BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
Badabing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 228xi Vert. Black on Blac

Chrome and Black

What is the consensus on black wheels on a car with chrome window lining (don't know what it's called)? My car is red and I've been wanting black wheels but think it might look odd on a car with extra chrome. Thoughts? Anyone done this?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
You mean a chrome lip, right?

Never been a fan of black wheels... And it's been done to death, IMO.
      06-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
Badabing
Private First Class
Rep

I don't know if that is what it is called. I have crome all around the windows. I'll post a pic when I am on the computer.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
Badabing
Private First Class
Rep

Has anyone used black tape to cover up the chrome? I see that bavauto sells black gloss tape for this purpose. Any thoughts or has anyone done this? How did it turn out?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badabing
Has anyone used black tape to cover up the chrome? I see that bavauto sells black gloss tape for this purpose. Any thoughts or has anyone done this? How did it turn out?
If I remember correctly, getting OEM replacement Shadowline trim from the dealer is relatively cheap and an easy swap out. Would look worlds better than taping up chrome trim
      06-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
mccandless
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I've been looking for the OEM replacement Shadowline to replace my trim as well, but i can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know where i can get it?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
SAM135iAM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i DCT

I would suggest you get gold wheels with a chrome lip to put on your red with chrome trim car. It will be different from what most do and would look spectacular I'm sure. As someone has already mentioned, black wheels on a red car is done quite often. It looks good, but if not done right it would look tacky and played out. If you go with black wheels you should also black out your chrome trim pieces. Just my $0.02.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Badabing
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM135iAM View Post
I would suggest you get gold wheels with a chrome lip to put on your red with chrome trim car. It will be different from what most do and would look spectacular I'm sure. As someone has already mentioned, black wheels on a red car is done quite often. It looks good, but if not done right it would look tacky and played out. If you go with black wheels you should also black out your chrome trim pieces. Just my $0.02.
I appreciate the idea of the gold. I know it is not original, but I've always wanted to do the black on red. I'm thinking i will just eliminate the chrome bit by bit (the trim, the grill, etc). I will call the dealership to see if they will swap the trim.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Badabing
Private First Class
Rep

Talked to the dealership, they said they can do it. $440 to do both sides. Does that seem reasonable?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

So has every other kind of color

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
You mean a chrome lip, right?

Never been a fan of black wheels... And it's been done to death, IMO.
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #11
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah don't tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
If I remember correctly, getting OEM replacement Shadowline trim from the dealer is relatively cheap and an easy swap out. Would look worlds better than taping up chrome trim
My brother did it to his car and after a month it looked bad
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
Badabing
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
My brother did it to his car and after a month it looked bad
Yeah that was my fear. Does anyone know if $440 is a fair price to have the dealership get them and put them on?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #13
exPat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

@ Badabing - You might consider pricing out the entire project before you get started to see if it's something you really want to commit to. Besides the window trim you could also be looking at grilles, badges and exhaust tips. (Plus I think I'm leaving out something.)

I personally kind of like the black wheel look. I think Porsche did it first and those old Carreras still look pretty good to me. Thing is, those wheels are not entirely dark black so you can still see the shape of the wheel and some relief.

Gunmetal/anthracite choices look really good on some cars, and you can do a silver lip to tie in with the bright trim pieces. Might be worth thinking about, either to save some money or to upgrade the wheels you get (instead of 'upgrading' the trim).
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
Badabing
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exPat View Post
@ Badabing - You might consider pricing out the entire project before you get started to see if it's something you really want to commit to. Besides the window trim you could also be looking at grilles, badges and exhaust tips. (Plus I think I'm leaving out something.)

I personally kind of like the black wheel look. I think Porsche did it first and those old Carreras still look pretty good to me. Thing is, those wheels are not entirely dark black so you can still see the shape of the wheel and some relief.

Gunmetal/anthracite choices look really good on some cars, and you can do a silver lip to tie in with the bright trim pieces. Might be worth thinking about, either to save some money or to upgrade the wheels you get (instead of 'upgrading' the trim).
Thanks for the advice! I debadged, so I think its just the trim, grill, and tips, but I could very well be missing something. I'll take a look and see if I can find some red 1s with gunmetal or other colors.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #15
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'd say its fair for an OEM parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badabing View Post
Yeah that was my fear. Does anyone know if $440 is a fair price to have the dealership get them and put them on?
It's always a premium going through the dealer
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
exPat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badabing View Post
Does anyone know if $440 is a fair price to have the dealership get them and put them on?
You can check P/Ns and prices here, and probably find better prices some some of the site sponsors -- but I didn't bother to do the research.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
Badabing
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the link. Looks like the dealer price is lower than that site. Interesting.
Appreciate 0