BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Anyone have a front strut tower brace?

If you have installed a front strut tower brace and care to comment on brand, installations and overall satisfaction level.... I would appreciate it.

I need to get one and am finding the whole topic much more confusing than it was on the E46.

And for those that believe it's only eye candy - please, hold your comments. This is one more preparation on getting the 1er ready for the track. And undwer those conditions they DO something.

The Dinan, as always seems way overpriced. I've read a bit about the Mason Eng but need to know LOTS more...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
acivick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Dinan Sedona 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Got the Dinan one, though I do agree it's a bit overpriced. But it looks real nice next to the CF intake. The installation looked real easy for DIYers, but I had some not so easy work done at the same time. Haven't tried it on the track yet due to the weather and need for better tires, so I can't speak to how it performs.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by acivick View Post
Got the Dinan one, though I do agree it's a bit overpriced. But it looks real nice next to the CF intake. The installation looked real easy for DIYers, but I had some not so easy work done at the same time. Haven't tried it on the track yet due to the weather and need for better tires, so I can't speak to how it performs.
Can you feel a difference on the street taking turns?
      01-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's definately a nice piece but I really need something much less expensive (but still functionally sound) before I go broke on mods. I've only had the car less than a month and the list adds up to a small house in Malibu kinda bucks..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

This is the one I have:

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=358

I've written about it already here at 1addicts. Be careful with this on the track if you're already used to how your car handles without a strut brace. The front end will break loose more abrubtly than with the stock set-up. Trust me, I found out the hard way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

I have the Mason brace (with the new cross brace pieces). I know some people have had issues with the cross brace fitment but I did not have any problems. Here are my thoughts:
1. I had removed the alignment pins to gain a little more camber. I had to put the bolts back into the stock position for the brace to slide on. No biggie as removing the pins probably only gained me 0.1 of additional camber anyway.
2. The additional cross brace bolts are a pain to put on as they are right under one of the strut brace bars. You will need to use a wrench and not a socket. Once they are on there is not need to deal with them again unless you plan on removing the strut brace.
3. The lid of the stock air box cannot be removed once the brace is bolted down. To get the lid off you will need to loosen (but not remove) the strut brace. This will not be an issue if you have a non-stock CAI. Although at this point I doubt you would be able to use the Mason brace with Dinan's new CAI. I will have to see it in person to know for sure.

The Mason brace is a substantial piece of metal but does not weight that much. I think the aluminum version is only 4lbs lighter than the steel so I would go for the black powder coated steel. The brace will certainly help prevent any possible deformation of the top of the strut towers. On my convertible it helps stiffen up the front end. Not sure if it would make a difference on the already stiffer coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
acivick
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
Can you feel a difference on the street taking turns?
Hard for me to say, the winter tires start to go out before the suspension starts to work. Unfortunately, I put the tires on at the same time as the strut bar.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post

The Mason brace is a substantial piece of metal but does not weight that much. I think the aluminum version is only 4lbs lighter than the steel so I would go for the black powder coated steel. The brace will certainly help prevent any possible deformation of the top of the strut towers. On my convertible it helps stiffen up the front end. Not sure if it would make a difference on the already stiffer coupe.
Based on my experiences in the E46 and before that the E30 on the track it will make a difference. That's why I'd be doing it. I'm not at all into eye candy - at least unless it can be on my arm.......
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
Jayock
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Cross has a simple one, not nearly as reinfoced as the mason, but more like a typical brace. I think it's pretty inexpensive comparatively too. I think they have it over at **********s or J Levi SW.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayock View Post
Cross has a simple one, not nearly as reinfoced as the mason, but more like a typical brace. I think it's pretty inexpensive comparatively too. I think they have it over at **********s or J Levi SW.
Thanks VERY much for that tip. **********s has it for $380. Now to find out how good it is.....
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #11
acivick
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
There's also a BMW Perf one for about $300, haven't heard anything about it though.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
Thanks VERY much for that tip. **********s has it for $380. Now to find out how good it is.....
I've got the cross one on my car. Wrapped in CF it looks great and installation was super simple. Oil changes are a bit more difficult now because you have to remove the brace in order to get the oil cap off to fill it.

Anyway, as for performance, I've noticed basically no difference whatsoever. It might be a little tighter, but it's really hard to say.

If you haven't done so already you will get far better performance increases from coilovers or the m3 parts. After both of those the difference in performance was very noticeable unlike the strut brace.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post

Anyway, as for performance, I've noticed basically no difference whatsoever. It might be a little tighter, but it's really hard to say.

If you haven't done so already you will get far better performance increases from coilovers or the m3 parts. After both of those the difference in performance was very noticeable unlike the strut brace.
Have you been on the track with the strut brace on?

My priority order is coilovers, sways, strut brace. But I would never underestimate the oft maligned strut brace!

So another vote for the Cross

Last edited by rsjean; 01-21-2010 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #14
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There's also a BMW Perf one for about $300, haven't heard anything about it though.
That's where I get confused. It appears there are 2 - one aluminum and one CF but both for the 128 and NONE for the 135:
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #15
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post

The Mason brace is a substantial piece of metal but does not weight that much. I think the aluminum version is only 4lbs lighter than the steel so I would go for the black powder coated steel. .
So you and Yearofthe1 have the Mason. I checked the website and it looks serious. I notice you both opted for the 2 extra cross braces and what - $135 extra? You think that was needed or is it effective without them?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #16
Jayock
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

You were also reading the price for the CF brace from Cross. **********s has the aluminum version for $288. (it is a selectable option in the same order screen).
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #17
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayock View Post
You were also reading the price for the CF brace from Cross. **********s has the aluminum version for $288. (it is a selectable option in the same order screen).
Oh it gets better all the time. This could be a tie breaker!

Then it's on to the coilovers - KW, Billstein or Ground Control - but not to hijack my own thread..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #18
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
So you and Yearofthe1 have the Mason. I checked the website and it looks serious. I notice you both opted for the 2 extra cross braces and what - $135 extra? You think that was needed or is it effective without them?
The optional cross braces are only REALLY needed if you plan on upgrading to a coilover set-up that is adjusted from the top of the tower. The stock cross braces block access to this area. That being said, the Mason cross braces are substantially beefier than the stock braces.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #19
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
The optional cross braces are only REALLY needed if you plan on upgrading to a coilover set-up that is adjusted from the top of the tower. The stock cross braces block access to this area. That being said, the Mason cross braces are substantially beefier than the stock braces.
Agreed. If you get camber plates or adjustable shocks then having access to the top of the struts is important and the new cross braces provide that. The stock ones block access to the top.

If you do not need access to the top then probably best to stick with the stock braces. The Mason bar would be easier to take on and off with the stock cross bracing.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #20
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Quote:
Have you been on the track with the strut brace on?

My priority order is coilovers, sways, strut brace. But I would never underestimate the oft maligned strut brace!

So another vote for the Cross
Yes, I've taken the car to Laguna Seca and done an autocross with the brace installed. I still did not notice any difference. On this car you will get far more benefit from other suspension mods.

Quote:
Then it's on to the coilovers - KW, Billstein or Ground Control - but not to hijack my own thread..
Don't forget about the m3 parts. I would highly recommend them over any strut brace.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #21
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
Yes, I've taken the car to Laguna Seca and done an autocross with the brace installed. I still did not notice any difference. On this car you will get far more benefit from other suspension mods.

Don't forget about the m3 parts. I would highly recommend them over any strut brace.
That's truly surprizing to me. Typically at 3 day events at Road Atlanta they'd give the instructors a free afternoon to put in some serious track time for both keeping sharp and evaluating their cars. Using an on board data recorder I recorded same g's same corner and inside wheel would come up off the pavement without the brace installed and stay planted with it.

Now this was an E46 sedan which I estimated to be a bit more rigid than the E82. But again, I'm new to the 1er.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #22
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

I have the Performance CF brace. I think it makes a little difference.
Appreciate 0