BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #23
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I had mine replaced last week. Obviously no issues so far. It's just seals anyway...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #24
james33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lotus Evora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
Y'know, my tail lights have never given me any problems. Took it in for a free qt of oil (was low), and they wanted to keep it and do the tail lights. I thought well, if there's a recall I might as well...

...but now I'm scared, "If it's not broken, don't fix it" comes to mind.

Now, I'm just worried that the replacement parts will fail.
Relax man - it's just tail lights. Plus, the part numbers are new - as in new and improved. I'd be more worried about your HPFP. Get them replaced and drive your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #25
bakuretsu
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2009 128i Coupe

Has anyone else besides the OP had problems with their third brake light? Less than a year after purchase mine snapped in half and half of it fell out somewhere on the road (who knows).

My guy at the dealership said that he thought it was odd that they had the part in stock, because they have to order at least three before they'll stock it. He got BMW to replace the part under warranty and all was well.

Now THAT one, which I've had in there for only a few months, is covered in cracks again, and the right tip of it is only hanging on by the gasket.

What gives! This is the worst manufactured part ever!

I'm putting a call in to my dealership today to see what they have to say about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #26
james33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lotus Evora

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakuretsu View Post
Has anyone else besides the OP had problems with their third brake light? Less than a year after purchase mine snapped in half and half of it fell out somewhere on the road (who knows).

My guy at the dealership said that he thought it was odd that they had the part in stock, because they have to order at least three before they'll stock it. He got BMW to replace the part under warranty and all was well.

Now THAT one, which I've had in there for only a few months, is covered in cracks again, and the right tip of it is only hanging on by the gasket.

What gives! This is the worst manufactured part ever!

I'm putting a call in to my dealership today to see what they have to say about it.

There is a TSB out on it as well. The replacement or fix requires more than just a new part - the service technician needs to read the bulletin.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 12:29 AM   #27
Ajumepke
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

My lights didn't go out until after the seals were replaced... go figure.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #28
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Got the gaskets replaced a few weeks ago. Just noticed that there is some gasket material inside of the left back up light. I will get them to fix it when it is in for service sometime.

Update:
When I brought the car in for its 2011 annual service they replaced the tail light with the gasket material in it with one from a new car. Otherwise I would have had to wait for a replacement light.

Last edited by m_thompson; 08-12-2011 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 01:28 AM   #29
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
reporting my driver side tail light went out last night
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #30
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkx5m View Post
reporting my driver side tail light went out last night

Me too
      09-12-2010, 01:50 AM   #31
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I've had issues...

I took my 135 in for the seatbelt pre-tension recall last Wednesday. I didn't even know about the tail light recall and I guess they replaced the seals on them while I was there.

I don't know if it was a coincidence or not but the next day an indicator light went on saying that one of my lights is out and sure enough, the right rear brake light is out. The ironic thing is that everything was working perfectly fine before I brought it in and now I'm kind of angry. I'm guessing they had to remove the lights and didn't reinstall them correctly? The light was kind of intermittent at first but now it doesn't work at all.

My brother has a 128 and he has had his rear lights replaced twice already.
      09-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #32
bakuretsu
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2009 128i Coupe

I had the wonderful "belt pretensioner" recall on my 128 so I took it in for that and also requested that they do something about the third brake light, cracked for the second time three months after replacement. They replaced it without a worry and my printed record states:

REPLACED LIGHT AND MODIFIED TAB AND TOUCH UP. REINSTALLED WITH NEW SPRINGS L/C 6325500 6399000 (WT PER SIB)

I also see three items on the parts list:

THIRD STOPLA, HEX NUT, and SPRING FOR C

So clearly they have figured something out since the last time I had it replaced. The SIB mentioned in this thread applied to '08 128 cars manufactured up to July, mine was manufactured in December.

If there's anyone out there having the same problem, it should be resolved easily now.

EDIT: The SIB mentioned earlier in the thread for the tail light seals is 63 03 10, they did that for me too without mentioning it. The SIB I wrote about here, which is specifically for the third brake light situation is 63 10 08.

Last edited by bakuretsu; 09-15-2010 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #33
goobs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Third tail light replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakuretsu View Post
I had the wonderful "belt pretensioner" recall on my 128 so I took it in for that and also requested that they do something about the third brake light, cracked for the second time three months after replacement. They replaced it without a worry and my printed record states:

REPLACED LIGHT AND MODIFIED TAB AND TOUCH UP. REINSTALLED WITH NEW SPRINGS L/C 6325500 6399000 (WT PER SIB)

I also see three items on the parts list:

THIRD STOPLA, HEX NUT, and SPRING FOR C

So clearly they have figured something out since the last time I had it replaced. The SIB mentioned in this thread applied to '08 128 cars manufactured up to July, mine was manufactured in December.

If there's anyone out there having the same problem, it should be resolved easily now.

EDIT: The SIB mentioned earlier in the thread for the tail light seals is 63 03 10, they did that for me too without mentioning it. The SIB I wrote about here, which is specifically for the third brake light situation is 63 10 08.

So I just had my third tail light on my 2008 BMW128i crack, I took it into to BMW of Manhattan and they said they would not replace it under warranty....

My question is did you have it replaced with BMW warranty?
What does SIB mean (sorry but I am a NB)
What dealership in Connecticut did you visit to have it replaced, if it was done by warranty?
Is this a known defect?

Thanks
Ben
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #34
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Quote:
So I just had my third tail light on my 2008 BMW128i crack, I took it into to BMW of Manhattan and they said they would not replace it under warranty....
Just out of curiousity, what was their reason for denying you warranty coverage?

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #35
goobs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

They said it was probably to someone trying to steal the unit, when the light was clearly intact and functional
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #36
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
They said it was probably to someone trying to steal the unit, when the light was clearly intact and functional

LOL, someone stealing a third brake light? Time for a new Service Advisor (or dealership!). This is a very well known issue, dealerships should be plenty familiar with it and mine already had parts in stock (twice). The same issue affected Mini Coopers in the past as well.
SI B = Service Information Bulletin
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #37
RedTRex
Digital Cerebrum
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 330ci ZHP

Garage List
2005 BMW 330ci  [0.00]
I brought mine in about a month ago for service and was notified of the gasket and seat belt recalls. All is well until yesterday when the left rear LED (tail light) went out. Went to dealer this morning and ended up getting 2 new tail lights...

FWIW - I am on 3rd brake light #4 (supposedly new design) and HPFP #2
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #38
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

I know people get upset and worked up about TSB's and "in house" recalls.
But, to me, I think it's great that a manufacturer is concerned enough to redesign a problem part and then replace it before it fails and/or after.
Why should this be a problem or concern?
It's a good thing that they own up to it and want to fix it.

My taillights were fine up till the day I went in for my first oil service.
It looks like the right rear went out that very morning. I spotted it as they were pulling the car in. I guess it could have happened a few days before and I nor anyone else noticed it.

Anyway, the tech said that they will replace both assemblies when I come back for the seat belt recall. They had the parts in stock, but I had only budgeted enough time for the oil service.

The problem I have with the replacement is that the tech didn't take his time to do it right. The left rear assembly is sitting cockeyed with a big gap between the assembly and the fender. You can see it from behind cause the LED's form a straight line across the rear. On mine the left light is at an angle. I'll probably just straighten it out myself, but I feel like going back in and have the tech redo it, cause HE got paid to do it, I'm the one making the payments. Perhaps he should have to correct his shoddy workmanship.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #39
Fone Phreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

just had driver side tail fail!! sucks cause they were lightly tinted, now gotta re-do them.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #40
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajumepke View Post
My lights didn't go out until after the seals were replaced... go figure.
Ditto here. Obviously, replacing the seals did not solve the problem, at least in my case.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #41
desty
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i 08

My right tail light stopped working yesterday, brake light still works but not the leds strips.

Do you guys remove your jb4 for this ?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 04:41 AM   #42
Chris_123d
Rep
Drives: 123d m sport coupe

Thumbs up

I've just had a read through this thread as I have just noticed that my rear o/s LED light has failed. I have a 2008 123d coupe, I have been into the dealer and they have told me that the recall didnt affect my car, but looking aorund it appears loads of people have had this issue ?? I have been told that I need to replace the whole rear light at £136. Is there anyone else form the UK on here who has had this issue? I am 1month out of warrant !

Can anyone advise where I stand on this, surely if the LED's can't be replaced they should be designed to last the life of the car, therefore 3years is premature and would likely be down to a fault?

Thanks in advance, Chris.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 05:28 AM   #43
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_123d View Post
I've just had a read through this thread as I have just noticed that my rear o/s LED light has failed. I have a 2008 123d coupe, I have been into the dealer and they have told me that the recall didnt affect my car, but looking aorund it appears loads of people have had this issue ?? I have been told that I need to replace the whole rear light at £136. Is there anyone else form the UK on here who has had this issue? I am 1month out of warrant !

Can anyone advise where I stand on this, surely if the LED's can't be replaced they should be designed to last the life of the car, therefore 3years is premature and would likely be down to a fault?

Thanks in advance, Chris.

It is not a recall per se. It is a service action - meaning IF the tail lights fail while under warranty... the dealer will replace both tails. IF you are out of warranty... you will need to inquire with BMW. They might good will the replacement.

BMW has a new design starting since Dec/2010. The new tails have different LED tube design - so I have been told.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 05:30 AM   #44
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL-J View Post
There's a new SIB out for the tail lights. It's a service action for E82 and E88 produced between August 20, 2007 and October 12, 2009.

The seals on the rear lamps emit a gas that causes damage to the electrical connectors on the LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) inside the rear lamp. In some cases, the LEDs become inoperative.

Action is to replace the seals or lamps on both sides of the car. If one of the lamps fails, both need to be replaced. If both lamps work fine, only the seals need to be replaced.
My car was built in Dec, 2009. My tails failed.
Appreciate 0