BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
wadny
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, M-Sport, 6MT

135i Cooling Problems

I have a 135i coupe that is now around a month old (took delivery at the Performance Center on April 19th) with around 1300 miles. Last Sunday it overheated - first got the yellow overtemp indicator, then the red overheat indicator. Stopped the car, opened the hood and let it idle for a minute or two, and it went back to yellow overtemp. Long story short, I got it to the dealer and they ordered a replacement coolant pump, shipped from Germany. They replaced the pump on Thursday, and it didn't fix the problem. They are now going to replace the radiator, which apparently has a control valve built-in that may be causing the problem. Has anyone heard of a similar problem? It sounds like the service tech has been consulting with factory support, making numerous measurements and trying to diagnose the source of the problem. At least they gave me a nice 335i loaner for the duration. Comments and thoughts appreciated.

Larry
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
wadny
Private
Rep

Radiator was replaced, and did not fix the problem. They are now going to replace the thermostat, which has to be ordered from Germany. Has anyone else had any cooling system issues?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
Black Sheep
A Zip an a Double Cup
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

No problems yet...

PTF Tuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

well i just posted a similar issue... i will see if i get another limp mode during normal driving. I recently got in an accident and a bunch of front end parts were replaced, I'm guessing that has something to do w/ it... Cars are never the same i guess once you smash em up I'll keep you updated.
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

The only time ive ever overheated was on a 90 degree day while autoxing. And that was caused by heat soak.

Keep us updated.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

I live in SFL it never overheated on me "Knock on Wood". MY2010 Jan Production/ Feb delivery..

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Did your oil temp ever go above 250? During break-in, it is important to keep an eye on fluids and temps. Did you ever check the radiator fluid level before this happened? Any leaks onto drive way? Any white or blue smoke out the exhaust, or even water drops that never stop?

Every morning and evening, you should check the radiator level and for leaks. If the level decreases every time you check, you probably have a blown head? Or, if fluid comes out of your reservoir after opening? Do this only if it's cooled off.

Ask for a radiator pressure and engine compression test to verify no leaks?

If so, demand a new engine, or even a new car.

Last edited by JB135MDCT; 06-10-2010 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
wadny
Private
Rep

Oil temp never went above mid-scale on the gauge. No coolant leaks or smoke. When it overheated the first time, I popped the hood and noticed that there was no blast of hot air from the engine, and no smell of coolant, so I'm not completely convinced that it really overheated. It could be a sensor issue; if the ECU thinks the engine is overheating based on sensor input, it will indicate the fault and put it in limp mode. Garbage in, garbage out. But I'm not trying to diagnose the problem at this point - I'll let the dealer service guys do their thing. They've been on the phone with factory tech support since the beginning, and have been following the factory recommendations, so I can't fault the dealer service tech. It's just get frustrating, because I MISS MY CAR, and I want it back! I absolutely hate the automatic transmission in the 335i, and they don't have any loaners with manuals.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep

Excellent feedback. It would be even better if the sensors were working properly and shut the car down before any major damage occurs. Either case, sounds like not so bad news except for the slush action, assume you have 6MT.

Would be nice if you felt the hoses for heat gradients and pressure.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
wadny
Private
Rep

Well, the thermostat showed up yesterday afternoon, and it was installed, and it looks like it fixed the problem! The shop manager drove the car home last night to put some time & miles on it to be sure it was behaving (it was), and I just picked up the car from the dealer a couple of hours ago. Finally back in my own car, and it seems to be working fine.

As an interesting aside, the dealer has offered to cover a month's car payment because of the time it spent in the shop. I thought that was pretty generous - I've never heard of anyone getting an offer like this before. As I said, I really can't fault the dealer (Towne BMW of Buffalo, NY, by the way); they've always treated me well.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #11
Itanius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadny View Post
Well, the thermostat showed up yesterday afternoon, and it was installed, and it looks like it fixed the problem! The shop manager drove the car home last night to put some time & miles on it to be sure it was behaving (it was), and I just picked up the car from the dealer a couple of hours ago. Finally back in my own car, and it seems to be working fine.

As an interesting aside, the dealer has offered to cover a month's car payment because of the time it spent in the shop. I thought that was pretty generous - I've never heard of anyone getting an offer like this before. As I said, I really can't fault the dealer (Towne BMW of Buffalo, NY, by the way); they've always treated me well.
That's the sign of an extraordinary dealership. I'm glad to hear they took care of you, and wish there were more dealerships with that mindset.
      06-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadny View Post

Awesome. I would keep an I on the coolant level every day. Do not assume there is no other damage. Go Sabres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itanius View Post
That's the sign of an extraordinary dealership. I'm glad to hear they took care of you, and wish there were more dealerships with that mindset.
Well Let me tell you a little story between Rochester and Buffalo. One is so bad that people go to the other. Guess which way they drive?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 06:59 AM   #13
bliskey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Barbera Red 335xi

Did the thermostat fix the problem for good then? I don't want to assume it did by the lack of continued posts... I had this happen on my 335 twice. Both times no excess heat, no smell, coolant level is fine, no smoke coming out the tailpipes, no steam of any kind, oil temp normal, and when I start the car back up after 30 seconds or so it runs fine. Checked flow of the water pump, checked for leaks, and temp on either side of the thermostat but everything seemed normal.

As an interesting aside.. both times it happened were after the same 3, 90 degree turns on the same off ramp while driving quickly (not on the throttle much, residual speed from getting off the highway.)
Appreciate 0