BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

rear squeak...

The noise is definitely coming from the interior, sounds like the passenger side of the rear seat. I even detached and reseated the bottom part of the rear seats hoping it would go away. This squeak along with the pop sound coming from the glovebox area are maddening!

The glovebox sound seems to be common. as I am not the only one with it, but does anyone have a very annoying squeak when going over a bump or such from the rear seats? I even wd40ed the joints and the noise is still there. Any help please!!
      09-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

it is under warranty
let your dealer deal with it
      09-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

The hope is to avoid the dealer... ripping out mods is no fun....
      09-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

yes, but if you are having sounds from the glovebox, the whole glovebox assembly might have to be replaced. what mods do you have on your car?
      12-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
sysfailur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
The noise is definitely coming from the interior, sounds like the passenger side of the rear seat.

... does anyone have a very annoying squeak when going over a bump or such from the rear seats?
I think I have the same squeak issue as you. It was pretty benign until it started getting colder out. Now it is just downright irritating. I'm probably going to call the dealer and schedule an appointment for them to fix the issue just after Christmas. I'll let you know what I find out.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 02:14 AM   #6
taichi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 & F25

Garage List
I got the rear noise too...seems like less frequent after a 30mins drive..is definately from the back, I hear it more from the passenger side rear..my friend told me he hear it from the driver side rear too, I'm not too sure...
I'm debating should I bring it back to the dealer because I'm worried it might be my shocks...I have my tech looked at it and he say that's the sound from my shocks and it's normal because is harder than stock...
I'm worried if it is really my shocks, the dealer will charge me for diag..
      01-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
I have the same noise!

I have this noise (and another) as well...There is a post for rattles where someone posted it is coming from between the leather piece next to the seat and the plastic on the side. The fix was to put a piece of felt between the two the entire length. I am going to try it as soon as I can get the felt. Mine is typically more of a clicking "plastic-y" sound, but does squeak too.

Like you all described: its worse in the cold, and goes away some after I'm driving. I notice it most in the morning, and it drives me nuts. Even if I turn up the stereo all I can hear is this rattle.

I think the dealer would likely not be able to replicate it, and just be a big hassle to get nothing accomplished.

Tim
      01-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
taichi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 & F25

Garage List
I did a test drive with a tech from the BMW service department yesterday and he confirmed the noise is from the interior most likely from the rear windshield area where the folding seats connect.

We arranged an appointment for Jan 14 and they will look into it.
      08-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
bmwsqueak
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D SE 08

Squeak in rear passenger side

I can also confirm after months of searching around and taking it to the dealer that my "only when its cold" rear interior squeak is being caused by the leather of the bolster rubbing on the interioir plastic wheel arch section under the passenger rear seat.

I have spoken to BMW dealer on my last visit and persuaded them to give me a roll of they're "Special" felt, yet to apply it as im waiting for the cold to kick in again so i can isolate it. If you pull back the seat from the wheel arch area you should already have some felt there. In my case it has been pushed off the edge of the arch by the install of the seat/vibration during use.

Headache to find, but hopefully easy to fix in a jif.
Appreciate 1