E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Windshield defect on my new 330i

06-01-2005, 08:46 AM   #1
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Unhappy Windshield defect on my new 330i

I picked up my 330i (Black Sapphire, Black leather, manual transmission, sports, cold weather, premium, iDrive, PDC). The car is FANTASTIC in every way except that I noticed a 1-inch line in the windshield that looks like some sort of dent and things look distorted through it. It is clearly a manufacturing defect.

My question is: am I better off having the windshield replaced by the dealer or living with this (at least for some time). How well would a replacement windshield fit on the new car compared to the seal and fit of the factory installation?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 08:47 AM   #2
ldpantoja
Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 330i (E90)

Take it to the dealer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 09:03 AM   #3
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

If it ain't broken, don't fix it! Seriously I would leave well enough alone. Have your dealer make a note on your service record next time you have the car in for service, but I would not replace it at this time.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 09:29 AM   #4
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '04/E53/X5/3.0/PP

Are you SURE its a defect? If so, get the thing checked out...ESPECIALLY in a first year model..If I suspect there is a piece of lint in my driveshaft, I take it in..Thats what warranties are for..Abuse it...

Ask all the people who bought CPO(or new) 2001 X5's..Most of them have spent more in repairs than the price of the car because of the lack of warranty maintenance done on them...And youll sleep better too!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #5
silverado
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozo5521
Are you SURE its a defect? If so, get the thing checked out...ESPECIALLY in a first year model..If I suspect there is a piece of lint in my driveshaft, I take it in..Thats what warranties are for..Abuse it...

Ask all the people who bought CPO(or new) 2001 X5's..Most of them have spent more in repairs than the price of the car because of the lack of warranty maintenance done on them...And youll sleep better too!
Yes, I'm sure, but I'm also getting it checked out. However, I worry about having the windshield replaced and what that might result in, e.g., imperfect seal that's not as good as the original. Anyone knows whether such a problem is likely or is replacing the windshield at the dealer a slam dunk that's unlikely to go wrong?

Last edited by silverado; 06-01-2005 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Any repair is rarely, if ever as good as the factory.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 10:13 AM   #7
Interested
Registered
Rep
Drives: 96 SAAB 9000 AERO

New Car?

If it is indeed a manufacturing defect, I would return the product for a replacement. As mentioned, a repair is never "as good as new". If this is a lease, I would just have it fixed, if you bought it, you should get a new one.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #8
silverado
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested
If it is indeed a manufacturing defect, I would return the product for a replacement. As mentioned, a repair is never "as good as new". If this is a lease, I would just have it fixed, if you bought it, you should get a new one.
It is a purchase, so you're saying I should ask for a new car?! I've already put 500 miles on this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #9
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
It is a purchase, so you're saying I should ask for a new car?! I've already put 500 miles on this car.
LOL. A new car because of a problem with the windshield.

Thousands of windshields are replaced every day. Thereīs no magic to it. If itīs bothering you have it replaced. Donīt worry about seal, glued in windshields have been around for 20 years, thereīs lots of practice with replacing them.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 11:07 AM   #10
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '04/E53/X5/3.0/PP

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure, but I'm also getting it checked out. However, I worry about having the windshield replaced and what that might result in, e.g., imperfect seal that's not as good as the original. Anyone knows whether such a problem is likely or is replacing the windshield at the dealer a slam dunk that's unlikely to go wrong?
A result that is not as good as the original?! The "orginal" is already screwed up! Like Tier said, replacing a windshield is not like replacing a transmission..These guys do this stuff all the time...And AGAIN, if they replace it, and you dont think it is done right?! WARRANTY!! They'll get it right..BELIEVE me...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 11:39 AM   #11
LWL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Garage List
Don't wait, go to the dealer right the way so they would assume its factory defect instead of your own fault. Replacement of a new car is unlikely, they would just replace the windshield.
      06-01-2005, 11:53 AM   #12
batmanwagon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah, I've had several windshields replaced due to road debris cracking them. In every case, I've had original factory glass fitted, and you can't tell the difference in terms of fit and finish if you go to a reputable place.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 12:16 PM   #13
silverado
Captain
Rep

Thanks all for your replies. I had already called and reported it to my salesman on day one and now I'm taking it in tomorrow morning to be looked at. They'll be ordering the windshield from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 01:32 PM   #14
garymazeffa
Rep
Drives: 1997 BMW 540i

I have twenty years in the auto glass business...if you can live with it...do not fit it! You break what they call the "factory seal".
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #15
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
LOL. A new car because of a problem with the windshield.

Thousands of windshields are replaced every day. Thereīs no magic to it. If itīs bothering you have it replaced. Donīt worry about seal, glued in windshields have been around for 20 years, thereīs lots of practice with replacing them.

In some cases this is not true, ex. the E30 M3 where the front windshield and rear glass are bonded to the car for extra rigidity.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 03:48 PM   #16
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymazeffa
I have twenty years in the auto glass business...if you can live with it...do not fit it! You break what they call the "factory seal".

See....someone with experience.

One of the reasons robots install the front and rear windows in because they can do it more accurate then humans and at a faster pace.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 07:30 PM   #17
Interested
Registered
Rep
Drives: 96 SAAB 9000 AERO

New or Repaired

My point is that there are stores that sell "irregular" products at a discount. Clothing for example: There may be only a slight thread "pull" that doesn't affect the function of the item, yet because the manufacturer's reputation is at stake, they will mark the item as "irregular" and sell it as such. This is for a $50 shirt! How about a $40K car?

You mean to tell me that you would pay full price for a car that has a manufacturing defect? Sure they can fix it. Will it be as good as new? NO. Therefore, you should either get a discount or a new car. Your choice.

If this is something that you will see everyday, and it will take away from your pleasure, you need to be compensated. Let's face it, none of us NEED a $40K+ car, we choose it because it gives us pleasure. That's what we are paying for.

If it was me, I wouldn't pay full price for a defective product. Just my opinion (which is worth exactly what you payed for it).
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #18
jetmechG550
Private
Rep
Drives: 02 325 Grey/Green

I developed a stress crack in my windshield and brought the car in for BMW NA to look at. They replaced no questions asked after seeing that it was cleary not caused by any kind of rock strike. The new one went in without problems and I have not had any problems since. You can't even tell it was done.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 02:34 PM   #19
silverado
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested
My point is that there are stores that sell "irregular" products at a discount. Clothing for example: There may be only a slight thread "pull" that doesn't affect the function of the item, yet because the manufacturer's reputation is at stake, they will mark the item as "irregular" and sell it as such. This is for a $50 shirt! How about a $40K car?

You mean to tell me that you would pay full price for a car that has a manufacturing defect? Sure they can fix it. Will it be as good as new? NO. Therefore, you should either get a discount or a new car. Your choice.

If this is something that you will see everyday, and it will take away from your pleasure, you need to be compensated. Let's face it, none of us NEED a $40K+ car, we choose it because it gives us pleasure. That's what we are paying for.

If it was me, I wouldn't pay full price for a defective product. Just my opinion (which is worth exactly what you payed for it).
I understand what you mean, but the warranty doesn't grant that you get a replacement car. It only says that they'll fix it. I'm not sure I would have much ground to stand on asking for a replacement car.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #20
silverado
Captain
Rep

Took it in today to be looked at and my friendly BMW technicians got black grease finger marks on the cloth covering on the column between the driver door and the windshield I can probably clean it, but just for them to look at it my car is worse off than when I took it in. What will happen when I leave it with them?! Sure I would get a new windshield, but with a finger print here, a scratch there, etc, the value becomes questionable.

It's small things like this that drive someone like me crazy: no one will be as careful with the car as I would be, period.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 06:14 AM   #21
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA
In some cases this is not true, ex. the E30 M3 where the front windshield and rear glass are bonded to the car for extra rigidity.
Thatīs what I meant. The E30 M3 was one of the first cars with glued in windshield (bonded). and that was almost twenty years ago.
My last 5 cars had bonded in winshields. With the advantages they give in chassis rigidity, nowadays, at least german carmakers, do not use anything else. The days of the sealrubber windshield are long gone.

Anyway, in German autobahn driving, with the higher speeds, a windshield will rarely make 100.000miles. Sooner or later a stone-throw will break it or put a denture in it. And since a car with a break or a puncture will not pass the mandatory road-inspection every two years (3 for a new car), lots of windshields have to be exchanged every years. I think Iīve had 5 or 6 replaced in the last 18 years (all except one were glued (bonded)), and never had trouble with the replacement. (No sealant troubles, no windnoise even at topspeed).

So unless competent glass repair shops are unknow in the US, there really shouldnīt be a problem with the exchange.

The only trick exchanging a bonded in windshield is to have the glue harden 24 hours after the replacement before moving the vehicle. Not doing so is asking for trouble.

Last edited by Tierfreund; 06-03-2005 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2005, 06:27 AM   #22
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Took it in today to be looked at and my friendly BMW technicians got black grease finger marks on the cloth covering on the column between the driver door and the windshield I can probably clean it, but just for them to look at it my car is worse off than when I took it in. What will happen when I leave it with them?! Sure I would get a new windshield, but with a finger print here, a scratch there, etc, the value becomes questionable.

It's small things like this that drive someone like me crazy: no one will be as careful with the car as I would be, period.
Now THAT should NEVER happen. Take it up with the SA and make very clear that it is not acaptable. Any mechanic worth his paycheck should know how to prevent dirtying a customer car.
Appreciate 0