BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #23
Ascari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M - 08 X3 MSport 3.0D

Interesting, thanks for sharing; though I wouldn't be putting a can of anything on the hood for photo purposes!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #24
M_BYEEE
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X5M

looks great! Plasti-Dip is blowing up!
      05-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #25
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavush View Post
Nice job, your wheels look nice...

I've Plastidipped my chrome window trim: http://flavionet.ch/Flavionet/Fotos/...PlastiDip.html

How many cans did you use?
You think the wheels will survive a tire change?

I'm thinking to plastidip them too.

PS: Would it not be easier, if you remove the //M logo and put it on after you have plastidip the wheels?

Best regards
Flavush
Hey Flavush, didn't mean to ignore your (excellent) questions. I ended up using three cans on my wheels. Looking back I suggest using one can per wheel - that should get you about 4-5 coats per wheel. The 359 Competition wheels have a lot of angles so they require more spraying to get proper coverage.

I highly doubt the Plast-Dip would survive a tire change. The tire mounting machine would definitely rip off the material on the edge of the wheel. In fact I would recommend removing the Dip from the wheels before taking them to the shop to mount the new tires.

I thought about removing and re-applying the M logo, but decided that I didn't want to risk applying it onto the Plasti-Dip. If the Plasti-Dip ripped and came off, the M logo would go with it.

By the way - your Dipped window trim looks phenomenal! Great job - the finish looks very smooth and uniform.
2011 1M | Valencia Orange | #655 of 740
BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance Shadowline Grills | Gloss black iND side markers
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 02:00 AM   #26
PHANTOM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M, X5d

Do you have any more pictures like one directly from the side? I have a VO too and I cant decide if I should pick up the M3 GTS wheels for it (I dont want to paint the stocks). Are you considering lowering it?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #27
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOM View Post
Do you have any more pictures like one directly from the side? I have a VO too and I cant decide if I should pick up the M3 GTS wheels for it (I dont want to paint the stocks). Are you considering lowering it?
The only side shot I have of the wheels is the one I posted in the thread:

If you want to see what black competition wheels would look like on your VO, just look at Artemis' reply to one of your other threads about black wheels on VO:

I agree in not painting the stock wheels black. It's too permanent a change - better to shell out the money for a new set of black wheels. If the OEM M3 GTS wheels are too pricey for you, you may want to consider buying a knockoff set, such as the Avant Garde M359 (http://avantgardewheels.com/m359.php). I think you can get a set of 19" Avant Garde M359s for $1,050 from **********s or Pyspeed.

I do want to lower my car, but don't feel like shelling out close to $3K for triple-adjustable race coilovers that I will never tinker with anyways. Also, I'm on the fence regarding aftermarket springs because I'm still unsure whether they would cause premature wear on the stock shocks/dampers.
2011 1M | Valencia Orange | #655 of 740
BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance Shadowline Grills | Gloss black iND side markers
Appreciate 0