BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
PawlyGuNNz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM 6spd MT N54

Exclamation Grinding & Clanking Noise when shifting

So when I am shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, I hear a grinding and clanking noise when I shift gears. It also makes some clicking noise when in reverse. The noise it only heard when shifting into 2nd gear. All the other gears seem to been normal. I dropped the car off at the BMW dealer for service. The adviser tells me that the car noise is within normal parameters for the car. This is when I became angry ! I argued that this is not normal and that if I test drive another 135i manual that it will not make this noise! He said that he will have the shop foreman test the car again. They finally call back and tell me that the car is making a funny noise. In the end, the transmission was replaced and I just picked up the car 2 days ago. The noise is gone and the car seems to be normal so far. The diagnosis was traced to an internal transmission issue(not specified). Luckily the car was still under the factory warranty. Do you think the car will be fine? I just don't see how a BMW tranny can go at 30,000 miles. I just purchased the car. I guess the previous owner either didn't know how to drive or beat the car.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Sounds like someone(maybe not you!?) - missed a gear change and grinded a gear. Maybe even broke some teeth of one of the gears. This is most common with/when engaging reverse gear. Then the broken gear teeth(or tooth) float around the trans oil until they get SMASHED by two gears. Then you get that noise. tick, tick, tick...

Since you have a brand new trans (or rebuilt one from BMW AG) you should be kind to each and every gear change. No fast shifts for the first few hndred miles. Maybe even for the first 1K miles. You might have your trans fluid changed after that time. Maybe ask your dealer how much that would costs. Should be under $200. It would help the trans in teh long run. I would also take your can back after a few thousand miles to have them check the trans oil level. IF you were to have any leaks 0 by the time noises happen - its too late to fix it. You'll need a fresh one.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
PawlyGuNNz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Sounds like someone(maybe not you!?) - missed a gear change and grinded a gear. Maybe even broke some teeth of one of the gears. This is most common with/when engaging reverse gear. Then the broken gear teeth(or tooth) float around the trans oil until they get SMASHED by two gears. Then you get that noise. tick, tick, tick...

Since you have a brand new trans (or rebuilt one from BMW AG) you should be kind to each and every gear change. No fast shifts for the first few hndred miles. Maybe even for the first 1K miles. You might have your trans fluid changed after that time. Maybe ask your dealer how much that would costs. Should be under $200. It would help the trans in teh long run. I would also take your can back after a few thousand miles to have them check the trans oil level. IF you were to have any leaks 0 by the time noises happen - its too late to fix it. You'll need a fresh one.

Good Luck
Thanks alot! Well I have had two previous cars, bmw 318is, and toyota celica gts both manual transmissions and I never had any problems like this. So I don't think I did it lol. So how often do should I change the transmission oil on this car? I didn't realize you had to change tranny oil on manual transmissions? Well you seem very knowledgeable and sound like you know your stuff. I also had the radio replaced because the lcd was distorted and the steering wheel was peeling off of the M wheel. This was all replace under the factory warranty. Did you purchase the BMW extended warranty? Because I am seriously considering it...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawlyGuNNz View Post
Thanks alot! Well I have had two previous cars, bmw 318is, and toyota celica gts both manual transmissions and I never had any problems like this. So I don't think I did it lol. So how often do should I change the transmission oil on this car? I didn't realize you had to change tranny oil on manual transmissions? Well you seem very knowledgeable and sound like you know your stuff. I also had the radio replaced because the lcd was distorted and the steering wheel was peeling off of the M wheel. This was all replace under the factory warranty. Did you purchase the BMW extended warranty? Because I am seriously considering it...

Well... BMW says you do not need to change the trans fluid. They would prefer you buy a new trans(or new car) when the trans fails! lol

But when you look at BMW M models... they get a 1,200 mile trans fluid change(manual trans cars, autos get no fluid change). Also... every third oil change BMW says to change the manual trans fluid and diff gear oil.

You can google Mike Miller's old school BMW service guide... and see he also reccomends trans/gear/diff fluid changes too. I would say have your (new) trans fluid changed at 1,200 miles. And then every 30K miles. Do the diff oil too. Oil is cheaper then a new trans or diff.

Dackel

PS: you can look in the DIY section for the gear fluid change DIY. For teh diff you need to suck out the old fluid since BMW doesn't give a us an oil drain. We only get a gear oil fill hole. lol
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
PawlyGuNNz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Thanks Dackel! I will definitely look into Miller's service guide and the trans oil changing...
Appreciate 0