BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is

135is Invoice Price

Hi Guys,

After test driving a 135i yesterday I have more or less made up my mind on the 135is. It would have been nice to have snagged up a 1M but the timing would have been impossible.

Anyways I have a few questions.

I am assuming that because the car has not been officially launched (or for that matter reviewed by anyone) I have not been able to track down an invoice price. I have calculated that the 135i is marked up by approximately 8.5% from MSRP. I presume that a 135is would have a similar markup from MSRP although I am not sure. For negotiation purposes does anyone know what the invoice is? Or can at least point me where to find it?

Does anyone know of any dealer incentives or rebates that I would be qualified to receive?

This would be my first BMW and really my first new car I have ever purchased (Never really been given anything b/c my family comes from a hard working background) so any negotiating tips/suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks for all your help in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Good luck on finding any good deal on the 135is once it is released.. History says from the 335is that the first year majority of people did not get great deals best i saw was 1k bellow MSRP which is 2~3k over invoice..

Your best option is to negotiate a 135 for invoice or $400 over invoice. then negotiate with the dealer to throw in free labor to install the PPK, you will pay for parts which will put around you around 1k over invoice.

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83 View Post
Good luck on finding any good deal on the 135is once it is released.. History says from the 335is that the first year majority of people did not get great deals best i saw was 1k bellow MSRP which is 2~3k over invoice..

Your best option is to negotiate a 135 for invoice or $400 over invoice. then negotiate with the dealer to throw in free labor to install the PPK, you will pay for parts which will put around you around 1k over invoice.
That's no good. With the packages and options I would be getting in the 135i its cheaper (on paper) to opt for the 135is. At this point I almost feel forced to buy the 135is.

A little bit frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
cpsquare8
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigiggs View Post
Hi Guys,

After test driving a 135i yesterday I have more or less made up my mind on the 135is. It would have been nice to have snagged up a 1M but the timing would have been impossible.

Anyways I have a few questions.

I am assuming that because the car has not been officially launched (or for that matter reviewed by anyone) I have not been able to track down an invoice price. I have calculated that the 135i is marked up by approximately 8.5% from MSRP. I presume that a 135is would have a similar markup from MSRP although I am not sure. For negotiation purposes does anyone know what the invoice is? Or can at least point me where to find it?

Does anyone know of any dealer incentives or rebates that I would be qualified to receive?

This would be my first BMW and really my first new car I have ever purchased (Never really been given anything b/c my family comes from a hard working background) so any negotiating tips/suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks for all your help in advance.
1. I have the full MSRP pricing sheet for the car and all available options and packages. Any BMW salesperson will print out the data if you are an interested buyer-walk in the showroom and ask. That is all I did, No secrets on MSPR or the options available. When it will be published on BMW USA's web site is anyone's guess. When you put it all in with the technology package and the premium package plus all the available items - heated seats, HK sound, backup sensors, auto headlights and anti theft it has an MSRP of 51,850 including $895 destination. The dealer invoice with the the PDI and prep comes in at approximately - best information I have seen - $48,220 - PDI and prep varies slightly by dealer and location. They do have real cost to make the car ready for delivery. So your 8.5% is in the ballpark, 7.5% on the numbers above - the 1% is the amount that a typical dealer says it will cost them to ready the car for delivery - $500 bucks - and we could debate the validity of that cost - they do need to pay to clean it, pull the plastic, gas it up, and fill out a bunch of paperwork for BMW in the pre delivery inspection.

2. Since the cars are not scheduled for delivery until fall the dealers will not know the exact financing or incentives that will be available until after 7/1 when BMW tells them - for example they may offer a loyalty incentive or a lease or financing deal. When I recently picked up my pre ordered 3 series they told me that they had to give me a 1k rebate due to delivery in April-they got 1k and I got 1k - car was ordered in January. Nice surprise.

As to negotiating a deal - if you want the car with a specific color and specific options you will need to order it. The benefit to the dealer when you do this relates to his costs. BMW requires that any new car ordered is paid for by the dealer before they manufacture it. Now realize that BMW also provides floorplan financing and a boat load of incentives to the dealers based on volumes ordered. So they are not paying cash - but financing the purchase. If it is already sold to a buyer they have a small financial benefit because they do not need to pay to put it in inventory - less interest cost to carry it on the lot. What this comes down to is how much the dealer is willing to make on the car and how the order impacts the allocation of future products.

So the issue centers on how much leg work and time do you have to spend negotiating with dealers on a car that will likely require a pre order to get how you want it versus waiting to find one on a lot or in an allocation sometime in the later part of this year. And we could also debate what is fair for a dealer to make on a car that cost them 45 to 48k depending on options. They do need to make something because if they sold it to your for cost they would not be around for very long to service it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
jetblackone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i

If you can wait until December to order there might be incentives. I got my 128i that way with free leather and $1500 holiday cash...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

It's more like 7%.

The 135is is a 135i with PPK 2, M sport and different wheels for a $4k premium. You could save $1700 at the sticker level by ordering a 135i with M sport and having a PPK 1 put on it. Of course the calculation gets murky because discounts on the 135is will be skinny but there will probably be an increase in residual value that you will not get for a regular 135i with M sport and PPK. Definitely order your car. BMW options are expensive. Dealers will get most cars with BMW assist, $650 and nearly worthless. The only options that have residual value (on a purchase) are leather, power seats, DCT and the HK upgraded stereo. The MT is a $900 deduction.
      06-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #7
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

I really like the rims. That said, just get the pe for like 850, the black grills for around 100, and put the rest of the money into a good tune that isn't the silly BMW one.

You're looking at
Jb4
Proceed
Dinan
Active autowerke

And possibly Cobb and Giac in the next... Lol I can't even guess anymore
      06-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post
I really like the rims. That said, just get the pe for like 850, the black grills for around 100, and put the rest of the money into a good tune that isn't the silly BMW one.

You're looking at
Jb4
Proceed
Dinan
Active autowerke

And possibly Cobb and Giac in the next... Lol I can't even guess anymore
Thank you all for the feedback.

The loss of the warranty is the one thing that troubles me with going aftermarket. I know some of you guys are competent mechanics (I have some mechanical skill - change the oil, bleed the brakes, etc..) but I for one am not an electronics/programming guru and would prefer not to take the risk of going out of pocket should an unfortunate event occur. This is why I particularly like this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

By the way keep the feedback coming. Any help or insight is appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

that would be the beauty of a flasher like giac/cobb... if they ever bother coming out with it. plug it into the obd2 port, tell it to remove itself, wait 15-ish minutes, done. after service do the opposite, enjoy.

jb4 isn't too bad to install/uninstall, but i'm super lazy so i just went with dinan.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

IF you join the BMWCCA ( BMW Car Club of America) I think you get a coupon good for $1K off. Also BMW if offering $750 off if you use their app. See the front page of www.BimmerPost.com

Edmunds,com seems to be fairly close in their invoice prices. Try looking at their website.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
scoobysnax
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
IF you join the BMWCCA ( BMW Car Club of America) I think you get a coupon good for $1K off. Also BMW if offering $750 off if you use their app. See the front page of www.BimmerPost.com

Edmunds,com seems to be fairly close in their invoice prices. Try looking at their website.
CCA rebate is $500 for the 1-series. That being said, try this configurator to find out the invoice price: http://www.bmwconfig.com/BmwConfig/Config.aspx
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysnax View Post
CCA rebate is $500 for the 1-series. That being said, try this configurator to find out the invoice price: http://www.bmwconfig.com/BmwConfig/Config.aspx
Thanks Guys!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
SHFT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 6MT

Make sure that if you negotiate the price of the car down don't immediately present the knowledge of rebates see what they offer you at first then go from there with your ammo! Also if you know someone that is with USAA have them get the official invoice and their special USAA pricing off their site since that is a no haggle killer kinda deal.
      06-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
One very important fact about the CCA discount is that you have to have been a member for more than one year.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #16
spotshooter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

This site has invoice pricing for the 135is (and every other BMW):

http://bmwconfig.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #17
tritonx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 128i, '92 325is

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
1992 325is  [0.00]
1994 318is  [0.00]
Is this just a USA thing, because I went to my dealer a few weeks ago and asked for it and they had no idea what I was talking about ?
      08-04-2012, 02:35 AM   #18
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

He is referring to USAA in the states. http://www.usaa.com/

But you may be able to do the same in Canada via some sort of association. But the dealer/sales person will never tell you a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritonx View Post
Is this just a USA thing, because I went to my dealer a few weeks ago and asked for it and they had no idea what I was talking about ?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #19
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

I went through USAA buying service to get a quote below invoice. I brought the quote to all of my local dealerships to see if they could/would match it. None would match, but one got very close, so I'm going to either go there or to the original place.

Need to get my ZHP sold beforehand, and I'm still debating color. Titanium or Space? I think the black mirrors will work better with Space. Then last night I started getting the itch for mineral gray. It'll probably end up looking like this for the order:

135is
SG
CR/Glacier
6-speed
Heated seats

After all discounts were said and done, the IS was only a couple grand more than the 135i M-Sport, which is more than accounted for with the parts it comes with installed.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #20
fam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is / #134

Garage List
2013 135is  [0.00]
For what it's worth I ended up agreeing to $44,750 on a 135is w/MSRP of $49,445; $1k of that was USAA and $750 in loyalty (have not included my CCA check since I'll have to get that after). Still, you definitelly shouldn't pay anywhere close to MSRP even for a new 135is.
'04 330ci (retired)
'03 325i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #21
Elwood74
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
FYI, USAA discount and CCA discount are not compatible per CCA website.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #22
Dinosaurius
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E88 135iS

FWIW, I paid below invoice on my 135is with the Ultimate Drive App test drive discount and the BMW FS Loyalty discount.

I'm also eligible for the USAA discount but I keep forgetting to use it. Still, I don't think I could have done better had I used it. I'm guessing the USAA discount is not stackable with the other discounts.