BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
Vaaaan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black 135i

Thumbs up Racing Dash License Plate LEDs

Just thought I'd share some pics of these license plate LEDs (and show off my vanity plate ), got them from ECS:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...LED/ES1899491/

Much to my surpise the box that arrived was a '2 in 1' box that also included LED courtesy lights for the footwells. Not sure if that was a mistake or not but thanks ECS! I'll update with a before and after of those later

Name:  IMG_3304.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  52.6 KB
Name:  0101.JPG
Views: 1065
Size:  59.4 KB

I made sure the car was dirty so it would be easier to see the difference

Not much else to say, install was the easiest thing I've ever done on a car.
      07-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
2010AW135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

i for one wouldnt want my plate lights brighter than they need to be. why make it easier for people to read your plates =p
      07-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You know 3M made an LED euro lic plate for German makret - about two years ago. I remember seeing one at the Essen Motor Show.

One of the main selling points was people not driving up into the rear of the car at night or in dense fog. ie: being seen! At night alot of people miss judge a cars speed. Esp when there is a sudden Stua (traffic jam) i=on the Autobahn.

The 3M plate sold for 120 euros - and then you needed to go to your local DMV (KFZ) and get the land decals and TuV decals for the new 3M plate. It is back lit with white LED's.

Take a look at these pics:

without AND with 3m LED plate

So.... there is more than just the cops being able to read your back plate at night.

The only thing is.... our 1-er's already have LED lic plate lights.... so I guess these new lamps are just brighter LED ones!?!?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Vaaaan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010AW135i View Post
why make it easier for people to read your plates =p
Why get vanity plates if you're not gonna show 'em off?

@Dackelone - That backlit plate is pretty cool. There's something about it I don't like though, doesn't look 'natural'..
      07-26-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaaaan View Post
@Dackelone - That backlit plate is pretty cool. There's something about it I don't like though, doesn't look 'natural'..
I know the 3M plates look wierd in these pics. In person they look JUST like the normal German plates. It is even hard to tell the 3M plates are made of plastic.

I think VOX's Mobile (formely Auto Motor und Sport TV) show did a review of these 3M plates. They realy liked them. The biggest plus was driving in bad weather and having other cars see your car better.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I think I'd go the route of installing the EU light switch to activate the rear fogs if I want more rear end visibility.

But this is cool too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
You know 3M made an LED euro lic plate for German makret - about two years ago. I remember seeing one at the Essen Motor Show.

One of the main selling points was people not driving up into the rear of the car at night or in dense fog. ie: being seen! At night alot of people miss judge a cars speed. Esp when there is a sudden Stua (traffic jam) i=on the Autobahn.

The 3M plate sold for 120 euros - and then you needed to go to your local DMV (KFZ) and get the land decals and TuV decals for the new 3M plate. It is back lit with white LED's.

Take a look at these pics:

without AND with 3m LED plate

So.... there is more than just the cops being able to read your back plate at night.

The only thing is.... our 1-er's already have LED lic plate lights.... so I guess these new lamps are just brighter LED ones!?!?

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Mtec's are much brighter than Racing Dash
Appreciate 0