, make sure that you get these parts replaced under motor plan otherwise you will need to fork out some serious cash!
      01-11-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
ghusheshe
135 Addict
South Africa
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Your source might be right. I've had HPFP and all 6 cylinders replaced under two diffirent PUMA cases... This sucks, engine light still comes on once every two weeks though... engine stop/start helps to normalise things...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 02:38 AM   #5
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
I haven't heard of issues with the rest. I would think that injector failure is a very likely consequence of ongoing driving with a failed HPFP. Equally likely is that so many dealers are unaware of the HPFP issue that they read the fault codes and land up replacing the injectors unnecessarily (as you will get injector-related fault codes when the HPFP fails even if the injectors are still working).

ghusheshe: sorry to hear about all the troubles you've had. It sounds like they just don't know what is wrong and are replacing anything related to an error message on the engine management. Unfortunately, that's like dealing with the symptoms rather than what's causing them.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
ghusheshe
135 Addict
South Africa
Rep

Thanks GMZA, I am starting to think that my car is jinxed. I am taking it to another dealer on Monday for another assessment and hopefully resolution. Forsdicks Sandton does not seem to know how to solve the problem. The car goes well but the thought of seeing the engine light come on is always there subconsciously...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Forsdicks Sandton are useless when it comes to service or technical work. I have bought three cars from them and my sister has bought from them. I would gladly buy from them again. However, I would not take my car to them for anything more than a basic oil change service and, on occassions that I have, I've been thoroughly annoyed.

I generally use Lyndhurst Auto (at Melrose Arch) nowadays. Sometimes Hyde Park Auto in Sandton (next to Aston Martin) for minor stuff as they're much closer, particularly if you normally deal with Forsdicks.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:12 AM   #8
ghusheshe
135 Addict
South Africa
Rep

I'll try Lyndhurst Auto next time around. Ive heard good reviews about them.. What is the mileage on your car now GMZA?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 12:08 AM   #9
tmos
South Africa
Rep

ghusheshe: Sorry too hear about your bad luck with the 1er.
I have also read positive reports about Lyndhurst Auto on this forum, so good luck! My dealer, Northcliff Auto is also clueless when it comes to resolving problems. It took me 8 month to convince them that HPFP was defective. On top of that they scraped my rear rim and scratched my fender on two different occasions.
Let me know about your experience at Lyndhurst.
      01-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Eish. I've done ~18,200km now and the new HPFP has - touch wood - been fine. It seems that they are extremely susceptible to fuel quality. After a number of fuel consumption issues (both pre- and post- chaning the HPFP), I started using a different petrol station and try and use the same one every time. This has made a huge difference. It seems it is not so much the brand of fuel as the particular station. There are a number of rogues out there either not maintaining their fuel storage tanks properly or trying to boost their profits by diluting the fuel.
Appreciate 0