BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-30-2008, 03:52 AM   #1
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Why did you order black?

For me, I see the 'sag' at the bottom of the door inexcusably ridiculous. Black reduces the breathtaking blunder hugely, also, black helps to eliminate cut-lines. While an enormous pain-in-the-a$$ to maintain, black is a classic color while also just plain masculine. Arrgghh, arrgghh...

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 04:13 AM   #2
ChesterDog
Private
Rep
Drives:

As a counterpoint - some of us like shutlines - properly done, they can help define the shape and styling elements of the car, add some visual interest and stop it from looking too much like large slabs of metal.

Personally, I've never really liked the sag on the sides of the 1-series hatch (been around here for a few years), but now I've got used to it on the coupe, I find this area on other cars to be rather lacking in any kind of design/styling/thought. It takes some getting used to, but helped by the sill/rocker cover lines of the M-sport spec., it no longer looks like a 'sag' - simply a swooping, curving line that makes the car more interesting. Take it away, and I think the sides would look a bit dull and staid.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
For me, I've always associated Black with BMW...i grew up during the time when I think the mentality was, BMWs look best in black, it just stuck with me and the only exception I found to this line of thinking was Estoril Blue on the e36 M3.

Also, its only fitting that I match my e30 since the e82 is the first car BMW's made that actually resembles what BMW used to be.
      03-30-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Why is this in Ordering, Pricing, and Tracking? Should be in general discussion..

I ordered black because I didn't want to go with premium paint. I actually like Jet Black > Sapphire.. In addition, the non-premo red doesn't do it for me. It was a tough call between the JB and the AW though.
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

I believe all dark colors show body lines much more. If you don't like the sag look, you should get Alpine or a light color.

I have black and love it, but not having a garage its TOO much work for me. I always keep my cars VERY clean and detailed, and black makes me crazy. Thats why I will get Alpine white.

I don't understand why people complain about the sag lines on the doors, then love the Z4 which has even more sag lines. I personally don't care much for the body on the Z4. IMO.

If I were RICH ( which I am NOT) I would purchase black.
When I purchased my Civic Si I wanted Artic white or Fiji Blue, but the dealers that had them wanted $1300 more then the dealer by me that had the black one. I wouldn't pay $1300 more, so I ended up with black. My last 3 cars before the Civic Si were Alabaster Silver which were very easy to keep clean. But I am tired of silver, so Alpine is my choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I don't know why people don't like the "sag." It's very feline. It is also a good counterpoint to the upright, classic lines.

I got sapphire black because I wanted a color that would look good with coral red leather. Then it turned out that I really like the black. It's classic, all business, with a touch of menace. I considered graphite, but those cars can be a bit hard to see sometimes and I don't want someone not seeing me and then pulling out in front of me when I'm going really fast.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
ramair311
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

I ordered Jet Black because it is the same as the Brilliant Black Audi S4 I just parted with. That car was one of my favorite cars that I've owned so far (other than my 79 Jeep CJ5 with a 450HP 360 engine- but that was in high school and for entirely different reasons). There's something about the deepness of a black car that has been waxed to a glass-like smoothness that no other color can approach - to me at least. But then it rains and you have to start over again
Appreciate 0