BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
Syndr78
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: about to be faster

Collective Mod and Warranty/Service Denials

Still new to the forum here, and may very soon be a 135i owner. I thought it may be helpful to have a thread wherein people can describe mods that they have done--and any warranty/service encounters, both good and bad, that they have had.

I have heard/read the BMW can sometimes take a "snobbish" and zero tolerance approach to any mods (as compared to some other auto makers). It would be helpful to hear what mods people have--and how their respective service departments have reacted.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Syndr78
Enlisted Member
Rep

Really? I thought it would be helpful for to have a thread where folks could share their experiences, both good and bad, with dealership/service dept. reactions to various mods.

No?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 01:59 AM   #3
anttmann
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' CQM M3

i recently had to take my car in for service/warranty for the famed ''wastegate rattle'' and my SA was aware of all my mods .... full exhaust,downpipes,intake,catch-can,bov,jb4

they gave me no problems whatsoever and i got my car back 2-weeks later with a brand new turbo

.... and no rattle BTW
6MT

Antoine Spignardo
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
Syndr78
Enlisted Member
Rep

WOW. Evidently you've been a loyal customer of this dealership for some time?

These are the types of experiences it would be interesting to discuss here, as I'm sure some folks with far less mods have had more friction about them--especially given the tune and the wastegate/turbo issue. That seems like a "good one" for the dealership to deny.

BTW--from the sounds of it, you probably could have gotten them to replace both with the RB upgraded turbos!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

Its different with the dealerships you go to.

I know here in Germany, i have a very different exhaust and even a boost gauge. I have more mods but they seem to ignore them. Once my SA was in my car backing it up and stopped next to me and pointed out my digi boost gauge. He asked me if it was by BMW and i smiled and said no. He looked at me and grinned and continued to back the car up. lol..
Also, the place i take my car to is a bunch of kid mechanics. they love the mods and my car. Enough to joy ride it, which pisses me off.

I heard that BMW gets money from fixing your car. So the less busy the dealership the better because they will change your broken parts w/ no question asked about mods..
The more busy the dealership, the more you will get turned away for mods.

Thats my knowledge on that.
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

i think it depends your dealership.

For mine, as long as your mods don't cause the problems, you are fine, especially for bolt ons.
      08-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

It varies from dealership to dealership. It would be helpful if people posted which dealership they go to. I go to Prestige BMW in NJ, and they are a Dinan installation and warranty dealership, so I think it helps lighten their stance on mods.

It also depends on your particular service adviser. Mine is awesome. My mod list, according to them, is a catback exhaust, H8 bulbs, suspension, intake, and several cosmetic bits which have no effect on warranty.

Only the H8 bulbs have caused trouble so far, and that was with headlight condensation. I knowingly left the cap off, and it rained overnight. Took it into them and they charged me almost a hundred bucks to blow hot air into my headlight and the problem wasn't fixed. I used a blowdrier on a hot day, some silica gel packets, and some good old fashioned sunshine and fixed it myself. Then I got into an accident and got both headlights replaced anyway

They have to prove your mod caused the problem. You don't have to prove that it didn't. With stuff like intakes and catback exhausts, this isn't a problem. With things like chips/flashes/tunes and lighting mods, it's a pain in the ass.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

every case is diffrent.. for bacsic mods (JB4, DCI) i would take them out before i service the car at the dealer..

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
timwin
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW(daily)/Infiniti(Weekend)

A friend of mine had full exhaust system, KW suspension, intake, ETC. Never had an issue with maintenance and warrenty items.

From what I hear just as long as the after market part installed did not cause the problem. I.E. you put an exhaust on and your radio craps out so it would be coverd. Now you put an amplifer in your car and it shorted the Radio. They would have to prove that the amplifer indeed cause the short and if it did than they wont cover it but if they can prove it they will have to put one in for you.

Best thing is always to build a relationship with the service advisor and take care of them and they will return the favor. ( I had a transmission replace twice once in warranty and once out)
Appreciate 0