BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-01-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
///Mike135i
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: E82 M 135i

Engine management warning light - UK 135i M Sport

Hi all,

My engine management warning light is now permanently on (yellow not red).

For a couple of weeks now, when manoeuvring at low speed the limp mode indicator comes on and I have to restart the car to clear the fault and get full power back.

Even when not in limp mode the car occasionally has a minor misfire at idle, I can hear it when it bobbles and misses a beat if that makes sense.

I have the car booked in but I do 30K miles a year and need a replacement car whilst its in service so need to wait two weeks before they can fit me in. Should I be worried about driving it until it goes in?

Does this sound like a coil pack or injector issue or even HPFP, has anyone else experienced this? I have confidence in my local dealer but would like some knowledge before the car goes in so that I can better understand what the issue may be, especially when talking to them afterwards.

I am pretty sure I have read about injector problems elsewhere in the past on the N54 and my main concern is that in 18K miles my car will be out of warranty. The car has done just over 40K and if this is going to be a recurring problem in the future it may change my decision about whether I keep the car for another 40K or look to change for something else. That said I could just pay the extended warranty bill, I am aware of that.

Any knowledge on this would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Mine did this in the morning on and off over a few months. It ended up being an injector problem. Since one of the injectors was changed it has been ok.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Sidh135i
BMW Technician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Fixed an N54 today, same customer complaint. Go to your local dealer, there's an open campaign for all N54s, You'll need to get all injectors scanned and replaced if necessary. Also you'll get the most up to date HPFP, and a full programing and encoding of the car, i.e. DME, JBE, CAS, DSC, etc.

I actually brought my own car in for service. 08 135i. I've had 3 HPFP's replaced, but it was the first time I scanned my fuel injectors. I noticed a major difference after replacing the 2 injectors. Before you start the car, you're supposed to calibrate the injectors with ISTA (Integrated Service Technical Application), but I couldn't resist. I immediately noticed a smoother idle, which seems to be one of your issues.

As for your warranty, don't sweat it. All N54's have extended warranty on the fuel injectors and HPFP, so you'll walk out without paying a cent.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Jet Black | Coral Red | 6 MT | Comfort Access | 35% Tint | CF Grills | CF Mirrors | Bimmian CF Interior | CF Spoiler | M Door Sills | BMS DCI | Stett Charge Pipe | Berk Sport Muffler | Tow Plate
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

There is a general recall on the injectors in the UK - your dealer will be able to check if your car is one of those affected. I just had all my injectors replaced.

Unfortunately, there is no extended warranty in the UK on injectors or HPFP so once the car is outside the three year warranty period you're on your own (although you may be able to get BMW to help as a goodwill gesture if your car is not modified).

Jack
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 05:41 AM   #5
///Mike135i
Private First Class
England
Rep

Thanks for the responses guys, sorry I have been to busy to reply before now.

Right then! The car went in on Monday of last week to a dealer near my work as I didn't want to drive it 50 miles to the local dealer it was booked in with on the Tuesday morning. Limp mode was providing insufficient power to drive on a busy motorway safely.

They had it all last week and gave it back to me on Friday evening having changed HPFP (didn't fix the issue) and 1 of the injectors on cylinder 2 even though their checking tool gave 6 green lights.

I drove out of the forecourt and I don't think I made it 400 yards before splutter splutter, no power, limp mode. I took it straight back and I wasn't overly impressed but gave them the benefit of the doubt.

The worked on it again yesterday and found an air leak around the manifold so that replaced a few seals and wanted to keep it for an overnight test drive last night to make sure it was ok before giving it back again.

I should pick the car up later today and hope that its all fixed.

One thing as was unsure of though, is it common practice or should I say correct to change just one injector or should they not all be replaced with new? The other 5 have done 41,000 miles?

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
///Mike135i
Private First Class
England
Rep

Car still in with the dealer, two and half weeks now.

Appreciate 0