BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
STL BMW
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Coupe 6MT

Just ordered Depo V2 Headlights; Please help with questions

Hey everyone, I just got my 128i about a month ago so I'm extremely new to the forum. I just ordered the Depo V2 headlights http://www.ebay.com/itm/350806435846? a couple days ago. The past couple weeks I've been trying to figure out as much as I possibly can about aftermarket headlights. From what I've read I understand the depos are pretty much plug and play. I've also read that people have experienced issues/errors when trying to convert to HID kits. With that being said I still have a couple of questions. Which aftermarket halogen headlights do you guys prefer for the hi/lo beams and signal bulbs? Preferably a headlight with a white output to match the V2 Led Rings on the Depos. I've read about invisibulbs and such for the signal lights but I'm wondering what you guys have actually done firsthand. Also whether or not you guys have recieved any tickets for headlights/signals. Thanks in advance everyone, any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
DNG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Yes, Depos are plug and play. You shouldn't have any issues with the HIDs as long as you have the error module. The low beam lights will be HID (no halogen bulbs). The only halogen bulb you'll need is for the high beams. Don't worry about which brand of halogen bulbs to get - the HID low beams will be brighter than the high beams anyway. 5000K HID match the V2 rings pretty well.

By invisibulbs, do you mean the chrome tipped corner bulbs? Those are just for looks so you don't see the egg-yolk.

Here are my V2 Depos

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
STL BMW
Rep

Those look amazing. Thanks for posting pictures. Do your V2 angel eyes look as continous/even in person as they do in your pictures? Also do you have all the stock bulbs with your setup or do you have the HID low beam as well? Yes I was referring chrome tipped corner bulbs. I was under the impression that not having the amber might be illegal? Thanks again DNG, I'm even more excited after seeing how good yours look.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 03:47 AM   #4
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

hmmm can anyone tell me if you can get depos with the eyebrow?
they look awesome without them but i do love those eyebrows haha
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
DNG
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah they still look continuous even during the day. They don't shine as bright during the day, but that's expected from a white light. I'm happy with them.

Viciousgook: I don't think Depo makes headlights with eyebrows. Maybe in the future?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousgook
Those are sonar headlights I believe

Edit lol I forgot to add. Love your headlights OP
      07-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
STL BMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousgook View Post
Greenkirby21 is right. I looked into getting the sonars but I've read they aren't as reliable. http://www.tunersdepot.com/2008-bmw-...e88-61193.html
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

the v2's actually look surprisingly good compared to v1's. these are my v1's with the LED's swapped to dual side-firing SMG LED's in 8000k

This is with 8000k angel eyes, headlights, and fog lights all lit up at once. BTW the Depo high beam bulbs are ugly as all hell and are extremely yellow, get silvania's or something better for them, even OEM.
      08-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
STL BMW
Rep

Those xenons match your angel eyes perfectly. My depos arrived today and I guess I'm going to install them with my stock halogen bulbs for now. Have any of you guys seen how the V2s look with stock bulbs or does anyone have them installed right now?
Name:  IMG_0891.JPG
Views: 12928
Size:  564.0 KB
      08-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
DNG
Private First Class
Rep

You mean just the high beams? You should be putting in HID bulbs in the projector, not your stock halogens
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Few concerns with stock-out-of-the-box DEPOs. Be diligent to keep an eye on moisture leaks. Not sure if the V2's are any different (manufacturing process) wise, but the V1 weren't sealed properly.

Check out some custom DEPOs with OSS rings and Moriomoto HID kit.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809467
      08-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
STL BMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNG View Post
You mean just the high beams? You should be putting in HID bulbs in the projector, not your stock halogens
Thanks for clearing that up DNG. I was under the impression I'd be able to get away with using all oem bulbs. I was also wondering if the stock high beams/signal bulbs would look bad in contrast with the brightness of the HID low beam and angel eyes. With that being said which HID kits do you guys prefer for the low beam? Also which HID kit do you have DNG? Your headlights are looking sexy Satalite. I read through your thread and saw you've got your angel eyes coded. Do you have to go to the dealership to get that done or can it be done elsewhere?
      08-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL 128i View Post
Thanks for clearing that up DNG. I was under the impression I'd be able to get away with using all oem bulbs. I was also wondering if the stock high beams/signal bulbs would look bad in contrast with the brightness of the HID low beam and angel eyes. With that being said which HID kits do you guys prefer for the low beam? Also which HID kit do you have DNG? Your headlights are looking sexy Satalite. I read through your thread and saw you've got your angel eyes coded. Do you have to go to the dealership to get that done or can it be done elsewhere?
Technically, you can run the depos using the stock halogen bulbs, at least that is what they say on their website. But I would say pretty much everyone runs HIDs. I believe the higher quality HID kits are the MTEC HID - they are BMW specific, and I think they do not throw codes.

More info here:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663720
      08-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #14
DNG
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes, technically you can run halogens for the low beam. I got whatever HID came came with the DEPOs - nothing specific. You should've had the option to choose between halogen or HID low beams when you both the headlights.

Personally, I don't think halogen bulbs will look good with the white LED angel eyes. Halogens would look better with the V1 yellow angel eyes.

You won't have your high beams on, on a regular basis, so having them contrast the white LED angel eyes and the HID won't really matter.

The error issue is resolved if you get the error module that comes with the HID kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #15
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Check out The Retrofit Source they sell Morimoto HID kits. That's what I used and have no errors great build quality - no Chinese knock off
      08-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
STL BMW
Rep

Here's a picture of them installed. HID kit is next on the to do list.
Attached Images

08-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
You might have to find someone in your area that can code. I found some local to do mine. They are far and few though so you might have a hard time :/
      06-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #18
Kooky Kats
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i Convertible

Coded Fishcakes

I just got my Fishcake Depo V2s coded and they are dope. Super excited.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0