BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
kgaler
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Mid Lifts

Anybody using a mid lift that they like? I've been thinking that this may a nice thing to have in the garage.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At.../atpk-lr06.htm
      08-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

i haven't used that specific one, but everytime i work on a car on one of those, i find myself yearning for a full overhead lift. you should be able to find a used one from a closing shop for around the same money. this assumes you have the room for it...

sorry for not entirely speaking to your question...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Yeah most times we want to lift the car its to work under the car and the mid lift has zero room to work under the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
VividRacingSale
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 Coupe

We had one of these at school, and I hated it. It was worthless for anything but tire changes and brake jobs in my opinion. Also, they scare me. A lot. For some reason I'm really paranoid about it coming down on me and amputating a limb. Like I said, paranoid...

I always tried to get one of the 2 post lifts or at least the alignment rack
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

I use a mid-rise one (you pictured a low-rise) and find it extremely useful. I do oil changes, brake bleeds, alignment changes, suspension swaps, pad swaps, sway bar installs, etc. on them. How much do people do that is at the center of these cars? Exhaust? With the cutouts most of them have now, you can get to much of that too. But for all the "maintenance" stuff that I do constantly, a mid-rise works perfectly for me, so perhaps it depends on your needs...

If space/cost is a premium, these are cheaper and easier than two-posts. My garage is very narrow, and I cannot dig holes for a two-point, so I'd gladly take a mid-rise of my own (the one I use is a pal's Snap-On). Patrol Craig's list and you can eventually find one for between 500 and 1000 that may be nearby. The biggest problem you'll have is driving over top of them, especially if you are lowered. Search and you'll find forums where people setup some real fancy ramps in their garages to aid in this. Also, they are extremely heavy - don't envision moving it around wherever you want - set it and forget it.

My .02. YMMV.
Appreciate 0