E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > re: feedback from the steering, feels like their is something loose or tugging when I

09-16-2005, 04:26 PM   #1
llaroo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 325i MonacoBlue

re: feedback from the steering, feels like their is something loose or tugging when I

turn the steering wheel at slow speeds. It is a weird sensation like the actual steering wheel is loose. Only does it sometimes and it didn't come like that. I have 5500 kms on the car at this point. It is annoying to experience this sensation when you turn the steering wheel, especially when I start off, back out and turn the wheels out of my drive. Anyone else with this?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

i think im getting the same thing. or completely different. when i back out of the spot, its sooo hard for me to turn the wheel. like my power steering doesnt work in reverese or something.... its really frustrating. and i dont see what PRO's this could have
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
chris
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by llaroo
turn the steering wheel at slow speeds. It is a weird sensation like the actual steering wheel is loose. Only does it sometimes and it didn't come like that. I have 5500 kms on the car at this point. It is annoying to experience this sensation when you turn the steering wheel, especially when I start off, back out and turn the wheels out of my drive. Anyone else with this?

Yup, I get this too....it totally feels like the steering wheel is loose. Everyday when I pull into the garage I feel it. It seems like it is trying to assist you in a way.

It hasn't really done any harm to me...just a little different.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
BZTR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5, M4

I think I have the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llaroo
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
shuzmaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 325iAS

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Isn't that the option we can't buy that's in the Steering Package but was free with purchase?

I think it was the SSMFST (Super Sensitive Motion Farfernugen Steering Thingie), NO?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2005, 12:04 PM   #6
llaroo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 325i MonacoBlue

my steering is stiff however I'm generally used to that feeling. This is different. I feels like something is tugging at times and it is not just at the startup I feel it sporadically. I'm taking my car to the dealer for some other issues and I' se what they have to say about it.

I'll keep ya posted!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 08:45 AM   #7
BZTR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Any update on this issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 10:58 AM   #8
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

yes! my car was bad, and got worse. it started with the above problems, and then ended up being almost impossible to turn the wheel all the way, and i need both hands. it turned out a hose from the power steering pump blew. or broke. or something. so if you are getting this problem, you might as well take the car in now. mine now feels better then new
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 11:36 AM   #9
chris
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdheaven
yes! my car was bad, and got worse. it started with the above problems, and then ended up being almost impossible to turn the wheel all the way, and i need both hands. it turned out a hose from the power steering pump blew. or broke. or something. so if you are getting this problem, you might as well take the car in now. mine now feels better then new

hrm....my steering wheel doesn't seem like it's harder to turn but easier. during normal driving, the wheel really has great feedback but then at really slow speeds...for instance, parking, at one tiny moment during a turn the wheel loosens up and feels almost (whats the word) flimsy? It is really hard to describe it... :mad:
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 01:30 PM   #10
BZTR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I got different issue (similar to chris and llaro)
I feel some click in the steering column when I turning left or right and it’s not happening all the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2005, 02:31 PM   #11
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

I'm having this issue too...I have a steep driveway, and when turning on the steepest part of the driveway, the steering wheel has a very disconnected feeling and a rubbing sensation. I'm not sure if this is related, but I also have major shimmy at under 50 mph.

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 10:44 PM   #12
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330e90
I got different issue (similar to chris and llaro)
I feel some click in the steering column when I turning left or right and it’s not happening all the time.
My 330 auto w/o sport is doing the same. Hard to describe, but at slow speeds, when turning the steering wheel, I can sometimes feel a bump. I can't tell if it's coming from the steering itself or if it's coming through the steering column from the axle or wheels. Could it be the CV joints?

It's strange. Seems to have started at about 5,000 miles and may be getting worse? Not sure.

Anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 10:55 PM   #13
BZTR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

After numerous visits to dealer during last 8 month. Finally … yesterday they changed my steering column and the issue is gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmye90
My 330 auto w/o sport is doing the same. Hard to describe, but at slow speeds, when turning the steering wheel, I can sometimes feel a bump. I can't tell if it's coming from the steering itself or if it's coming through the steering column from the axle or wheels. Could it be the CV joints?

It's strange. Seems to have started at about 5,000 miles and may be getting worse? Not sure.

Anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2006, 09:50 PM   #14
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330e90
After numerous visits to dealer during last 8 month. Finally … yesterday they changed my steering column and the issue is gone
Did they say specifically what the problem was, and do you know if there is a technical service bulletin issued for this complaint.

I just hope my dealer doesn't look at me like I'm crazy when I try to explain this issue. I hope they'll fix it with less fuss.

Other than this, I've not had any other problems with my ride, except that the tires suck.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2006, 09:50 PM   #15
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmye90
Did they say specifically what the problem was, and do you know if there is a technical service bulletin issued for this complaint.

I just hope my dealer doesn't look at me like I'm crazy when I try to explain this issue. I hope they'll fix it with less fuss.

Other than this, I've not had any other problems with my ride, except that the tires suck.
Oh, yeah, knock on wood!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2006, 09:14 PM   #16
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update. Took my car to dealer and they want to replace my steering rack and column with what they wrote up on the work order as a REMANUFACTURED Hydro column.

I asked about this part being remanufactured and the service advisor said it's what BMW does on all their warranty parts. Also added that since this car was an 06, it was't that old a part any way.

Should I be concerned?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2006, 10:49 PM   #17
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Seems like this is a relatively common issue, and I think I'm affected by it as well. Every time I turn into my driveway, and straighten the wheel out, for a fraction of a second, the steering wheel feels like it has half of its normal amount of resistance. The infuriating thing is that I can't ever seem to reproduce it. Secondly, I also get the rubbing sensation when the wheels are nearly fully turned. The problems started only about a couple thousand miles ago (at ~12k now). Dunno if they're really getting any worse, but since they weren't there in the beginning, it seems that I may be heading to the dealership for this one.

Oh, and the steering is supposed to be hard as hell to turn in the parking lot. Carving up a back road however, the steering wheel is easy to turn and feels positively heavenly!

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #18
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
I'm pulling up an old thread because I'm wondering if I have the early symptoms of what will end in a steering column replacement. I can feel a "click" or "detente" when making a big sweeping turn at low speed. I just noticed it for the first time today. Only one click, not a click click click, and it isn't audible, but is felt in the steering wheel itself.

It's very subtle, but it definitely didn't used to be there. I have 5500 miles now. It's so subtle that it feels like a very slight bump or something through the steering wheel. It's not always reproduceable, and if I brought it in, I think my SA would think I was crazy. I don't know if they'd even feel it even if I could reproduce it. Otherwise, everything seems great. Maybe I'll wait to see if it gets worse? I've never had a CLV lockup problem.

Does this sound familiar to anyone on this thread?
      01-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #19
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Bumping this again. Any updates from anyone in this thread? Anyone else with a steering column replacement?

I've been paying more attention to this since I noticed it a few days ago. For a while, I thought it was all in my head, it's so slight.

But I can pretty much reproduce it, and can describe it better: driving slow, essentially coasting in first gear, and going left-right-left-right with the wheel like a slalom, the "bump" or "click" is right at the apex of the turn. It is right before I start turning the wheel the other way, and I feel it in the wheel. It is very slight, but feels like the steering "lets go" and grabs again, but in a half-second. It's not an audible click, just something you feel.

I may be making it sound more dangerous than it is -- it's mostly an annoyance now that I have noticed it.

It is so slight that I suspect I am at the very beginning of the problem that got worse for the guys in this thread. At normal speeds, I do not feel it. Only very slow, like when parking. I am afraid that if I take it to the dealer, they'll think I'm nuts, so unless it gets worse or really drives me crazy in the meantime, I'll wait until I get my 1-year oil change in July before I have the dealer look at it.
      01-12-2007, 09:43 PM   #20
GJR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 530i

BK- this is exactly the issue I have with my '06 330i (only 900 miles on it)!

I took it in and they replaced the "steering shaft" and "steering knuckle," today, but they said it didn't solve the problem and that they ordered an entire new "steering rack" to be installed on Tuesday. I'll keep you posted as to whether or not it helps.

Did you notice that you can reproduce the feeling/sound in the wheel at idle? That's how I showed it to my service advisor. I had him sit in the driver's seat and twist the wheel 90 degrees one way and back the other way a few times.

Either way, it's definitely an issue, and I'd take it in if I were you and have them do what they can to fix it. It's a very frustrating thing, that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #21
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR
BK- this is exactly the issue I have with my '06 330i (only 900 miles on it)!

I took it in and they replaced the "steering shaft" and "steering knuckle," today, but they said it didn't solve the problem and that they ordered an entire new "steering rack" to be installed on Tuesday. I'll keep you posted as to whether or not it helps.

Did you notice that you can reproduce the feeling/sound in the wheel at idle? That's how I showed it to my service advisor. I had him sit in the driver's seat and twist the wheel 90 degrees one way and back the other way a few times.

Either way, it's definitely an issue, and I'd take it in if I were you and have them do what they can to fix it. It's a very frustrating thing, that's for sure.
I am glad I am not going crazy. The car feels great and I have had ZERO problems except now for this steering issue at low speed, and even then, I wonder if it bugs me only because I anticipate it before it happens. Then, once it does happen, it's like -- aargh!

Let me know how it goes with the fix. If they can make it go away for you, let me know exactly what they did and I will bring that information to my SA. I do think I'll bring it in earlier than I initially thought (I was going to just let it go for like 6 months until I get the free oil change), because I think I can reproduce it for an SA and it is beginning to bug me. I just worry that they might not even be able to notice it, even when it happens. It is quite subtle, but it definitely was not there until about 5000 miles. I'll see what it's like at idle.

Thanks for replying to this thread. It seems that none of the other guys in this thread hang out here at e90post anymore.
      01-13-2007, 09:35 AM   #22
GJR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 530i

No problem BK- I will be sure to update the situation on Tuesday, if the work is complete. Keeping my fingers crossed, because I love the car otherwise.
Appreciate 0