BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #89
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Ahhh, that top nut is supposed to have locktite on it.

Those cross braces are removed by a nut on the tower, and there's a round plastic cover right at the bottom of the windshield. take that off, and there's a nut to the other end of the strut braces.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #90
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

Yeah those strut braces have funny nuts too... gotta see if I can find one in the shop here.

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #91
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrutled View Post
ok, fitment news.........Fender clearance is fine front and rear!!! However because I am lowered now I am hitting the Tab that holds the fenders together. I saw a pretty clear mark on the tire So I am sure that it is that. I will borrow some tools from work tommorrow and cut those tabs away and try again soon. Camber plate was a real bitch to move.....Any suggestions on how to easily adjust? I dont think I had the nuts loose enough maybe????
I retract this statement and reverse it. Now that My tab is shaved I don't have fender clearance. Actually spent the afternoon putting paint back on the inner fender. Fenders need to be rolled.

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #92
Stig'sM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i was waiting for somebody to have the balls and put 275s in the rear, but then again I envy you, I've got 265s. props to you
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #93
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

Ok So, The car is at the body shop today to fix the fender. I bought A fender tool and heat gun to help me make room. See: http://www.eastwood.com/fender-finis...t-gun-kit.html

ABS sensors fixed tomorrow. I am going to have to retrim the new fender. I dont know if I will have time before the weekend to do that. Doesnt really matter cause I need the fender tool first. maybe next weekend for the pictures now.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #94
acivick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Dinan Sedona 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I think I will be sad to have pics before you, even though I went with smaller tires. What a project!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #95
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

Yeah. It better be all worth it in the end!!

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #96
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

update: new fender is on. Color matches. Going to be a shame to have to roll it.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #97
135gofast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
I retract this statement and reverse it. Now that My tab is shaved I don't have fender clearance. Actually spent the afternoon putting paint back on the inner fender. Fenders need to be rolled.
Without the tab you "don't have fender clearance"? Or you don't have fender clearance issues?

If you had to do it over again from scratch, would you still try to put 255s up front or go smaller?

This is some seriously interesting drama, hope it works out great in the end! Keep the posts coming.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #98
acivick
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Mine are going on now. One potential problem they brought up was hitting the upgraded oil cooler, which I didn't even think about. Crossing fingers...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #99
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135gofast View Post
Without the tab you "don't have fender clearance"? Or you don't have fender clearance issues?

If you had to do it over again from scratch, would you still try to put 255s up front or go smaller?

This is some seriously interesting drama, hope it works out great in the end! Keep the posts coming.
I would have gone smaller if I had to do it over again. I can't find anyone to roll my fenders. I might end up doing it myself, which always scares me lol. Just to repeat I do not have fender clearance with my current setup. I dunno what it would be like on stock springs though.

I would have gone 245/35 up front if it were available in anything but kuhmo's

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #100
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Quote:
I would have gone smaller if I had to do it over again. I can't find anyone to roll my fenders. I might end up doing it myself, which always scares me lol. Just to repeat I do not have fender clearance with my current setup. I dunno what it would be like on stock springs though.

I would have gone 245/35 up front if it were available in anything but kuhmo's
Larry is running a very similar setup to you. He mentioned this in his wheel thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry
I did raise the front of the car about 3/4" from these pics, because it just looks way too dumped in front.
Not sure how he raised his Eibach spring kit. When I first read this I thought he had coilovers, but he confirm in a latter post to just having standard lowering springs.

Raising a car definitely provides some amount of clearance for everything except strut tube side problems with a standard suspension (no coilover collar to raise).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #101
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
Larry is running a very similar setup to you. He mentioned this in his wheel thread:

Not sure how he raised his Eibach spring kit. When I first read this I thought he had coilovers, but he confirm in a latter post to just having standard lowering springs.

Raising a car definitely provides some amount of clearance for everything except strut tube side problems with a standard suspension (no coilover collar to raise).
yeah. You can raise the strut in the spindle. I am going to take a half inch stainless steel piece to put between the strut tab and the spindle. Should be an easy job. Larry rolled his fenders a long time ago. knowing larry he probably used a hammer, baseball bat, hair dryer, and a stick of gum.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #102
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

K. got my half inch spacers made.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #103
acivick
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
All I have to say is that I'm a very sad guy who still has his winter tires on.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #104
135gofast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post

Andy, You are truly a modern-day pioneer with this adventure.

You guys are talking me into 245/35s, probably Hankook V12s, with 275 rears. I just wanna put the camber plates on, connect the stock shocks, put on the ARC8 wheels/tires, align and go! Plus be able to switch back to the stock wheels/tires for the BMW events (so i don't have to be A class running against you guys with the 255/275 Direzza Star Spec setup!)

Here's hoping you get this sorted out soon, especially since the weather's finally decent around here.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #105
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

Ha, your going to be real close to class A!! but yes. I would suggest 245s

I hope its sorted out before april 25th. Ill be pissed if im running my damn run flats.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #106
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

update: wheel speed sensor defective. Ordered part from Dan. soon to be fixed

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #107
acivick
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Well if I can't fix the problem with my fender lining around the Dinan oil cooler, I may have some anthracite ones for sale. It's really a bummer, since they looked pretty amazing when mounted. Trying to get some more info before giving up, but I'm not optimistic at this point.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #108
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by acivick View Post
Well if I can't fix the problem with my fender lining around the Dinan oil cooler, I may have some anthracite ones for sale. It's really a bummer, since they looked pretty amazing when mounted. Trying to get some more info before giving up, but I'm not optimistic at this point.
Your problem is very unusual as discussed in the emails and phone calls back and forth. My money is on the fender liner being pushed out by something behind it (improperly re-installed fender liner), but it could be another variable as well (which i very much doubt). I wouldn't get your hopes down. If you do the tests/research as mentioned in my emails, you'll know 100% sure what is and is not the problem.

Just like with Andy, you have to go down the list to figure out what the problem is. Sometimes these installs go butter smooth other times, you hit little bumps along the way. Andy's phone call regarding the camber plates when he first called me, caught me off guard and it really made me question if the plate was defective. But it ended up being just the spring compressor. And the rattles later were resolved as well. The weirdest stuff can cause a problem.

If you really look through Scott's write up for the dinan oil cooler install with all those pictures, you can see just how many places something can get messed up.

keep your hopes up
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #109
acivick
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Still holding out hope until I can confirm what's what. Just one of those days...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #110
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

Yeah, theres a way around everything. Keep working!

Appreciate 0