BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #45
topherhead
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kioneo View Post
It is possible to get a shell connection to the CIC via ethernet, so my next attempt (probably this fall or winter) is to see if my theory is correct and determine what I can do to make my SSD seen.

Of note, many have reported success with the Zheino SSDs, so that is probably the simpler and easier option
The QNX 6 Partition information is VERY interesting. I was able to get the CIC to read my Samsung drive through that adapter exactly once. Then I got really excited, tried to extend the music partition and it never worked again. I was just doing straight dd images.

I thought they didn't do ethernet based communication until the F series? Or is that just for the coding part? How do you drop into a shell session with the CIC? Is it just connected though the OBD port? So many questions! If we could get root access to the CIC then I'm convinced that would be gg anything is possible territory.

I'm actually really happy about the separate flash and hdd storage though. Feels a lot safer to be monkeying around with the disk. More like working with android. (where funny enough you do the opposite, screw with the OS but leave stored data alone)

I'm actually planning on taking vacation next week so maybe I'll have time to delve head first and lose the entire week I was supposed to be relaxing to futzin' with my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 09:44 AM   #46
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by topherhead View Post
The QNX 6 Partition information is VERY interesting. I was able to get the CIC to read my Samsung drive through that adapter exactly once. Then I got really excited, tried to extend the music partition and it never worked again. I was just doing straight dd images.

I thought they didn't do ethernet based communication until the F series? Or is that just for the coding part? How do you drop into a shell session with the CIC? Is it just connected though the OBD port? So many questions! If we could get root access to the CIC then I'm convinced that would be gg anything is possible territory.

I'm actually really happy about the separate flash and hdd storage though. Feels a lot safer to be monkeying around with the disk. More like working with android. (where funny enough you do the opposite, screw with the OS but leave stored data alone)

I'm actually planning on taking vacation next week so maybe I'll have time to delve head first and lose the entire week I was supposed to be relaxing to futzin' with my car.
From what I gather, Ethernet is possible via the OBD or via the USB in the glovebox with the correct adapter. Google CIC DUB-E100. I haven't tried this yet, but I believe it works with the CIC in E-series.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 06:44 AM   #47
vincentjwm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 35d built 10/10

Has anyone had successed in cloning a working drive. I have tried with acronis true image and paragon cloning software doing sector to sector backup and restore but my 2011 x5 35d built 07/10 didn't recognize the new ssd. The navigation didn't load and had function currently not available and free space in media storage was no info. I'm not sure if it was the hard drive issue or the newer version CIC had encryption like someone mentioned. Had anyone had success with the same toshiba hard drive? I'm doing this because I want to have a back up drive. Hard drives do fail.

Note
I used super talent pata 2.5 128gb ssd and someone claimed in the other forum was successful with this drive.

Sector to sector backup took me almost 18hr and restore took me about an hr

I used ide to USB adapter for the hard drive

The cloning of the drive was complete and successful

Last edited by vincentjwm; 09-14-2015 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 08:19 AM   #48
vincentjwm
Registered
Rep

Has anyone had successed in cloning a working drive. I have tried with acronis true image and paragon cloning software doing sector to sector backup and restore but my 2011 x5 35d built 07/10 didn't recognize the new ssd. The navigation didn't load and had function currently not available and free space in media storage was no info. I'm not sure if it was the hard drive issue or the newer version CIC had encryption like someone mentioned. Had anyone had success with the same toshiba hard drive? I'm doing this because I want to have a back up of the drive. Hard drives do fail over time.

Note
I used super talent pata 2.5 128gb ssd and someone claimed in the other forum was successful with this drive.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 04:21 PM   #49
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentjwm
Has anyone had successed in cloning a working drive. I have tried with acronis true image and paragon cloning software doing sector to sector backup and restore but my 2011 x5 35d built 07/10 didn't recognize the new ssd. The navigation didn't load and had function currently not available and free space in media storage was no info. I'm not sure if it was the hard drive issue or the newer version CIC had encryption like someone mentioned. Had anyone had success with the same toshiba hard drive? I'm doing this because I want to have a back up of the drive. Hard drives do fail over time.

Note

Almost the exact same setup here with the same results. 2011 335i. Same SSD same results. I believe it is NOT encrypted but just that the CIC isn't seeing and mounting the drive. I haven't hooked up my USB ethernet dongle to it yet to read out the log messages and verify, but will post when I do (probably in the late fall).
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 10:28 PM   #50
vincentjwm
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kioneo View Post
Almost the exact same setup here with the same results. 2011 335i. Same SSD same results. I believe it is NOT encrypted but just that the CIC isn't seeing and mounting the drive. I haven't hooked up my USB ethernet dongle to it yet to read out the log messages and verify, but will post when I do (probably in the late fall).
I ordered the same Toshiba hard drive and tested it out. CIC mounted the drive and everything seemed working. That being said it's the SSD drive what causes the problem. I won't try the other SSD since my purpose is to backup the original drive but not to enhance the system.
Appreciate 0