BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
5/19-20/2012 - HPDE Weekend at Homestead - The Good Parts

Many of you saw my other thread, and what happened at the end of the weekend. But I'm going to start putting up the good videos, because not everything was bad, actually most of it was really fun.

Before the incident car really felt good, planted and was handling better than before. Tires were a little less grippy, some track miles on them but nothing that was unpredictable.

Saturday 2012-05-19

Session 3 in HPDE 4 - Instructor Driving

Sunday 2012-05-20

Session 1

Session 2 - In the Rain

Session 3

Session 4

Last edited by yandy; 05-26-2012 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
that's more like it! btw, what's your exhaust? sounds badass.
      05-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
@kori

My exhaust is composed of CP-E Kitty less DPs, stock gutted mid-pipes with Magnaflow resonators, and the Berk race axle-back.

Thanks -- more like it is right... ER Wide body kit may be on it's way this week.
      05-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Schweet!
      05-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandyr View Post
ER Wide body kit may be on it's way this week.
Haha, excellent.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Added a short rainy wet session, was allot of fun.
      05-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
love the rear view camera in rain kicking up water. that exhaust sounds real nice and why can't I hear my exhaust through gopro? are you using the open back lid?
      05-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
love the rear view camera in rain kicking up water. that exhaust sounds real nice and why can't I hear my exhaust through gopro? are you using the open back lid?
I use the open back lid, and put cotton balls on the wholes, this filters out wind noise. But mounted in the rear bumper is easy to catch exhaust sound.
      05-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Nice videos!

Looking at the track, it seems like you managed to pick the one corner for your little "stunt" where the tires are the closest . Most other turns I think you might have been fine... That sucks.

I watched the rain video very intently because I sought we'd finally see how quick your hands are when correcting oversteer. Because surely in the rain your ~400hp car would be quite the handful. But I don't get it to be honest? Either you're the worlds smoothest driver or you have some magic traction control thing going on that we can't see. It doesn't seem like you had to correct even once - or at least I didn't see you do it.

Did you really have that much traction in the rain or were you taking it easy?
The rain should have been a great learning tool, but from the video it doesn't look like you got a whole lot out of it.

GoPro 2?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
Nice videos!

Looking at the track, it seems like you managed to pick the one corner for your little "stunt" where the tires are the closest . Most other turns I think you might have been fine... That sucks.

I watched the rain video very intently because I sought we'd finally see how quick your hands are when correcting oversteer. Because surely in the rain your ~400hp car would be quite the handful. But I don't get it to be honest? Either you're the worlds smoothest driver or you have some magic traction control thing going on that we can't see. It doesn't seem like you had to correct even once - or at least I didn't see you do it.

Did you really have that much traction in the rain or were you taking it easy?
The rain should have been a great learning tool, but from the video it doesn't look like you got a whole lot out of it.

GoPro 2?
I wasn't out in the rain trying to go out of control, but wasn't exactly taking it easy only in the obvious parts where rivers were forming. Only place I also took it easy was the banking, not exactly looking to ride up the wall. There was a couple of case where I had to correct, but nothing major hardly noticeable.

Honestly I think what happened there with my "stunt" as you put it, was more exhaustion than anything else, not just physically either. I'm not the worlds greatest driver, but I'm better than that.

p.s - lol, I don't have any magic traction control or anything, everything was off.
      05-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
I wasn't out in the rain trying to go out of control, but wasn't exactly taking it easy only in the obvious parts where rivers were forming. Only place I also took it easy was the banking, not exactly looking to ride up the wall. There was a couple of case where I had to correct, but nothing major hardly noticeable.
Don't get me wrong, wasn't criticizing you at all, I just don't understand it. The good part is that you must indeed be very, very smooth both with your steering as well as your throttle. But there still should be *some* drama. Heck, I make more corrections on the street than you do in that video

Not the greatest example, but watch my corner exit here after around the 1:12 mark:

Look at the quick steering corrections I had to make under power there. That's the kind of stuff I (and others who saw your video) are looking for.

Once you're back in the game, do a few autocrosses as I mentioned and if you get to chance to play in the wet again on the track, use your street tires (not DOT-Rs) and try to push it a bit more out of turns. Not to be faster of course - you won't be, but to experience the oversteer and practice your response to it.

Again, nice videos though - thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
Don't get me wrong, wasn't criticizing you at all, I just don't understand it. The good part is that you must indeed be very, very smooth both with your steering as well as your throttle. But there still should be *some* drama. Heck, I make more corrections on the street than you do in that video

Look at the quick steering corrections I had to make under power there. That's the kind of stuff I (and others who saw your video) are looking for.

Once you're back in the game, do a few autocrosses as I mentioned and if you get to chance to play in the wet again on the track, use your street tires (not DOT-Rs) and try to push it a bit more out of turns. Not to be faster of course - you won't be, but to experience the oversteer and practice your response to it.

Again, nice videos though - thanks for sharing!
No I hope I didn't come off like I took wrong, thanks for your advice. In that rain video my street tires were on also, which is probably why it wasn't that slippery. No way I was going out in the rain with R tires.

I've have taken everyone's advice, and auto-x is in my future, plus is allot cheaper than HPDE. There's also empty parking lots, wet and dry that I'm going to go explore. I wan't to make sure that I'm ready for next time, because there will be a next time and I need to be prepared.

so thanks again for any advice or criticism, it's well taken and trust me, I'm absorbing it all in
      05-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
I use the open back lid, and put cotton balls on the wholes, this filters out wind noise. But mounted in the rear bumper is easy to catch exhaust sound.
oh you were recording the audio from the back facing gopro. funny thing when I record from the back bumper whenever I go WOT the exhaust note starts sounding like a big vacuum cleaner but yours doesn't. I hate that vacuum cleaner sound. how come your's doesn't sound that way?
      05-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Probably different exhaust + resonators? lack of cats in the downpipes? no idea, but I like how the Berk muffler-less axle-back made it sound.
      05-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #15
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Added a few more videos, including one from Saturday with the instructor driving. My Saturday was cut short because of wastegate issues in the car, so I left early to fix.
      07-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #16
e82n54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i 6MT Alpine White

Int2str,

What are you using for data acquisition? I'd like to set that up in my car.

Sorry for the off topic post.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #17
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Great videos. Your instructor wasn't driving very well... What's up with that? You drove nicely and stayed within what you felt comfortable with for the car and yourself as a driver. Smooth and quick, nice job!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #18
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e82n54 View Post
Int2str,

What are you using for data acquisition? I'd like to set that up in my car.

Sorry for the off topic post.
I use my iphone with Harry's Laptimer, PLS WiFI ODB-II reader and an Emprum Ultimate GPS to add a 5Hz GPS to the phone, since the internal's only 1Hz.

That's about it, then I use dashware to overlay the data on the video. I don't use the iphone for video, but harry's does video if you want it to, I just use gopro camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoFast1589 View Post
Great videos. Your instructor wasn't driving very well... What's up with that? You drove nicely and stayed within what you felt comfortable with for the car and yourself as a driver. Smooth and quick, nice job!
I think it was mostly 'cause it wasn't his car and didn't want to push and maybe get out of control. Not knowing the car or what it could do had something to do with it, I can imagine.