BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-12-2011, 03:12 AM   #23
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Sounds good. Would the heavier oil affect day to day performance?
Should only be 1-2% I think compare to the 40 weight oils. IIRC the motull 15-50 is still a lot lighter than the TWS, but supposingly give better protection.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 03:48 AM   #24
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Should only be 1-2% I think compare to the 40 weight oils. IIRC the motull 15-50 is still a lot lighter than the TWS, but supposingly give better protection.
Is that what you're hoping to run Sparoz?
      11-12-2011, 03:51 AM   #25
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Are you guys saying "weight" in reference to the Winter rating?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 03:52 AM   #26
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I am thinking of 5W-30 . If I need to rebuild the engine - that just mean an opportunity to improve it - that could be sometime away though. .
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 03:55 AM   #27
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
Are you guys saying "weight" in reference to the Winter rating?
No, just the normal rating. I think redline claims 1-2% increase in power as you go down each grade. I therefore make a conservative claim of 1-2% from 10-60 to 10-40. .
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #28
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

I was thinking Castrol 5W30 as well and doing 5000 kms services. I already bought 5 oil filters - have a hoist and mechanic at work so should be good.

Having thoughts about TWS as well now! This stuff is pretty confusing!
      11-13-2011, 02:17 AM   #29
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking Castrol 5W30 as well and doing 5000 kms services. I already bought 5 oil filters - have a hoist and mechanic at work so should be good.

Having thoughts about TWS as well now! This stuff is pretty confusing!
After everything I look at - my conclusion is you need to pick the oil for your application. .

For me, I want every ounce of kw while the engine is still not warmed up. So a lighter oil would be fine for me. I will be comparing the oil analysis to make sure my engine is not going to suffer using the lightest oil with my driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 02:22 AM   #30
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Just also checked the Motul 300V 15W50 specs and it is about halfway between the Castrol 5W30 and the TWS - may be a good one considering you are up in the territory.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 06:40 AM   #31
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
After everything I look at - my conclusion is you need to pick the oil for your application. .

For me, I want every ounce of kw while the engine is still not warmed up. So a lighter oil would be fine for me. I will be comparing the oil analysis to make sure my engine is not going to suffer using the lightest oil with my driving.
I agree. I've been really wanting to do some research into this but my calender has been nothing short of crazy lately.
      11-13-2011, 06:41 AM   #32
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Just also checked the Motul 300V 15W50 specs and it is about halfway between the Castrol 5W30 and the TWS - may be a good one considering you are up in the territory.
I will look into this. So you think - from the recent exhaustive research I know you've doing - this is the best way for me? I want a good combo of performance/protection with quick warm up.
      11-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #33
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I will look into this. So you think - from the recent exhaustive research I know you've doing - this is the best way for me? I want a good combo of performance/protection with quick warm up.
How long is your track day? I have the philosophy on use the lightest oil that gives you the protection on how hard you drive. I really don't think thicker oil is better. It is only better if you have sustained high temps on the components which might prematurely break down the oil.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #34
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Track day is 4 sessions of 5 laps - 20-30 mins a round I think. Nothing too strenuous and the car barely breaks a sweat - not that I push too hard. Temps hit 130 or so max. The GT3 will probably swap sessions too.

I got in touch with the Motul rep - 300V 10W40 is what he recommends. Approximately $1600 for a 60L drum. I decided I'll get enough for one oil change and give it a try, if it's good then great, otherwise back to Mobil1!
      11-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #35
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Track day is 4 sessions of 5 laps - 20-30 mins a round I think. Nothing too strenuous and the car barely breaks a sweat - not that I push too hard. Temps hit 130 or so max. The GT3 will probably swap sessions too.

I got in touch with the Motul rep - 300V 10W40 is what he recommends. Approximately $1600 for a 60L drum. I decided I'll get enough for one oil change and give it a try, if it's good then great, otherwise back to Mobil1!

I used Mobil-1 0w40 european blend LL-1 (USA)oil in my 135i for a while. Then I switched to German made Castrol RS Edge 0w40 LL-4 oil. I was really surprised how much quieter my engine was on cold starts with the Castrol oil. A lot less metalic on cold starts and even when warmed up. Also... my engine oil temps were about two needle widths lower with the Castrol. I really think there is a reason why BMW says to use Castrol - I am sold on it. Like Castrol says "Liquid Engineering". Other 1addicts have also reported the same observations.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #36
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:

60L!!! Are you planning on using it on all your work stuff too for the overkill? .10W40 got the highest flash point amongst the 5W30 and 5W-40 as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #37
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
60L!!! Are you planning on using it on all your work stuff too for the overkill? .10W40 got the highest flash point amongst the 5W30 and 5W-40 as well.
60L is not as much as it seems. It's less than 10 changes and when you factor in the extra oil changes after track days and if you do say 20-30k a year, it doesn't last that long!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #38
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I used Mobil-1 0w40 european blend LL-1 (USA)oil in my 135i for a while. Then I switched to German made Castrol RS Edge 0w40 LL-4 oil. I was really surprised how much quieter my engine was on cold starts with the Castrol oil. A lot less metalic on cold starts and even when warmed up. Also... my engine oil temps were about two needle widths lower with the Castrol. I really think there is a reason why BMW says to use Castrol - I am sold on it. Like Castrol says "Liquid Engineering". Other 1addicts have also reported the same observations.
Dackel, thanks for input. I'm still a little confused by this oil thing. From what I gather though, German Castrol and Australia (Malaysian Made?) Castrol are completely different products. The Castrol Rep here didn't even know RS Edge. They have Edge Sport (now called Edge Professional).

There seems to be a lot speculation on the subject of oils and not much empirical evidence. I think I'm going to try a few of the highly regarded oils and look at the results. Since we'll be doing the changes ourselves I'll be able to look at the oil and maybe ask our fuel & lubricant providers to conduct some analysis. Problem is all this takes time - something unfortunately don't have much of at the moment!
      11-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #39
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Haha - see below. Running 300V on our company trucks might blow out are op-x a bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
60L is not as much as it seems. It's less than 10 changes and when you factor in the extra oil changes after track days and if you do say 20-30k a year, it doesn't last that long!
Pretty much how I feel. As I said above though, I'll try out a few oils first and see how I go.
      11-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #40
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

honestly I dont see the oil making THAT much of a difference, but the LL01 is what BMW recommends in Australia based on our fuel supply, so thats what I'm using.

I do see a big benefit in changing it every 5-10 K's compared to BMW's 25-30 K's
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 06:49 AM   #41
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Dackel, thanks for input. I'm still a little confused by this oil thing. From what I gather though, German Castrol and Australia (Malaysian Made?) Castrol are completely different products. The Castrol Rep here didn't even know RS Edge. They have Edge Sport (now called Edge Professional).

There seems to be a lot speculation on the subject of oils and not much empirical evidence. I think I'm going to try a few of the highly regarded oils and look at the results. Since we'll be doing the changes ourselves I'll be able to look at the oil and maybe ask our fuel & lubricant providers to conduct some analysis. Problem is all this takes time - something unfortunately don't have much of at the moment!

Yea... even Castrol has a lot of different and simular named products. Just make sure what ever oil you use... it carried the "BMW LL-1" or "LL-4" rating. Castrol does not have many products that meet that spec.

Castrol recently came out with a new oil that replaces the RS edge. Castrol Edge FST (fluid strength tech). But this oil is only a BMW LL-1. It would work(be ok) for you but not for me.

Here is what the Castrol RS Edge 0w40 LL-4 oil that I use looks like...

Name:  CastrolEdgeRS0w40oel.png
Views: 1154
Size:  400.3 KB

Name:  castroledgers oilimage224.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  14.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #42
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Castrol just released their new Titanium 0W 40 and it's LL-01 Approved. It's supposed to be the S%*T and at $100 for 5L it better be. I'm due for a change so I may just have to go and get a loan from the bank to get me some.

Check out the video.

http://castroledge.com.au/1940
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #43
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yea... even Castrol has a lot of different and simular named products. Just make sure what ever oil you use... it carried the "BMW LL-1" or "LL-4" rating. Castrol does not have many products that meet that spec.

Castrol recently came out with a new oil that replaces the RS edge. Castrol Edge FST (fluid strength tech). But this oil is only a BMW LL-1. It would work(be ok) for you but not for me.

Here is what the Castrol RS Edge 0w40 LL-4 oil that I use looks like...
Hi Dackel,

Just to clarify for Australian BMW owners.

LL-04 is not for Australian or NZ use.Our approval is LL-01 and nothing else. I even purchased Castrol Edge Sport 0w-40 last year which had LL-04 rating, however had written on the back "Not for use in BMW petrol engines in Australia or NZ"

Please ensure that your oil is LL-01 approved as it is the only relevant approval for Australian use and LL-04 is the incorrect oil if it doesn't have LL-01 approval as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 02:05 AM   #44
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Hi Dackel,

Just to clarify for Australian BMW owners.

LL-04 is not for Australian or NZ use.Our approval is LL-01 and nothing else. I even purchased Castrol Edge Sport 0w-40 last year which had LL-04 rating, however had written on the back "Not for use in BMW petrol engines in Australia or NZ"

Please ensure that your oil is LL-01 approved as it is the only relevant approval for Australian use and LL-04 is the incorrect oil if it doesn't have LL-01 approval as well.

I agree technically. I remember your post about the above. IF it says it right on the bottle... yes, don't use that oil where a LL-1 is spec'd!

I think part of the problem might be that LL-4 oil is also, in most cases special oil for Diesels engines. But LL-4 is also used in gas engines here in Europe. Perhaps it is best to ask an oil engineer from Castrol os from what ever oil you are using in your car.

IF you use the BMW factory oil, in the BMW bottle... I think you can say you are using the correct oil.

I understand that an LL-4 oil can be used where LL-1 is spec'd. It is backward compatible. But you can not use a LL-1 oil where LL-4 is spec'd. At least that is what I have read on the OelDepot24 website for BMW factory oils. But I have only read that on the OelDepot's website. Here is the link...

http://www.oeldepot24.de/catalog/pro...products_id=60

Spezifikationen / Freigaben:
  • ACEA A3 / B3 / C3
  • BMW Longlife04 (rückwärtskompatibel BMW LL01)
Ob dieses Öl auch für Ihr Fahrzeug geeignet ist, entnehmen Sie bitte Ihrem Serviceheft / Betriebsanleitung.
Appreciate 0