BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

02-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Evolve Race Rear Exhaust with Stock Mid Pipe and Evolve Decat DP's

Just a quick video we made of this set up. More details including dyno charts and pictures to follow. We will be adding a N55 mid pipe next week with before and after dyno charts and video next week.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
Just a quick video we made of this set up. More details including dyno charts and pictures to follow. We will be adding a N55 mid pipe next week with before and after dyno charts and video next week.
My guess people would be interested in the following setup:
1) Stock DP
2) N55 MP
3) Evolve exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Vrumpkin
Seymour J. Vrumpkin
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

This setup sounds really crisp, love it

PS... are gloss black tips a possibility in the future?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
bklounge
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Sounds pretty similar to stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #5
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklounge View Post
Sounds pretty similar to stock.
Really, it doesn't
      03-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
WOW! That is one mean sounding little pocket rocket. The burble when you left off the throttle is so sick!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC

Hey Imran ! Still waiting for the numbers, don't forget about us ...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #8
mm1
Private
Rep
Drives: exE90 M3/ now1M

C`mon everybody, need few more orders for back box with black tips. Don`t want to go with chrome ones.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
My guess people would be interested in the following setup:
1) Stock DP
2) N55 MP
3) Evolve exhaust
Your guess is right, I am about to go exactly with that (or Maddads instead of N55). Anyone with this set up already? I assume there must be a few especially in UK.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
jan9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Your guess is right, I am about to go exactly with that (or Maddads instead of N55). Anyone with this set up already? I assume there must be a few especially in UK.
You would think so but I'm yet to here this setup! So far I've only heard it with the catless downpipes! I'm interested in the set up you are thinking of too.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan9 View Post
You would think so but I'm yet to here this setup! So far I've only heard the it with the catless downpipes! I'm interested in the set up you are thinking of too.
You are right. I was thinking that I should have missed it but after double checking the whole exhaust sub thread I could not find any sound clibs or even a word of this set up. It will take some time to receive it and installation etc. but when I have it I will post a video.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #12
DeeboSTI
Private
Rep

I have the Evolve Rear Race Exhaust & Catless down pipes with the straight thru Supersprint MP and it has a TERRIBLE resonance at 1900/2000rpm but below or above 1900/2000rpm it sounds beautiful.

But not sure I can put up with this resonace at 1900/2000rpm & after multiple calls to Evolve for advice & them not calling me back I think I may change back to standard mid pipe or even try a different exhaust system!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeboSTI View Post
I have the Evolve Rear Race Exhaust & Catless down pipes with the straight thru Supersprint MP and it has a TERRIBLE resonance at 1900/2000rpm but below or above 1900/2000rpm it sounds beautiful.

But not sure I can put up with this resonace at 1900/2000rpm & after multiple calls to Evolve for advice & them not calling me back I think I may change back to standard mid pipe or even try a different exhaust system!
I personally wouldn't go as far as getting a whole new exhaust. These BMW inline-6s tend to get raspy and resonate a lot when you get straight through exhausts. I would recommend just getting a new midpipe or welding in resonators in them.

My E46 M3 exhaust is completely straight through and I get a nasty rasp/resonance at around 2700RPM. My buddy has the same setup except for two resonators in his midpipe, his resonance is absolutely gone.

The Evolve Automotive muffler is probably one of the best I've heard for the 1M. You should keep it!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeboSTI View Post

I guess it might be hard for them to comment on a combination that includes some 3rd party stuff?

I tried the Race exhaust and catless DPs with the N55 mids - it was too loud for me full stop. Put the standard midpipes back on and I'm very happy.
      07-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #15
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
I personally wouldn't go as far as getting a whole new exhaust. These BMW inline-6s tend to get raspy and resonate a lot when you get straight through exhausts. I would recommend just getting a new midpipe or welding in resonators in them.

My E46 M3 exhaust is completely straight through and I get a nasty rasp/resonance at around 2700RPM. My buddy has the same setup except for two resonators in his midpipe, his resonance is absolutely gone.

The Evolve Automotive muffler is probably one of the best I've heard for the 1M. You should keep it!!!
+1. Your set up is too extreme for some tastes including mine. Even just the rear muffler sounds very good and I am sure I'll be fine by adding N55 mid pipe which includes a resonator. I bet my drone will be gone or minimized too. I remember that another member (clived) refrained from adding mid pipes to his set up (Evolve rear + catless dps) thinking that it would be too loud etc. and as far as I know his car is just fine. Just try the stock mids first.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
DeeboSTI
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clived View Post
I guess it might be hard for them to comment on a combination that includes some 3rd party stuff?

I tried the Race exhaust and catless DPs with the N55 mids - it was too loud for me full stop. Put the standard midpipes back on and I'm very happy.
No 3rd party stuff Clived, Evolve Race Rear exhaust is made by Supersprint & full set up was supplied by Evolve so I'm sure they it wouldn't be too hrad for them to comment.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #17
jpdb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M,M2,M2,M2C,X3M,X3MC,M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
+1. Your set up is too extreme for some tastes including mine. Even just the rear muffler sounds very good and I am sure I'll be fine by adding N55 mid pipe which includes a resonator. I bet my drone will be gone or minimized too. I remember that another member (clived) refrained from adding mid pipes to his set up (Evolve rear + catless dps) thinking that it would be too loud etc. and as far as I know his car is just fine. Just try the stock mids first.
Ozinaldo i do have the N55 Midpipes in my car and the car sounds great! Although i modified the N55 midpipes and y deleted the resonator using the resonator free Y Pipe of the BMW Performance exhaust for the 135i (which i previously owned)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #18
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprooney View Post
Ozinaldo i do have the N55 Midpipes in my car and the car sounds great! Although i modified the N55 midpipes and y deleted the resonator using the resonator free Y Pipe of the BMW Performance exhaust for the 135i (which i previously owned)
Do you get much drone with the resonator delete, on the N55 mids?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #19
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprooney View Post
If I would go just with a mid pipe and no muffler or dp change this could be a way to try for me too. But I am decided about the Evolve Race exhaust and am ordering it so all I want is a bit more deeper sound to that muffler and a touch of better flow, better response and a few ponies without making it too loud or drone etc. This, I believe the N55 mid with the resonator can provide. I want to keep the overall sound characteristics of the Evolve Race which I like a lot.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #20
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Update to my last post above: I just ordered the Evolve-Supersprint muffler together with a N55 midpipe from Imran of Evolve (thanks Imran). It should arrive in a week or so and will be installed right after. Since there are tons of well documented cases of "N55 mid only" and "Evolve-Supersprint muffler only" applications in 1Ms, I am thinking about not bothering myself to install them separately and do it at once. To my knowledge, this will be the first example of this particular combo though I suspect there must be a few in UK. I am very excited and will report here with photos, video and impressions (maybe a dyno too) when it is done.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #21
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Long Post, WARNING!

So I just installed the Evolve Race with N55 midpipe today. First sample of this combo as far as I know. Also put the car on a dyno before the exhaust install in order to have a baseline and see what it makes stock. I can't post the pictures I took here and now plus dyno chart will be sent to me tomorrow or so by mail from the shop (very late here and shop closed later than normal just because of my car so...), in the meantime I plan to make a sound clip too and post everything packed together in a separate thread as soon as I have some time.

Here I got to say that it was great service and price from Evolve (thanks Imran) for such a fine product. I also found a gem of a workshop in Santiago and met some great people thanks to fellow Forum member ///Morgan.

In a nutshell, car performed as expected (butt dyno impressions) at the dyno, no more no less; it was a Mustang Dyno, and the operator told me that it really really reads low(er than people want to see) so I should not wait anything over 280 hp or so he commented, they had 2 1Ms there previously but for install jobs merely not on dyno, I told him that it will perform better and be closer to 300 than 280, my car has just 3100 or so kms., was a quite warm day (25 to 30 Celsius) but no humidity to speak of, acceptable but not ideal fuel quality (Shell 97 RON V-Power is best we have here, I assume it is somewhere between 91 to 93 US, or 95 to 98 Euro gas), M button pressed, DSC off, a total of three runs at 4th gear, all consistent, peak power was 294,2 hp and torque was 342 lb-ft at the wheels. If I follow what I keep on hearing and what the dyno operator suggested I should take it as minimum 350+ hp and 550+ nm of torque crank, confirming what I always thought, that the stock car is closer to 360 hp and 550-560 nm torque than the factory's official numbers. The real point is now I have my baseline and car will go for another dyno run there but only after I make around 500 km. with the new exhaust and I'll see if there is any change.

And exhaust: I know everyone rightfully will want a sound clip and photos and I will provide ASAP but I have to say it is exactly like I wanted it (and the stock car) to be: calm and understated when you keep it low and very rich and strong when you press it and there are lots of tones in between. It burbles all the time Drone was still present during my first drive back home but it is much less annoying (my car had a good deal of drone between 2000 to 2900 rpm) and at a narrower band than stock (like 1800 to 2300 and less in tone), much better to my ears. I can already say that throttle has a more natural feel (default setting, non M mode) and good response. Fit, finish all top notch and very light exhaust compared to stock (did not weigh it but I remember that Imran posted when they first announced it). Overall, very refined exhaust set up for half cost of some top priced ones and far from some one-dimensional products (I mean just making loud for sake of loudness), imo fits the 1M like a glove, an enhancement of the stock sound, polishing it wherever it really needs and preserving whatever was already good; only educated eyes and ears can (quickly) tell that there is something else down there. Together with my Michelin PSS set, the exhaust kind of complete the stock car's near perfect feel and give full satisfaction. Promise: next is a separate thread which will have essentially what you guys can see and hear

Last edited by ozinaldo; 09-12-2012 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:55 AM   #22
chimanlau
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

the only thing that is holding me to pull the tricker is your next post and shipping cost.

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread