BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: What transmission did you choose and why?
Steptronic 3 8.33%
DCT 8 22.22%
Manual 25 69.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

03-24-2016, 05:55 PM   #23
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglocanadian View Post
Manual , because i'm old school and enjoy the art of driving
++

For about 5 years I was stuck with the choice of my auto Mercedes (bought for wife; she didn't fall in love), her auto Volvo, or the auto classic Mustang.

I live in the Bay Area, it's may DD/commuter, I deal with traffic, blah blah blah.
I missed driving a stick so bad!
When I finally got m BMW, it had to be 6MT! So glad I chose it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 06:00 PM   #24
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

I got the dual clutch because I already drive manual proficiently and DKG is way faster.

I've always said, if shifting is your pleasure in driving, you're doing it wrong!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 09:29 PM   #25
Gerrychuck
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Manual because this is my fun car, and autos do not make a visceral connection for me on the street. Having said that, I love dct's on the track; you still have the control of the manual, but you can keep both hands on the wheel and concentrate on line, braking points, apexes and exits. This is partly due to the fact that with my size 14's, heel and toe downshifts are pretty much impossible; my toes hook up under the instrument panel even with normal shifts if I'm not careful; my heels have to stay on the floor to keep from getting stuck. Not conducive to downshifting under max braking approaching a turn on track!

So....for a fun car on the street I would stick with the manual, and if your budget means you are sticking with older N54 cars, then that's the end of the discussion from my perspective. If you have to deal with a lot of traffic or if you plan to use the car a lot on the track, and if your budget allows for newer cars, the dct could be worth having as well. My .02
Appreciate 0