BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Blackstone report on 09 135I @ 9K miles

In contrast to what is written in the report's comments, this is actually the 6th oil service the car has had, not the 2nd (but the first sample to have a UOA).

I hope to be getting some other oil samples from the prior owner which I will also send away for analysis.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Those numbers look nearly identical to the ones from my 128i with an N51 engine when I changed the oil at 10,300 miles with 4,500 miles on the oil. My magnesium went from 950 at 1,400 miles, to 238 at 5,800 miles to 169 now, still higher than yours. Hopefully that trend will continue. My copper is 25. I hope that doesn't indicate a bearing problem.
      09-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
In contrast to what is written in the report's comments, this is actually the 6th oil service the car has had, not the 2nd (but the first sample to have a UOA).

I hope to be getting some other oil samples from the prior owner which I will also send away for analysis.
Interesting in the comments he says it's a 3.5 liter.
It's even identified as a 3.5 liter.

For a major oil analysis business you'd think they would know what engine is in the car.

The previous owner did 5 oil changes in such short mileage.
I wonder if he was just lying?
I mean, who does that?

Did the previous owner also change the filter that many times?

Last edited by RPM90; 09-24-2011 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Interesting in the comments he says it's a 3.5 liter.
It's even identified as a 3.5 liter.

For a major oil analysis business you'd think they would know what engine is in the car.

The previous owner did 5 oil changes in such short mileage.
I wonder if he was just lying?
I mean, who does that?

Did the previous owner also change the filter that many times?

I didn't even notice the 3.5, I'm going to mention that to them.

The previous owner was meticulous in the care of the car. I have all the receipts of the previous 5 oil changes with mileage and dates (all by the same BMW dealer).
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

What kind of oil was the first owner using in your car? BMW LL-1 approved???
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
Those numbers look nearly identical to the ones from my 128i with an N51 engine when I changed the oil at 10,300 miles with 4,500 miles on the oil. My magnesium went from 950 at 1,400 miles, to 238 at 5,800 miles to 169 now, still higher than yours. Hopefully that trend will continue. My copper is 25. I hope that doesn't indicate a bearing problem.
No disrespect, but honest question regarding persons who do oil analysis..

Lets take your "25" copper number for instance, and as per your statement it is an indication of bearing wear.. lets say that next time you do it, its at 345...indicating much more bearing wear.....

The question is, What would you do to lower it / correct it ????? Its not like BMW is going to replace your bearings under warranty as the car is running just fine... I means its not like its something that has a cure like if you had an infevtion and then took a pill and it went away...

Just my random thoughts ......
      09-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
What kind of oil was the first owner using in your car? BMW LL-1 approved???
The BMW Long Life Synthetic, as confirmed by BMW part numbers on all the oil service receipts.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 02:53 AM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post

Lets take your "25" copper number for instance, and as per your statement it is an indication of bearing wear.. lets say that next time you do it, its at 345...indicating much more bearing wear.....

The question is, What would you do to lower it / correct it ????? Its not like BMW is going to replace your bearings under warranty as the car is running just fine... I means its not like its something that has a cure like if you had an infevtion and then took a pill and it went away...

Well if you see something keeps getting worse and worse you can get rid of the car before it breaks..... instead of waiting for it to break and see the value tank....

I just see it as a health screening of your car;s engine....

I agree.....not much you can do about it but to do the oil changes more ofter if the levels are too high....
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Quote:

The question is, What would you do to lower it / correct it ????? Its not like BMW is going to replace your bearings under warranty as the car is running just fine...
My SA has a copy of the oil reports and are aware of the test results. I am hoping that if I have a bearing failure after the warranty runs out that the dealer or BMWNA might cover it because there was an indication of a potential problem while the warranty was in effect.
      09-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
My SA has a copy of the oil reports and are aware of the test results. I am hoping that if I have a bearing failure after the warranty runs out that the dealer or BMWNA might cover it because there was an indication of a potential problem while the warranty was in effect.

You will/would need to have it written on a Repair Order. Simply attaching it to teh RO or handing it to an SA won't work in your favor. Have it stated/written on the RO, since a RO is a legal document(in court, should it go that far).

PS: Maybe its time to get a magnetic oil drain plug? I have a UUC one on my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:

In addition to that, changing oil as often as the previous owner did, apparently did nothing to change how the engine has been wearing.
5 oil changes within 9000 miles is just plain wasteful.
One can call it meticulous, but let's be honest, it's wasteful.
The PO took perfectly good synthetic oil, 7 quarts at a time, and dumped it for no apparent reason other than to get new oil in there.

That's 1800 miles average per oil change. No standard turbo engine needs it's oil changed that often. That's excessive even in a typical 5 quart engine, let alone a 7 quart engine.

I think oil analysis is useful in that an owner can get an idea if their oil change interval should be sooner, later, or just fine.
In this case though, judging by the oil "properties", other than than oil being more viscous than it should be, it seems like still usable oil.
Why no analyst comment on whether or not you can run a longer drain interval or not?
To me that's a VERY important thing I'd want to know.

OP, did you give them the mileage of the oil being analyzed?
I wonder what his comments would be if he knew that this was the 5th oil change oil at 9K miles.

Last edited by RPM90; 09-26-2011 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #12
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's 1800 miles average per oil change. No standard turbo engine needs it's oil changed that often. That's excessive even in a typical 5 quart engine, let alone a 7 quart engine.
Sure, it sounds excessive when looking at only the mileage, but Oil change intervals are not determined by mileage alone. Assume a low mileage, 2+ year old car:

Oil service 1 at 1200 (paid by owner unless an M car)
Oil service 2 after 1 year in service (paid by BMW)
Oil service 3 after 2 years in service (paid by BMW)
Oil service 4 after 5K miles (paid by me)

That's 4 oil changes and I don't think anyone would argue that it's excessive.

My car had 2 additional oil changes, paid by the original owner, over the course of 2+ years. And it was done for a very specific reason (I'm not going to speak for him here).

Many people take the 15K interval and change every 5K or 7.5K miles. Since BMW pays for an oil change every year (if mileage is not met), it is not unreasonable to cut that in half and do 2 oil changes per year, regardless of mileage.

Quote:
Why no analyst comment on whether or not you can run a longer drain interval or not?
To me that's a VERY important thing I'd want to know.
I typically see this in Blackstone reports, not sure why it was not mentioned in mine.

Quote:
OP, did you give them the mileage of the oil being analyzed?
I wonder what his comments would be if he knew that this was the 5th oil change oil at 9K miles.
Yes, as you can see on the report, 4709. (I planned on 5K changes, made appt. when I expected to hit 5K, so a bit early).

I contacted them that it wasn't the 2nd oil change. They are going to wait to get additional earlier samples and see what the trend shows before making any conclusions.
Appreciate 0