BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-14-2015, 08:20 AM   #1
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i msport convertible

Full beam not working

Full beam works when the lights are turned off but when the lights are on full beam doesn't work. Weird..

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Full beam?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Full beam?

Yes when dipped beam are on full beam doesn't work, but when dipped beam is off full beam can be used. Can't work it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

OK, Brit terminology.

Do you have HID's or regular halogens?

For the HID's, the dipped beam (low beam here) and the full beam (high beam) are the same bulb. There is just a metal flap in the headlight that lifts and drops to switch between the two. Is it not working like this?
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
OK, Brit terminology.

Do you have HID's or regular halogens?

For the HID's, the dipped beam (low beam here) and the full beam (high beam) are the same bulb. There is just a metal flap in the headlight that lifts and drops to switch between the two. Is it not working like this?
Yea sorry, high beams. Lol

Just got the standard headlight pal.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 03:30 PM   #6
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone got any ideas? Got my dreaded mot tomorrow, I've downloaded the inpa software and set it up via a video in the thread here, I have no idea how to use it at all on my e88. If anyone could help that would be great maybe I just need to reset the high beam in the Frm. As when I got the car it had cheapo eBay lights so changed them to original halogens.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasted View Post
Anyone got any ideas? Got my dreaded mot tomorrow, I've downloaded the inpa software and set it up via a video in the thread here, I have no idea how to use it at all on my e88. If anyone could help that would be great maybe I just need to reset the high beam in the Frm. As when I got the car it had cheapo eBay lights so changed them to original halogens.
So it had ebay headlight housings and you've replaced them with stock housings?

Possible that the previous owner had to play with some of the coding settings to get the ebay ones to work. You may need to use NCSExpert to default the settings. You need to code the FRM module in expertmode which will reset all the settings back to default. Will need to follow some coding tutorials if its your first time.
      11-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Have you tried checking the fuse(s) ? They are behind the glove box on LHD cars. Not sure about your RHD models. ?

The headlights(highbeams) will only come on when the engine is running. IF you flick the highbeams stalk when the engine is off, the low beams will come on for a "pre-set" amount of time. You can change this setting in the iDrive or BC menu's.

Name:  fuse-card-1.jpg
Views: 12110
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  fuse-card-2.jpg
Views: 11314
Size:  107.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #9
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
So it had ebay headlight housings and you've replaced them with stock housings?

Possible that the previous owner had to play with some of the coding settings to get the ebay ones to work. You may need to use NCSExpert to default the settings. You need to code the FRM module in expertmode which will reset all the settings back to default. Will need to follow some coding tutorials if its your first time.

It had cheap headlights bought from eBay, with daytime running lights. The high beam never worked on those either that's why I changed back to the originals from the seller of the car.

Yea it's my first time ever coding, I've got numerous desktop items since installing and following the tutorial video in e90 section.

I also don't know which chassis to use for my e88 type of 1 series.

Complete noob when it comes to coding or anything till I've used a few times.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #10
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Have you tried checking the fuse(s) ? They are behind the glove box on LHD cars. Not sure about your RHD models. ?

The headlights(highbeams) will only come on when the engine is running. IF you flick the highbeams stalk when the engine is off, the low beams will come on for a "pre-set" amount of time. You can change this setting in the iDrive or BC menu's.

Attachment 1324444

Attachment 1324445
Thanks buddy, afraid I have checked all fuses and connections. I'm sure it's cause previous owner changed the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #11
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It had cheap headlights bought from eBay, with daytime running lights. The high beam never worked on those either that's why I changed back to the originals from the seller of the car.

Yea it's my first time ever coding, I've got numerous desktop items since installing and following the tutorial video in e90 section.

I also don't know which chassis to use for my e88 type of 1 series.

Complete noob when it comes to coding or anything till I've used a few times.
For all 1 series/3 series you select e89 (bmw z4) chassis for coding. This software is probably the most user unfriendly stuff I have ever encountered, and thats coming from someone who works in embedded development!

But having said that, getting it all installed is much harder than using the software so at least you've made it past the biggest hurdle in my opinon

Whats the last 7 digits of your VIN? If you have a 135i I thought they all came with HIDs?? Can look up your options list with your VIN. Although your front bumper doesn't have headlight washers. I am thinking your car might have had HIDs stock and adding halogens would cause some weird behaviour
      11-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #12
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
For all 1 series/3 series you select e89 (bmw z4) chassis for coding. This software is probably the most user unfriendly stuff I have ever encountered, and thats coming from someone who works in embedded development!

But having said that, getting it all installed is much harder than using the software so at least you've made it past the biggest hurdle in my opinon

Whats the last 7 digits of your VIN? If you have a 135i I thought they all came with HIDs?? Can look up your options list with your VIN. Although your front bumper doesn't have headlight washers. I am thinking your car might have had HIDs stock and adding halogens would cause some weird behaviour
Yes wasn't sure as I have a few icons now on the desktop, INPA, Ncs expert tool, Tool32, and winkfp, do they all do different things? or do I just stick to one?

Last 7 digits of he vin are vg75612 mate. Although the the front bumper has been changed as previous owner drove into a parking post. So it may well have had headlight washers or something.

Just hope I can get some coding done and things working until I can afford some depo headlights.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #13
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yes wasn't sure as I have a few icons now on the desktop, INPA, Ncs expert tool, Tool32, and winkfp, do they all do different things? or do I just stick to one?

Last 7 digits of he vin are vg75612 mate. Although the the front bumper has been changed as previous owner drove into a parking post. So it may well have had headlight washers or something.

Just hope I can get some coding done and things working until I can afford some depo headlights.
Yeah just ran your vin through a decoder. Your car came with XENON lights I have attached the document with a list of your options.

Looks like the previous owner just repaired it cheaply. Your car is coded for xenon lights but you have halogens installed. The high beam on a xenon is a flap and not a separate bulb. Unfortunately xenon lights are quite expensive, like $800 per side! I would not buy depo headlights as they are inferior to the factory xenon and you would still need to figure out the coding.

You can change the vehicle order (basically a list of options stored on your car) to halogens if you cannot afford to buy new headlights right now.

INPA - Diagnostics and test
NCSExpert - Coding
Winkfp - Firmware flashing
Tool32 - Low level diagnostics, test and commands

You will need to do this in NCSExpert. Do a search on 'how to change VO' for instructions on how to change your vehicle order. You need to delete option $522 (for xenon lights) and replace them with the code for halogens. Recode your FRM module in expertmode and you will have successfully downgraded your lights to halogen.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf bimmer.pdf (127.1 KB, 548 views)
      11-27-2015, 12:40 AM   #14
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Wow, can't believe the previous owner replaced the factory xenons with cheaper eBay lamps. And be aware OP that he must also have replaced the bumper cover with the wrong version (probably found it cheaper) and that you MAY have headlamp washer plumbing tied back underneath the new cover. At least, my uunderstanding is that the headlamp cleaning system is required on cars with xenons in Europe, so must e been fitted if in fact the car came with xenons originally.
      11-27-2015, 01:35 AM   #15
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I can totally believe it lol

Plenty of people do dodgy stuff to get a car ready for sale when they just want to offload it. Over here in Australia you need to pass an inspection when you transfer your registration to another person. So you get dodgy stuff like cheapo chinese tyres (mismatched on all 4 corners of course)

Ebay halogen headlights cost a fraction of a factory xenon setup so its a massive cost saving on a car you're just trying to offload.

Might find you get a puddle of water every time you activate the sprayers
      11-27-2015, 01:59 AM   #16
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Wow, can't believe the previous owner replaced the factory xenons with cheaper eBay lamps. And be aware OP that he must also have replaced the bumper cover with the wrong version (probably found it cheaper) and that you MAY have headlamp washer plumbing tied back underneath the new cover. At least, my uunderstanding is that the headlamp cleaning system is required on cars with xenons in Europe, so must e been fitted if in fact the car came with xenons originally.
Unbelievable man. I knew it was my lights and not a dodgy Frm. I nearly paid and replaced my Frm too!!
Also do have leaks when I fill the washer fluid.
Got some coding and saving to do for new headlights for now then!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 02:01 AM   #17
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I can totally believe it lol

Plenty of people do dodgy stuff to get a car ready for sale when they just want to offload it. Over here in Australia you need to pass an inspection when you transfer your registration to another person. So you get dodgy stuff like cheapo chinese tyres (mismatched on all 4 corners of course)

Ebay halogen headlights cost a fraction of a factory xenon setup so its a massive cost saving on a car you're just trying to offload.

Might find you get a puddle of water every time you activate the sprayers

Thanks ever so much for your help mate, only thing is in inpa it doesn't have e89 option that they use for the e88, and did it say if I should have front parking sensors too? seems a lot is missing now. I'm going to try and code it today hopefully!!! What a nightmare, "thanks to previous owner not doing things properly"

Last edited by Beasted; 11-27-2015 at 02:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 02:39 AM   #18
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks ever so much for your help mate, only thing is in inpa it doesn't have e89 option that they use for the e88, and did it say if I should have front parking sensors too? seems a lot is missing now. I'm going to try and code it today hopefully!!! What a nightmare, "thanks to previous owner not doing things properly"
No worries mate, glad to help after seeing someone get shafted after a sale. I had a similar experience after the roadworthiness tester rounded out the security wheelnut after I bought my car

Ok to clarify, you select E88 in INPA (attached screenshot) to do diagnostics. Wont be able to do any coding in INPA though, thats what NCSExpert is for. If you don't see the option then you have not installed it correctly.

In NCSExpert, you select e89 when coding. codinge90.com has a bunch of user friendly tutorials you can follow regarding coding.

Until you source a new bumper you can also disable the sprayers in NCSExpert

Your cars got park sensors on the rear at least, not sure about the front. Do you have the button on the centre console underneath the radio for front parking sensors?
Attached Images

11-27-2015, 04:31 AM   #19
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No worries mate, glad to help after seeing someone get shafted after a sale. I had a similar experience after the roadworthiness tester rounded out the security wheelnut after I bought my car

Ok to clarify, you select E88 in INPA (attached screenshot) to do diagnostics. Wont be able to do any coding in INPA though, thats what NCSExpert is for. If you don't see the option then you have not installed it correctly.

In NCSExpert, you select e89 when coding. codinge90.com has a bunch of user friendly tutorials you can follow regarding coding.

Until you source a new bumper you can also disable the sprayers in NCSExpert

Your cars got park sensors on the rear at least, not sure about the front. Do you have the button on the centre console underneath the radio for front parking sensors?
Agh got ya mate, so e88 comes under e87 in INPA. Cool.

Ncsexpert use e89, got ya!!

Yea my car is going in on 4th January for the full 1m kit and bonnet and respray so I can fix the headlight washers then.

I haven't seen any buttons for the front sensors in the cabin. So assume I didn't have those anyway.

Many thanks for all this mate.

Will sit in the car after work today and figure out how to code to the halogens just until I get the xenons. Can get a second hand set on eBay for £300- so I'll have to save for now as all the money is being pumped into the 1m conversion kit and spray.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #20
Beasted
Private First Class
Rep

Ok so I've tried to accsess ncs expert tool, and it says choose ecu and vin/zcs/fa what do I do?

Also when I connect the lead from ecu to usb into my laptop and enter into inpa I don't think it's connecting I get error i300, error opening file. Can't load file.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 02:05 AM   #21
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Ok so I've tried to accsess ncs expert tool, and it says choose ecu and vin/zcs/fa what do I do?

Also when I connect the lead from ecu to usb into my laptop and enter into inpa I don't think it's connecting I get error i300, error opening file. Can't load file.
Youll have to follow a coding tutorial, go to codinge90.com and learn how to do basic coding before jumping into fixing your lights.

For example code your instrument cluster to show digital speed. That will get your familiar with how to use NCSExpert

This is the relevant tutorial for VO coding
http://codinge90.com/ncs-expert-how-...vehicle-order/

That error in INPA i am not familiar with, when you first start up INPA do you get battery and igntion circles in black? Sounds like INPA might not be fully setup correctly maybe
      11-28-2015, 04:12 AM   #22
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

OP just a note the wiring for halogen and xenon cars is slightly different so even after you recode your car for halogen headlights, your high beams might not work either.

From memory, it is the the high beam and parking lights/day time running lights that have different wiring.

And by different wiring, i mean the wires that run from the output pins of the footwell module to the actual headlight harness are physically different.

Also, in terms of coding, there is no option number for the halogen headlights. All you need to do is completely remove "$522" from the vehicle order, write your new vehicle order to the CAS and FRM module, and recode (use job "SG_CODIEREN") on the FRM module.
Appreciate 0