BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2016, 06:07 AM   #23
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91, 2008 Z4

This week has been fairly productive, albeit I only had a couple hours hear and there. I think I spent maybe five and a half hours total, but I'm happy with my progress. I apologize a head of time for my pictures. I had the wrong lense on my camera, and while it took some real good closeups of my work... you really can't get as good of an idea of what I am doing or where I am working as I'd have hoped. I will reshoot some pictures later to better show my cable and routing.

I was able to get my wiring harness completed except for one short run between the doors to under the front seats. I ran out of wire so had to order from my supplier. Basically I have made a short harness which ties the mid and tweet in the doors to a four-pin connector, then from there four wires will run to under the seat into a second harness (this one a 9-pin_ which carries 6 wires to a third harness at the amp that brings both sides of the car together. Bundled with the speaker wire from under the seat to my processor are two wires (signal)from the headunit on each side.

The reason for the harnesses is so I can install and remove equipment with ease and offer a more factory-esque install.

I also spent some time looking at power cable routing. Having reviewed several others installs where they put their amp in the OEM location at the left side of the trunk. Everyone seems to have a hard time routing their power cable to and from the battery without cutting or an unsightly path across the trunk.

The stock route along the back wall of the trunk offers a clear route once you remove the plastic trim around the lock mechanism.

Using a coat hanger I routed my cable through the body along the trunk wall. I am only using 8 gauge power, so those running 4 gauge or larger may have a harder time.

I didn't feel my little class-d amp needed any more than an 8 gauge power and ground for the limited amount of power we will be pushing (85wx6channels)

The last thing I got to this week was a mounting bracket for my processor. I used some picture mat material I had to make a template, and then cut a piece of aluminum to form the bracket.

The end result will offer again an oem style mounting scheme for my components. I hope to finish this by painting and drilling mounting holes this weekend if I can.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #24
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quart View Post
Tonight I started a new project....

If anyone knows where I can find more appropriate connectors (BMW styled) let me know. I already had most of this laying around from building computers but would guess if I added it all up it wouldn't be cheap to replicate. I am guessing I have about $150 in wire, connectors and related. I will wrap the wires in cloth tape once I get the stuff I did have to order.
I thought the BMW connectors were made by AMP. But when I looked them up on RealOEM.com I found a few different designations...

You have to scroll down half a page...

SINGLE COMPONENTS WIRING HARNESS REPAIR
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...BMW-135i&mg=61

You might also want to look at this page too...

AUDIO WIRING HARNESS
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...BMW-135i&mg=65

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 11:28 PM   #25
MaC-N54-E82
G82 Love
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Great read so far and tons of information. Thanks for your contributions.
Also: FJ60, Volvo Recharge
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 11:31 PM   #26
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

hmmm this was a pretty good read *subscribed*. its nice to see these pop up in the forums, my first install i went cheap ass and just purchased the factory connectors and spliced (for the woofers and tweets)
6MT/CDV Delete/Injen Intake/berk race exhaust/ Cyba Scoops/ECS cryo rotors/Axxis ultimate pads/H&R coils/BBS LM-esque lol/BMW PE front/whiteline sway/and did i mention 2200 at 1 ohm ...eyeing the auto diff currently
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #27
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I really hope you have some grommets that I didn't see in the picture. If not, I highly suggest it. Running power wire, even properly fused, through those metal holes alone has a very realistic chance of rubbing through over time.

(I have learned this the hard way)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 06:33 AM   #28
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry for the delay in my getting back to this thread, but its been a busy few week. Since I've been away, I have installed and connected my fuse block and finished running my new wiring harness.

I also fabricated a mount for my amplifier. Since my car started as a base Stereo model, I didn't have the bracket that cars with the upgraded audio system came with so I ordered one for about $30 and made my own modifications to bolt down my amplifier.

Next I test fitted the amp and made all my connections.

Now I have a 6 channel amp (85watts/ channel) in the factory location and that is completely hidden and out of the way. I chose this Clarion over the JL 6 channel (which has nearly identical specs) due to this being a Marine grade amplifier and slightly better in the event I spilt something in the trunk or moisture builds. I also liked the screw terminals which offer a more secure/ permanent solution.

In my next update, I'll discuss these... While I don't doubt the MB Quarts and this amp will sound fine. The custom installer and competitor in me wanted something more and since I have not seen to many installs using these "entry level drivers" I figured I'd give them the justice they deserve.

Last edited by TechieCarGuy; 02-23-2016 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2016, 05:15 PM   #29
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

OK. I finally got back at my project today for a short while and there was a slight change of plan as far as what I'd hoped would be my next post. Instead of installing my new speakers, I went ahead and finished the wiring harness and hooked up my DSP.

Previously I mentioned I had and posted pictures of the Audison BitTen, however the fact that it only had 6 channels of output saw me needing to swap it out for something with additional channels. Being a fan of Audison and from what I had heard super intuitive software. I found a used BitOne and went that route.

After testing and double checking all my connection, I fired up the BitOne and was impressed with the results even with only the MB Quart speakers. After running through the initial setup and configuring the Xover points for the Quarts I did a short critical listening session and have to say that with 85Watts per channel from the Clarion and the Audison; 90% of the folks out there would be extremely happy with these results.

The MB Quarts offer a nice balance of midbass and highs and with some tweaking and the addition of the Time-alignment (and a subwoofer) I suspect that I would have a system with this combination that most would be really happy with. I do want to spend some time playing with the time-alignment and I still plan on upgrading my speakers to the new set of AudioFrog I have (more on them later), but if I was doing a review of these MB Quarts I would give them an 7 out of 10. I like my highs a little brighter and coming from the old school MB Quart Titanium tweeters the silk domes in this kit aren't doing it for me, but truth be told I was impressed with these little guys.

As for overall sound Quality of the equipment. I am getting no noise, or other issues from the system. Its as quiet as any pro-built system I have heard. I do think that the midbass under the seat and the doors could benefit from some sound deadening and I do wish there was a sub, but that is all in the plans for the next phase of this install.

Appreciate 1
      03-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #30
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

I finally have the system up and running. I do need to spend some time tuning it and it could benefit from a subwoofer, but as it is with 3way separates only upfront, 85 watts per speaker and the T/A and 31-band EQ of the Audison. This is a pretty impressive system'.

To mount my new midrange speakers, I had to fabricate a custom mounting ring for them. I ended up using a mid and tweeter by AudioFrog. However instead of using their hi-end GB series, I used the entry level GS series, since this is a modestly configured system anyway.

I used 5/8-inch MDF to make the trim rings which basically hold the drivers to the door using compression. They mount up to the factory mounting screws and to my surprise, the AudioFrogs fit behind the door panel perfectly with no binding or hitting of the window, like you find with some other speakers.

I added a small sheet of sound deadener to the area around the speaker to cut down on any vibration. I don't anticipate much anyway since I have these crossed over between 150hz and 3000 Hz, but I wanted to be thorough. I am using wire, interconnects and sound deadening from KnuKonceptz.com. An online purveyor of speaker wire, power cable and the likes. I've used them in my last two installs and for the money, you can't be them.

The Audiofrog tweeters are the GS series as well. Even though they would look pretty good flush mounted to the factory base stereo mirror triangles. I am going for a totally stealth install at this point and have them mounted behind the OEM grills. The only clue there is something special in the car are the hint of chrome from the GS mounting ring.

Next on my list is to get the three speakers tuned and do some listening to the system. When I bought the AudioFrogs I couldn't find any reviews for the GS series so plan on doing a post dedicated to my initial impressions of them, along with the MB Quart 8-inch. I am on the fence as to whether or not to replace them and am now doubting I'd get much better results with anything else.

I need to do some measuring as well and start thinking about the subwoofer system. I have two options here as well. Either showy, or stealth again. I have a single Hertz 10-inch subwoofer that I would love to use, but the box would be fairly large and deep. I also have a pair of Hybrid Audio i6SW's which are amazing little speakers and if you know anything about them, have the capability of meeting or even exceeding the output of the 10-inch Hertz in the right box. I'd love to design something to fit under the rear deck, out of the way and completely hidden. But that is a story for another day.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 11:13 PM   #31
oliverpool
Rep
Drives: 116D

Keen to know how your upgrade went!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quart View Post
I finally have the system up and running. I do need to spend some time tuning it and it could benefit from a subwoofer, but as it is with 3way separates only upfront, 85 watts per speaker and the T/A and 31-band EQ of the Audison. This is a pretty impressive system'.

<SNIP>

I need to do some measuring as well and start thinking about the subwoofer system. I have two options here as well. Either showy, or stealth again. I have a single Hertz 10-inch subwoofer that I would love to use, but the box would be fairly large and deep. I also have a pair of Hybrid Audio i6SW's which are amazing little speakers and if you know anything about them, have the capability of meeting or even exceeding the output of the 10-inch Hertz in the right box. I'd love to design something to fit under the rear deck, out of the way and completely hidden. But that is a story for another day.
Appreciate 1
ccdre337.00
      01-08-2017, 11:27 PM   #32
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverpool View Post
Keen to know how your upgrade went!
+1... I will need to do something very soon to improve my basic professional stereo setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 11:40 PM   #33
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Wow, what a great DIY! You must love the new sound.
      01-09-2017, 05:37 AM   #34
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Old thread, thanks for reviving it... I've had several iterations as far as equipment to date. I am using a pair of Hybrid Audio LS3 SE's in each door. These are tiny 3" speakers which sound amazing, and currently am using the titanium tweeter from the CDT DRT26 combo set mounted in my mirror triangles, with the 8-inch woofer from the oringinal MB Quart speaker set under the seat. I am planning on upgrading to a Hybrid Audio Tweeter once I get everything working the way I want.

This combination has proven an a amazing setup and offers superior sound quality over any other combination I tried. The Audio Frog stuff, at least the entry level I tried wasn't for me.

The big challenge I have had in this car and am still working through has been Bass, or low frequency. I was under the impression that by tapping into connections under the seat I could get a fairly full range single to feed to my Audison Bit One, however even after having the Base Stereo which is high-level changed over to Hi-Fi (which is low-level) by my mechanic with his AutoLogic, I am still having issue.

I built an enclosure for two of my Hybrid I6SW's and due to a problem with my bass signal have reverted to a test enclosure I have with a single 10 for the time being.

When I fire up the system, I can hear that the bass is there, but it is extremely attenuated. I suspect that even in the Base BMW Stereo, there is something going on as far as processing. The original system had a 6.5inch woofer under the seat. They would be crazy to send a full-range signal to a speaker like that, so I suspect there is some sort of roll-off of bass, that even my Audison can't fix. I ordered an Audio Control LCi2 to see if that will help, but may need something a little more powerful to sum and recoup the low frequencies.

Since every thing in the sub bass is not to my liking I considered this protect still a work in progress. I'll sit down and do a complete recap of the system when I can and update some pictures of a few things. Like so much, this project has been drawn out farther (and longer) than I had hoped due to a ton of changes in our household, one being selling our house and moving in to a place without a workshop.

To be continued..

Last edited by TechieCarGuy; 01-09-2017 at 05:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #35
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
What a great read! Some beautiful work, can definitely see your time in the audio industry through the quality of work and target-to-goal approach.

Really hope you keep updating even if it's not as often.

So, tallahassee area eh?
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 05:32 PM   #36
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time to document your install, Quart! I'm saddened to hear the Quarts' sound has suffered since the earlier days. I had a sweet system in my '92 GTI, with Quart's VW setup. Install was easy-peasy, and I fed them with a Phoenix Gold amp that was incredibly clean. Good times, indeed. I may or may not go the Quart route when and if I get the itch for better sound in the 2011 128i I just bought. You got me thinking, though.....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #37
DEE-83
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

Hi Quart,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but i was hoping for some advice on the HP & LP settings for the MB Quart system as i'v been struggling to find any info on the speakers.

I currenlty have the following equioment installed in a e93.

MB Quart Nsc475 4ch Amp:

4 x 75w RMS @ 4 Ohm 4 x 125w RMS @ 2 Ohm 2 x 250w RMS @ 4 Ohm HP 10-150 Hz

MB Quart Nsc750 Mono Amp:

1 x 300/500 / 750 watts RMS @ 4/2 / 1 ohms LP 40-180 Hz, subsonic 15-55 Hz

Speakers:

MB Quart QM200.3BMW 3 Way Component Speakers

Subwoofer:

MB Quart PWH 302 - 12" Dual 2 ohm In Sealed Box

I currently have the settings on the BIT ten d as follows:

Mids. - Hi - Passed @ 400 hz
Woofers - Band Pass - ( Lo - Passed @ 400 Hz & Hi - Passed @ 140 Hz )
Sub - Lo - Passed @ 140 hz

All slopes have been set 24 dB on the BIT ten D,

On a another note, I'm I right in assuming that the actual (HP / LP) settings on the amps should be matched to those on the BIT ten or are these overridden by the bit ten as the amp only goes to 150 hz.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #38
jack5qg
Registered
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Its All about the SQ!

Hi Quart Thank you for all the excellent info. I admire your time and expertise in achieving the ultimate system to your liking. Your finish product is much anticipated

I've been doing a lot of research about SQ Upgrading my base system. Not sure which Sub/Mid bass i should go with in a stealth application. If you could shed some light.

Have you been able to successfully use the existing under seat enclosure? I'd love to try the I6WS. someone in the E90 forum measured the total chamber volume to be about 1.4ft3. i was wondering if i could use the I8WS with some custom MDF rings + fiberglass+ bondo.

Did you have to block off the B pillar duct for the I6WS to maintain a smaller enclosure volume or was it just right given the narrow size of the duct?

(http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343673)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 08:02 PM   #39
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Hi all, I've been away for a while and while I have redone and reworked the system several times it appears now I may be selling the car.

That being said, the final iteration of the stereo saw a complete Hybrid Audio speaker system with the Legatia L1Pro in Aluminum pods in the A-pilars and the L3SE midranges in the stock mid locations. As for the floor mounted woofers, I never did the research to see if anything larger or more conventional would work. I was fairly happy with the MB Quart woofer that I originally installed once I got my Audison Bit One installed and tuned correctly.

I ultimately went with the requisite JL Audio XD600/6 for my 3ways and have an Audison mono amp (can't recall the model) mounted on the underside of the rear deck. Subwoofers are the two Hybrid i6Sw's in a 1.25 cu ft ported box. I have been very happy with this setup although the car has been plagued with engine noise and alternator whine almost from day one.

I recently replaced all my wiring, including RCA cables front to back and most of the whine has gone away. I still get a little-bit but have bought a new project (E91 Msport) which I am shifting my attention to and with a pending decision to sell the 1series, I have removed the Hybrid Midrange and Tweeter and am selling them (link below if the admin will let me).

I have not decided if I will leave the mono amp or sub, but will probably migrate the JL to the new car and reinstall the Sony 6channel I originally was using.

I will have to look for some pictures, but the last year I decided not to pay for my Photobucket account so lost most of those pictures and haven't been good about taking more. I am hoping the new car will offer enough a challenge that I can offer this sort of insight for it. I appreciate all the kind words, and support and must say its groups like this that make this hobby so much fun.

Hybrid Audio Speaker set For Sale https://www.ebay.com/itm/18307161585...84.m1555.l2649
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 05:37 AM   #40
FrankeyCamps
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535///135///328///435

Great detailing in your post Quart..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #41
Ta3s2
Rep
Drives: 135i