BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Raflekt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i fully loaded

Upsolute Flash 350 hp

Well , I know a dealer and he gave me a real offer for a flash cheaper than jb3 )

info: http://www.upsolute.com/index.php?op...=4&id_model=13

He told me the car will work with 12 psi after that flash, does anyone has any info of this company ? european ppl?

thank you
      08-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Audi TTS, '17 500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raflekt View Post
Well , I know a dealer and he gave me a real offer for a flash cheaper than jb3 )

He told me the car will work with 12 psi after that flash, does anyone has any info of this company ? european ppl?

thank you

I had upsolute on my 2002 VW GTI 337...it worked well, and was inexpensive. Only downside is that the chip needed to be soddered onto the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I know upsolute does lots of stuff for turbo diesel engines (VW, etc.) and people really like their stuff on those applications.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Price is $350 installed

Looks like they have a remote switcher, that can change from stock to tune. I wonder if it is available for the 1er?

I will call my local Upsolute guy and get the scoop.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
InlineSix
TwinTurbo Top Hat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

For $350 I'd dish out a little more and just get the JB3
      08-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
Raflekt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i fully loaded

I dont like piggyback , I know you can get more power with Jb3 ( i had 1.22 version ) , but I dontlike the difference when you press the gas pedal against a flashed car
      08-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I dont like piggyback , I know you can get more power with Jb3 ( i had 1.22 version ) , but I dontlike the difference when you press the gas pedal against a flashed car

Agreed. A direct chip is going to be much smoother, and safer IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Quote:

thank you
I have a flash and my car is amazing right now! I have the OE Tuning flash(http://oetuning.com/index.php/produc...35i-3-0tt.html).

From what I've seen OE Tuning has the best tune for the N54 motor. My car made 381whp and 388whp the 2nd time! The power curve is amazing pulls from 1500rpm all the way to 7200rpm! My mods are DCI, new intercooler, downpipes, that's it.

OE Tuning re-tuned my friends SL55 and he gained 70whp! Check out the links.

Here's a dyno on my car:

Here's a link to the other cars tuned by my friends at OETuning/BRENtuning that day.
http://forums.yuppieracing.net/showthread.php?t=4892
      08-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
BSM 335I
Sir Boost-a-Lot
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Honestly though for us in the US when you factor the warrant there really is no better choice than to go with a PNP harnessed piggy back.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM 335I View Post
Honestly though for us in the US when you factor the warrant there really is no better choice than to go with a PNP harnessed piggy back.
A FLASH DOESN'T EFFECT THE WARRANTY AT ALL.
      08-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM BWM 135iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
Anything that you modify to your car that creates a problem affects the warranty. Getting a Flash doesn't defacto end your warranty, but if your flash damages the car, the dealer doesn't have to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
And... what about those hidden "tuner codes" ??? When you de-install that JB3 the codes will still be in the "vault" until BMW reads them.

I am leaning towards a flash as well. Not sure which one though. Mainly for the smoothness and not dealing with throwing check engine lights all the time. Seems to me that the juice box might just be too agressive. ?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #13
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Seems like there's another new flash tune every day lately.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post

Thats a good thing too!!!

Hello...GIAC...where is your handheld switcher?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #15
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michifan View Post
Anything that you modify to your car that creates a problem affects the warranty. Getting a Flash doesn't defacto end your warranty, but if your flash damages the car, the dealer doesn't have to fix it.
You're absolutely right, but I'm not worried about that, the boost levels are lower than the JBs and I guess bottom line is, if you're going to mod your car then you have to deal with the consequences. Pay to Play as they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
OE Tuning has been around for a while, people on the east coast haven't taken advantage of it or didn't know. I think everyone kind of follows each other on the forums.

Last edited by UsualSuspect; 08-18-2010 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 05:27 AM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

I email'd UpSolute last night. This morning I had an email answer. They can only do this flash at the HQ in Austria. About a three hour drive from here (not bad). They need my car for three or four hours. Price is 399 euros complete. Not bad, I think. They seem pretty respectable to me.

here is the link to the specs of their flash tune:

http://www.upsolute.com/component/op...el,13/lang,en/
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #17
BSM 335I
Sir Boost-a-Lot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
No your wrong, The Dinan flash doesn't void warranty since it's provided by the dealership. Any flash, piggyback, or other non-factory modifications subject to your warranty being voided.

With a piggyback system it's just much easier to remove for those dealer visits.

YOU TELL WHAT YOU WOULD DO WITH THAT FLASH OF YOURS BEFORE A VISIT TO THE SERVICE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
And... what about those hidden "tuner codes" ??? When you de-install that JB3 the codes will still be in the "vault" until BMW reads them.

I am leaning towards a flash as well. Not sure which one though. Mainly for the smoothness and not dealing with throwing check engine lights all the time. Seems to me that the juice box might just be too agressive. ?
The same way you would clear your codes. BT SCANNER!
http://www.burgertuning.com/scanner.html

Do you think a flash won't throw any codes or something? Well it will I assure you. It's just much easier to deal with when you have a piggyback. You can remove the source of the problem right there and clear your codes with the BT Scanner.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #18
BSM 335I
Sir Boost-a-Lot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I email'd UpSolute last night. This morning I had an email answer. They can only do this flash at the HQ in Austria. About a three hour drive from here (not bad). They need my car for three or four hours. Price is 399 euros complete. Not bad, I think. They seem pretty respectable to me.

here is the link to the specs of their flash tune:

http://www.upsolute.com/component/op...el,13/lang,en/
3 to 4 hours to install it? What about removing it? I could do 5 JB3 installs within that time frame, and that's with the pinout. I've driven a Dinan powered 335i from the dealership and believe me I could tell no difference with the power delivery. It felt the same way the JB3 would.

IT JUST MAKES MORE SENSE TO BUY A PIGGY BACK. In the long run you will see that. Do some searches and you will find others who have flashed their ecu's and want to revert back to a piggyback due to the additional power and convenience it brings.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #19
InlineSix
TwinTurbo Top Hat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
3 to 4 hours to install it? What about removing it? I could do 5 JB3 installs within that time frame, and that's with the pinout. I've driven a Dinan powered 335i from the dealership and believe me I could tell no difference with the power delivery. It felt the same way the JB3 would.

IT JUST MAKES MORE SENSE TO BUY A PIGGY BACK. In the long run you will see that. Do some searches and you will find others who have flashed their ecu's and want to revert back to a piggyback due to the additional power and convenience it brings.
Agreed.
      08-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #20
plasar
plasar
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Vert

Garage List
Exclamation

Quote:
Come on BSM, both piggybacks and software have +s and -s, so neither solution is by its nature better.

Piggybacks are not necessarily more powerful - ex. JB1 is a rather mild tune. (Sry, chart below informative, but doesn't contain JB1 numbers... 20-30 hp, 30-40 tq)

N54 Tune Comparison Chart (Detailed)

Piggybacks are not necessarily more convenient - you have to install yourself and get your hands dirty (unless you pay someone else). You have to uninstall/reinstall before/after dealer visits. And with JB3, you have to choose a program with your gas pedal. Software is installed via the ODB port and can be "plug and play".

And regarding Dinan S2, it is in a category by itself because it backstops the 4 yr/50K mile standard US warranty. I don't think any other tune (HW nor SW) provides this.

Yes, it's "expensive" in price, but very high in "value" to many people.

Dinan Value Proposition

So choose what matches your desires, either HW or SW.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Do you think a flash won't throw any codes or something? Well it will I assure you. It's just much easier to deal with when you have a piggyback. You can remove the source of the problem right there and clear your codes with the BT Scanner.
I was talking about the hidden ecu "tuner codes". You know... the ones several ppl here on this forum have reported. They can not be earased by the BT scan tool (from what I gather). You need BMW's GT1 scan tool to read them. These "tuner codes" are stored in the ecu "somewhere else" than where the BT scan tool looks.

There have been ppl here reporting that their warranty was voided even after they removed their JB3/tune and erased the fault memory with the BT tool. So... How did THAT happen>>>? There has not been alot of talk about this here... but I have read some posts.

I serious doubt a flash will throw codes. But then again just yesterday I was reading about a flash that turns OFF the ECL and no one knows it until they try to go thru an emissions test. When they look at the ECU for Lambda values and see the O2 senors are truned off... the car fails!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #22
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM BWM 135iC

Quote:
I was talking about the hidden ecu "tuner codes". You know... the ones several ppl here on this forum have reported. They can not be earased by the BT scan tool (from what I gather). You need BMW's GT1 scan tool to read them. These "tuner codes" are stored in the ecu "somewhere else" than where the BT scan tool looks.

There have been ppl here reporting that their warranty was voided even after they removed their JB3/tune and erased the fault memory with the BT tool. So... How did THAT happen>>>? There has not been alot of talk about this here... but I have read some posts.

I serious doubt a flash will throw codes. But then again just yesterday I was reading about a flash that turns OFF the ECL and no one knows it until they try to go thru an emissions test. When they look at the ECU for Lambda values and see the O2 senors are truned off... the car fails!

Nobody has provided any evidence that the BT scanner delete doesn't permanently delete codes. And I don't want to hear about the person that 'called BMW' and got an answer - without a recording of the call.

Codes have to be stored somewhere, and right now all evidence is that the memory storage in the ECU is deleted with the BT Tool.

I've used the BT Tool to delete codes before I took my car into the dealer to have the ECU software updated. No issues.

Don't just throw out your fears without being able to back it up.
Appreciate 0