BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #23
MaC-N54-E82
G82 Love
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
If you guys need any help with the Cobb I'm a PM away. Retail pricing is not fun

Thanks guys. I mean it when I say we have the lowest price guaranteed.
Confirmed.... Their price will make you smile.
Also: FJ60, Volvo Recharge
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #24
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaC-N54-E82 View Post
Confirmed.... Their price will make you smile.
Wow I didnt realize how many of you were so happy! You guys are great!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #25
Shellacked135i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 09 335xi

Def hit up Jeff @ top gear solutions. Best Prices.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #26
llowlife
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by audimotion View Post
llowlife- where you get a deal like that???

I don't want to get anyone in trouble but you may want to check topgearsolutions
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #27
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
I would like to know where you live because I know for a fact that I see far more 335i's on the road than Evo's or STi's. You might have a case regarding 135i's, but there is no question that everybody and their grandmom has a 335i.
How many of those grandmom's want modify their brand new $50k 335i? Not only modify it but add about 80hp, potentially void their warranty and reduce the life of their engine?

Quote:

Regarding warranties, I've already read several members that have Evo X's having their warranties revoked thanks to the Cobb Accessport despite being unmarried and not in the car. If you want a link, just tell me and see that the Cobb Accessport is detectable on other platforms (not sure on BMW's). Mitsubishi is more anal regarding warranties though compared to BMW. I know that when I had my Evo9, as soon as I drove off the lot and sneezed in it, I voided my warranty.
Exactly, BMW owners should expect to have their warranty voided too. I'm willing to bet more people are willing to void the warranty on their $35k EVO (or $20k used a year later), with a $6k engine than their $50k BMW with a $12k engine. I'm also willing to bet that more EVO owners tune their car than 335i/135i owners. A good indication is the sheer size of some of the EVO forums in comparison to BMW boards. More potential customers = more profit = cheaper selling price.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #28
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
No I'm not a ceo(whatever that has to do with anything,) and I'm well aware there's more to it than pushing a few buttons. But a company like cobb, that has years of experience, should have some general idea of where to begin when it comes to reverse engineering an ecu. Its not like its the first time they've done an ecu. And let me ask you, have you ever reverse engineered an ecu? How do you that a bmw's software is sooo far beyond that of any other manufacturer? Id say that most manufacturers now are relatively close in their ecu.let me be clear, not exactly the same, but close. They all use the same sensors and input data and use it in a similar way, correct? Thes not a reason for a 30% premium, maybe $50 or so. I'm not knocking the product, just the bmw tax they're imposing
Reverse engineering small electronics and CPUs is a hobby of mine. (yes I know, I'm a nerd) but I wouldn't even attempt a modern cars ECU. The software isn't the issue, it was the encryption used to secure the ECU. At least that is what Cobb has stated. According to them encryption algorithm on BMW's was even more difficult than the supposed "unbreakable" encryption on the Nissan GTR. The Suby and EVO ECU is secured by weak encryption and they continue to use that weak encryption which allows Cobb to easily crack it for every new model year. It's so weak the hobbyists at OpenECU.org managed to crack it so you can get free tunes. Regardless you can find it below retail at several stores here in the forums which brings it more in line price-wise with the other tunes available.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 02:46 AM   #29
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
Reverse engineering small electronics and CPUs is a hobby of mine. (yes I know, I'm a nerd) but I wouldn't even attempt a modern cars ECU. The software isn't the issue, it was the encryption used to secure the ECU. At least that is what Cobb has stated. According to them encryption algorithm on BMW's was even more difficult than the supposed "unbreakable" encryption on the Nissan GTR. The Suby and EVO ECU is secured by weak encryption and they continue to use that weak encryption which allows Cobb to easily crack it for every new model year. It's so weak the hobbyists at OpenECU.org managed to crack it so you can get free tunes. Regardless you can find it below retail at several stores here in the forums which brings it more in line price-wise with the other tunes available.
This makes sense, our cars are so technologically advanced. It doesn't surprise me that BMW secured the ECU so well. I guess were paying a premium for all the engineering that had to go on behind this little device for us Bimmers.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #30
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

I'm sure you're right about the encryption and I'm sure someone will say "if you don't wanna spend the money, don't buy it." But I'm just getting tired of having to pay a premium for everything. A complete(high flow hedder, dp, midpipe, cat back) exhaust is $900 from mopar(chrysler) at a DEALER for an srt-4, some vendors want $1200 for a freakin axle back for a 1er. I just feel like were getting screwed...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #31
igzekyativ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
But I'm just getting tired of having to pay a premium for everything. A complete(high flow hedder, dp, midpipe, cat back) exhaust is $900 from mopar(chrysler) at a DEALER for an srt-4, some vendors want $1200 for a freakin axle back for a 1er. I just feel like were getting screwed...
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #32
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

Quote:
I'm sure you're right about the encryption and I'm sure someone will say "if you don't wanna spend the money, don't buy it." But I'm just getting tired of having to pay a premium for everything. A complete(high flow hedder, dp, midpipe, cat back) exhaust is $900 from mopar(chrysler) at a DEALER for an srt-4, some vendors want $1200 for a freakin axle back for a 1er. I just feel like were getting screwed...
Thing is that there are lots of people who can easily afford ferrari's but chose to buy this car and have no issue paying those prices. So as long as vendors are selling at those prices...those prices will stay.

Did you ever see the thread about who has the most ballin home garage? If you saw that, then you'd understand what I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #33
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

I bought the GIAC tune for my 335, then sold it. Great tune but GIAC told me i'm SOL in regards to tuning my 135. I get to buy it all over again. You think $1000 is expensive?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 01:53 AM   #34
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

We are an authorized dealer of COBB and can most definitely help all you 1addicts members out. Send me a PM and you will not be disappointed!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #35
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBluey View Post
Thing is that there are lots of people who can easily afford ferrari's but chose to buy this car and have no issue paying those prices. So as long as vendors are selling at those prices...those prices will stay.

Did you ever see the thread about who has the most ballin home garage? If you saw that, then you'd understand what I'm talking about.
I know what you mean, and you're absolutely right. That doesn't mean it's right though. I can't afford a ferrari, but I can afford to spend the money the vendors are charging, but I don't buy from them. When I get my cobb it'll be at a group discount or used, when I buy my dps they're gonna be racelands, my axle back is a magnaflow and my intercooler is a $700 ETS. If someone wants to spend way more than a parts worth more power to you, but I'm willing to bet my car will make just as much power with $1700 spent as a car with $4000 worth of the same parts
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #36
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

Quote:
I know what you mean, and you're absolutely right. That doesn't mean it's right though. I can't afford a ferrari, but I can afford to spend the money the vendors are charging, but I don't buy from them. When I get my cobb it'll be at a group discount or used, when I buy my dps they're gonna be racelands, my axle back is a magnaflow and my intercooler is a $700 ETS. If someone wants to spend way more than a parts worth more power to you, but I'm willing to bet my car will make just as much power with $1700 spent as a car with $4000 worth of the same parts
ya but this is BMW, just as many people (not really those here) but in the real world buy a BMW simply because it's a BMW...Same reason here many people buy the parts from expensive vendors, to be able to put that high end name on their high end car, regardless of price.

The way i look at it with tunes is simple too, want to go cheap, get a jb+ pretty easy install, modest gain, have a few more bucks, then go the jb4/procede but have to tear apart your ECU at least once and in my case about 10 times as i was back and forth to dealer a ton of times with my car. Want something you can uninstall from the drivers seat in 10 min, then cobb is the way to go...want a warranty, buy dinan, even more expensive. There are options just don't expect the cheapest to have the most features, best look or big name behind them.
      05-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #37
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

And then of course there are us N55 guys who would be happy to pay the price for a Cobb tune for our cars - but it is not yet available
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #38
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
No I'm not a ceo(whatever that has to do with anything,) and I'm well aware there's more to it than pushing a few buttons. But a company like cobb, that has years of experience, should have some general idea of where to begin when it comes to reverse engineering an ecu. Its not like its the first time they've done an ecu. And let me ask you, have you ever reverse engineered an ecu? How do you that a bmw's software is sooo far beyond that of any other manufacturer? Id say that most manufacturers now are relatively close in their ecu.let me be clear, not exactly the same, but close. They all use the same sensors and input data and use it in a similar way, correct? Thes not a reason for a 30% premium, maybe $50 or so. I'm not knocking the product, just the bmw tax they're imposing
I agree.

BTW, it's a 50% increase.
$600 for most others and $900 for BMW.

I can somewhat understand it for the GTR as that is a limited number of potential customers compared to 1 series owners.
It's amazing the GTR doesn't cost more if one factors in the time required to potential buyers of that software.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #39
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
I hardly ever see 135i's... and like you said, everybody and their grandmom has a 335i... unforunately, that alone doesn't define the market. Most people who purchased a 335i probably got it because it was the top of the line 3 series car, not because of performance/modability/etc. Whereas with the Evo's and STIs... grandma is definitely not driving those sorts of cars. You can safely say 99% of the people who buy those cars are buying it for its performance capabilities.
Not in my experience.
335i owners tend to be more aware of enthusiastic driving and they do a lot of tuning. 328i buyers have a lot of drivers who buy the brand, and that shows in how much the 328/128 out sells the turbo versions.

BTW, that is not intended as a slam on 128/328 drivers, as there are still plenty of enthusiasts who buy those as well.

The potential buyers for BMW are any BMW that uses an N54, which is a LOT compared to EVO's or GTR's.
And even more when the N55 tune comes.

Last edited by RPM90; 05-13-2011 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #40
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roo97ss View Post
ya but this is BMW, just as many people (not really those here) but in the real world buy a BMW simply because it's a BMW...Same reason here many people buy the parts from expensive vendors, to be able to put that high end name on their high end car, regardless of price.

The way i look at it with tunes is simple too, want to go cheap, get a jb+ pretty easy install, modest gain, have a few more bucks, then go the jb4/procede but have to tear apart your ECU at least once and in my case about 10 times as i was back and forth to dealer a ton of times with my car. Want something you can uninstall from the drivers seat in 10 min, then cobb is the way to go...want a warranty, buy dinan, even more expensive. There are options just don't expect the cheapest to have the most features, best look or big name behind them.
Of course.
But, again, it's priced at a 50% premium.

No one is saying the product isn't good.
I brought up the issue of cost in comparison to the same features given to other brands for substantially less money.
It would one thing if the BMW tune offered more for the money, but does it? I don't think it does, but correct me if I'm wrong, as I did ask that before.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #41
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Regardless of the price.....the COBB AP is definitely worth the added expense. The ability to plug n play, constantly get free updates, not to mention the fact that it is freakin awesome makes it all worth it. The added power is great, this is how the car should have come. Just take the plunge.....I promise you won't regret it.

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #42
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Of course.
But, again, it's priced at a 50% premium.

No one is saying the product isn't good.
I brought up the issue of cost in comparison to the same features given to other brands for substantially less money.
It would one thing if the BMW tune offered more for the money, but does it? I don't think it does, but correct me if I'm wrong, as I did ask that before.
My understanding it that the bmw AP actually has less features available to it than is offered for the other platforms, but then again this is just stage 1... hopefully stage 2 should make the $900 pill easier to swallow lol
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #43
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
My understanding it that the bmw AP actually has less features available to it than is offered for the other platforms, but then again this is just stage 1... hopefully stage 2 should make the $900 pill easier to swallow lol
Agreed. I personally prefer flashes over piggybacks at the right price, but right now I'm sticking with jb4. Maybe when Cobb releases stage 2 with more support of bolt ons I'd consider it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 12:45 AM   #44
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
Agreed. I personally prefer flashes over piggybacks at the right price, but right now I'm sticking with jb4. Maybe when Cobb releases stage 2 with more support of bolt ons I'd consider it.
Just some food for thought the stage 1 can support full bolt ons it just doesnt reap the full benefit of them. In case you didnt know.
Appreciate 0