BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #23
D CH0ZN 1
1 Series Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8fe View Post
Hi All,

My first post, new to this forum and excited to take delivery of my 09 JetBlack 135 in a week or two. Question for JB owners, which I hope has relevance to this thread:

My local BMW dealership post-sale is offering for ~$500 to put some PolySteel or something like that (paper is at home) exterior and interior sealant on my new 135 before I take delivery. Is that worth it with JetBlack cars with what JB owners here are discussing with swirls, etc.? It that sealant help fight against swirls or no and I should save my money?

Thank you for your help. Sorry for the noob question, but I was just wondering what the conscious was and whether that $500 was well-spent or not.

I had the exterior sealant done on my JB 1er because it's suppose to help protect the paint from harsh elements like bird droppings, acid rain, etc. But trust me, it does not keep it from getting swirl marks! I only said yes to the dealer because the finance guy said he'd give it to me for $200. Since BMW is paying my first two payments , I said sure, why not.

They did the treatment about a week after I got the car and I do have to say that when I got it back, the paint looked even deeper and more reflective than when I first took delivery. But because it's JB, it only lasted 48 hours.

Just like everyone is saying, the only way to hide swirl marks on a JB car is to do a great polish and wax job. Nothing looks hotter than a JB car that reflects everything around it like a mirror...

Also one other thing to note, my BMW finance guy said not to do the interior sealant - it's not worth it because the warranty doesn't cover everything in the interior (I think only covers the seats).

2009 Jet Black 135i
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #24
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CH0ZN 1 View Post
... But because it's JB, it only lasted 48 hours.
Once you protect the finish with a good sealant there should be no swirls....no swirls. Unless you scratch it. Horizontal rubbing only during wash, polish, and sealant cycles. It will last just as long as metallic if you do it correctly. If you're not up to maintaining JB then forget it, it will only give you grief if you care about your finish. If you are up to it, then you know the final look is superior to metallic black finish.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #25
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
Once you protect the finish with a good sealant there should be no swirls....no swirls. Unless you scratch it. Horizontal rubbing only during wash, polish, and sealant cycles. It will last just as long as metallic if you do it correctly. If you're not up to maintaining JB then forget it, it will only give you grief if you care about your finish. If you are up to it, then you know the final look is superior to metallic black finish.

My neighbour has a mettalic black 5 series. Nice colour and the care looks good. The mettalic doesn't look any better when it is dirty in my mind. It hides the swirl slightly better but not much. They keep it clean but they use car washes most of the time and their paint is full of swirls. I admit JB would be worse but not by much. If you are concerned about swirls..get white!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #26
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335i, JB 135i

I have an Alpine White e92 and a Jet Black 135i....the e92 always looks good, dirty or clean. The 135i always seems to be dirty and is such a pain. I'm afraid to wash it half the time for fear of adding to the swirl marks. With white you don't really care, because it's nearly impossible to see swirl marks.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 07:20 AM   #27
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsfoto View Post
I have an Alpine White e92 and a Jet Black 135i....the e92 always looks good, dirty or clean. The 135i always seems to be dirty and is such a pain. I'm afraid to wash it half the time for fear of adding to the swirl marks. With white you don't really care, because it's nearly impossible to see swirl marks.
But which looks better when it's clean?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #28
Tijuana
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
But which looks better when it's clean?

AW!!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #29
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsfoto View Post
At the risk of repeating myself, if it is worth $100 and a Sunday afternoon - the answer is ZAINO

A treatment of Z5, followed by Z2, the Z6 CS - and you are done. Buy the $100 kit - and it will last for a couple of years. It is easy to put on, it just takesa a little time. One afternoon every other month, and you are done with swirl marks. Here is what Jet Black looks like after a couple hours with Z5 and Z2
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #30
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
..... Here is what Jet Black looks like after a couple hours with Z5 and Z2
Very nice JB done correctly is far superior to metallic black IMHO. My ritual is Dawn -> Clay -> Klasse AIO X2 -> Klasse SG X2 -> Blitz carnuba topper. Spritz with QD and add topper as necessary to keep it going. There's many great products available that work extremely well if you use them correctly. The way to avoid swirls is to not do anything that will cause them when working below your protectant layer.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 07:03 AM   #31
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
Very nice The way to avoid swirls is to not do anything that will cause them when working below your protectant layer.
Yes - that is exactly right. Jet Black needs a nice protectamt/sealant right away, then it just requires maintenance. Never take it through a car wash, don't let it get dirty in the first place. Wash it with a nice clean microfiber mitt and some gel based car wash product, I use Siminoz with Carbuba, and it works great. Keep away from any dry wiping product.

If you do nothing and treat Jet Black like it is beige metallic, then yes - you are going to get swirls. It's all up to you!
Appreciate 0